Most Under Pressure Clubs In Ulster

Started by Fear Bun Na Sceilpe, July 21, 2015, 01:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 23, 2015, 10:27:49 AM
Strabane would have a very large nationalist population and yet they have only the one team, although again there would be players from Strabane at other clubs outside the town.

The Roes take a bit of Strabane too. Derry Rd,  some of Rsilway Rd, where ASDA is and some of Curley Hill.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

omaghjoe

Quote from: oakleafgael on July 23, 2015, 09:26:44 AM
Quote from: illdecide on July 23, 2015, 09:15:09 AM
Quote from: rrhf on July 22, 2015, 11:37:52 PM
Should we stick this into the Armagh thread..

If you want ;). Lurgan was used just to show it's unique as there are not too many towns out there of that size that has as many GAA clubs (not to mention the soccer clubs). Omagh would be similar to Lurgan in size but i'd say would have a larger nationalist population yet the only club in Omagh is St Enda's but I suppose you could include Killyclougher which is on the outskirts.

Omagh has effectively three clubs to supply. Parish of Drumragh has St Enda's and Drumragh, although Drumragh's new pitch is well outside the town. Parish of Cappagh has Killyclogher. Is there any parish divides in Lurgan town? Still large amounts of the "nationalist population" in Omagh who would have limited interest, although would follow the county team when they are going well.

St Endas would be the main deal in the town, although Killyclogher would also take some players, (and viseversa!) their ptich is positioned with the intention of taking players from the Hositpal road ;). Drumragh of course also takes some townies. There is Tattyreagh of course as well which is in Drumragh parish but it does take a trickle (not many tho) from the town.

Interesting fact about Parish boundaries is that Omaghs pitch is actually in Cappagh (killyclogher) parish.

On another note I think the town could facilitate another club. GAA has definitely taken over from soccer as the main sport in the town and the numbers of youth players are a great example of this. Unfortunately many fade away when the boozzin starts and/or if they not gonna make it to the St Enda's seniors, but another club could help with the interest and there is no doubt the town could facilitate it.

oakleafgael

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 24, 2015, 10:00:33 PM

If you want ;). Lurgan was used just to show it's unique as there are not too many towns out there of that size that has as many GAA clubs (not to mention the soccer clubs). Omagh would be similar to Lurgan in size but i'd say would have a larger nationalist population yet the only club in Omagh is St Enda's but I suppose you could include Killyclougher which is on the outskirts.

Omagh has effectively three clubs to supply. Parish of Drumragh has St Enda's and Drumragh, although Drumragh's new pitch is well outside the town. Parish of Cappagh has Killyclogher. Is there any parish divides in Lurgan town? Still large amounts of the "nationalist population" in Omagh who would have limited interest, although would follow the county team when they are going well.

St Endas would be the main deal in the town, although Killyclogher would also take some players, (and viseversa!) their ptich is positioned with the intention of taking players from the Hositpal road ;). Drumragh of course also takes some townies. There is Tattyreagh of course as well which is in Drumragh parish but it does take a trickle (not many tho) from the town.

Interesting fact about Parish boundaries is that Omaghs pitch is actually in Cappagh (killyclogher) parish.

On another note I think the town could facilitate another club. GAA has definitely taken over from soccer as the main sport in the town and the numbers of youth players are a great example of this. Unfortunately many fade away when the boozzin starts and/or if they not gonna make it to the St Enda's seniors, but another club could help with the interest and there is no doubt the town could facilitate it.

Surprising that the likes of St Endas don't field a 3RD's team like Errigal, knew that about the pitch alright. Didn't know that about Tattyreagh, so that's 3 clubs in the parish then. Hard for the urban clubs to keep the interest alright, same for the rural clubs too. It will be interesting to see how Dungannon fair out now over the next while. Back into Senior after falling all the way to Junior and with their underage flying. Into the Minor A championship final and with an U14 team that won both Feile and Championship. Some unusual names on their teamsheets which is a good thing to see.

omaghjoe

Quote from: oakleafgael on July 24, 2015, 10:14:27 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on July 24, 2015, 10:00:33 PM

Surprising that the likes of St Endas don't field a 3RD's team like Errigal, knew that about the pitch alright. Didn't know that about Tattyreagh, so that's 3 clubs in the parish then. Hard for the urban clubs to keep the interest alright, same for the rural clubs too. It will be interesting to see how Dungannon fair out now over the next while. Back into Senior after falling all the way to Junior and with their underage flying. Into the Minor A championship final and with an U14 team that won both Feile and Championship. Some unusual names on their teamsheets which is a good thing to see.

Yeah b4 Drumragh built their pitch the Tatts was the only pitch in the parish. Tatts are a powerful club always admired them as despite the odd bit of players drifting in from the larger areas they have a very small pick.

2nd club would be teh way to go nothing would drum up support and interest with the townies like a proper town rival to St Endas. A new club based in the CBS training pitch there would be they way to go. Its how Drumragh got started and you got all that new housing in Coolnaguard and the Dromore road estates....it might even tempt the McMahons?

Dungannon GAA is a bit of a conudrum. When they were down in Div 3 alls you heard was that hurling was taken over and now both appear to be very strong, good to see, also good to see the new residents taking up GAA, must be a healthy proportion of Dungannon's population now.

redzone

Can't see a second team happening in Omagh I'm afraid.there would be little or no support for it. Omagh and killyclogher have b teams all the way up minor level every year so they should def try it out I'd imagine. Omagh have to b the worst supported team I've ever seen. I've seen league games were they hadn't 20 supporters at the game and them at home in Healy.

JimStynes

Quote from: illdecide on July 22, 2015, 09:33:39 AM
I'm a Clan na Gael man and am really disappointed they way we've fell down the pecking order recently and the benchmark is Crossmaglen (not just Armagh). We are an intermediate club at present and that's exactly our level at this time but I can tell you this for certain that Clan na Gael will start to progress over the next few years and within 4-5 years we will be back up to senior. I can see the progress at our club from 16's down and the numbers we have at present are excellent at underage. I know that doesn't guarantee you anything but it's def looking better that what we've had over the last few years...The great Clan na Gael teams of the 70's & 80's were special alright but I think it was a bit of a burden of the teams over the last 10-15 years, the pressure the senior teams were under from those supporters and players who played and supported them great teams demanded the same success but never delivered...(big pressure)

Clann Eireann look to be heading in the right direction and have the best 16's & 18's teams in the county, I expect them to be in senior league next year and If they can stay up for a year or two and them young lads come thru they'll be a serious outfit. (Clann Eireann have always had decent teams at underage but could never really get them thru into senior but this bunch look a different breed).

You not a Peters man sa?