Armagh v Donegal USFC 14/06/2015

Started by Agent Orange, May 17, 2015, 06:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agent Orange

The Ulster Championship proper hasn't even begun and Throne are gone. Summer will arrive in 4 weeks and hopefully Donegal will join them in the qualifiers.

always_next_year

Here's hoping Armagh can cause an upset, they certainly won't fear Donegal after today's performance.

T Fearon

Sure we nearly beat them last year.Must have at least a 50-50 chance

brokencrossbar1

Donegal will win with a bit to spare. Playing at a higher level all year so far and a game under their belt already to get the rustiness out of the system. They will dominate MF and we won't keep it kicked out to them.

bennydorano

Yeah, MF would have to be our main area of concern, has to be Findon & Ethan Rafferty, but i'm sure there'll be a fair bit of congestion in the area anyway. We also need a CHB that doesn't play for the Wolfe Tones.

naka

I think midfield will not be a problem with Ethan and findon as it will be heavily populated.
I do think that Donegal will just be cuter than us.

yellowcard

Don't see midfield being a huge issue as the Athletic Grounds is a tight field and it wasn't as if Donegal dominated Tyrone at midfield today. Armagh have a punchers chance in this game, the main concern I'd have over Armagh is defensively. They learned very little playing poor teams in the League and it's hard to know whether they have improved anything from last year and McGeeney has a huge selection headache after using so many players during the League. I'd expect the game to take the same pattern as today with Donegals better game management eventually getting the home in a tight contest.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: yellowcard on May 17, 2015, 08:00:29 PM
Don't see midfield being a huge issue as the Athletic Grounds is a tight field and it wasn't as if Donegal dominated Tyrone at midfield today. Armagh have a punchers chance in this game, the main concern I'd have over Armagh is defensively. They learned very little playing poor teams in the League and it's hard to know whether they have improved anything from last year and McGeeney has a huge selection headache after using so many players during the League. I'd expect the game to take the same pattern as today with Donegals better game management eventually getting the home in a tight contest.

To dispel this fallacy

Athletic Grounds dimensions 143 x 88 m

Croke Park dimensions 144.5m x 88m

MF will be congested but the reality is that Donegal will be doing that as much as we will,  they are the masters of it but in McElhinny and Gallagher have 2 very good players who compliment each other well.  The fact that they have been playing at a higher pace so far this season and have a championship match played already will be a key factor.

T Fearon

Disagree.50/50 game,we should have beaten Donegal last year,they're not as good now and don't have Mc Guinness.Hopefully we'll be written off as was the case against Cavan last year.

Oraisteach

Whose job is it to oil the hinges on the back door? As I see it, and. I'm not being a Nostradamus predicting this, our forwards will struggle in the quicksand of the Donegal defense, while, at the other end, Finn, foul, Murphy point.  With that glum outlook, I can only be optimistic.  Anything better than that, and we're in with a shout.

Wildweasel74

Game 70.30 at best in Donegals favour, where the big progress from Armagh since last year, they looked to have went back in some league games.

yellowcard

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 17, 2015, 08:19:42 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 17, 2015, 08:00:29 PM

To dispel this fallacy

Athletic Grounds dimensions 143 x 88 m

Croke Park dimensions 144.5m x 88m

MF will be congested but the reality is that Donegal will be doing that as much as we will,  they are the masters of it but in McElhinny and Gallagher have 2 very good players who compliment each other well.  The fact that they have been playing at a higher pace so far this season and have a championship match played already will be a key factor.

Shows how appearances can be deceptive, it's probably due to the sidelines being close to the perimeter of the field. However my point remains the same, McElhinney is not a classical midfielder but likes to ghost into space with forward runs. Gallagher is more conventional and is still one of the top players in the country from kick outs. If Armagh break even here it will be seen as a success. My biggest concern is Armaghs defence. Tyrone done brilliantly today in terms of not conceding score able free kicks and Armagh will have to do the same. We have a few serial foulers in defence who will have to alter their natural instincts, otherwise these will be crucial in what is sure to be another tight affair.

Orior

Quote from: bennydorano on May 17, 2015, 07:39:59 PM
Yeah, MF would have to be our main area of concern, has to be Findon & Ethan Rafferty, but i'm sure there'll be a fair bit of congestion in the area anyway. We also need a CHB that doesn't play for the Wolfe Tones.

Who is your preferred half back line?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

regal

Midfield shouldn't be an area of concern as we should have enough to compete well here. Findon to go up against Gallagher (should take a lot from last years QF) with rafferty / Campbell there as well.

Moriarty is suspended and he would probably have picked up McFadden. My concern would be defence as Mallon and Murray are considerably smaller / lighter than mcbrearty and McFadden. Murphy spent most of today's match around the half forward line and I would assume Vermont will follow him

Orior

We need a back row of Mallon, Donaghy and Morgan to deal with Donegal. In Donaghy fit?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians