The craziest substitutions ever made....

Started by theticklemister, May 07, 2015, 06:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

We had to sub a goalkeeper ( my cousin) for being too tired 20 odd minutes into an university game.

We were getting hammered by Coleraine and he had to run after the ball so many times, from Coleraine shots; that he was naggered.

Bingo

Senior league match about 6 years back.

Sub goes on in second half. Literally 2mins later, another sub comes on and the other sub is called back off.

"We meant to put Joe soap on actually and not you" was the explanation offered.

BennyCake

Quote from: Bingo on May 07, 2015, 06:15:57 PM

Sub goes on in second half. Literally 2mins later, another sub comes on and the other sub is called back off.

Forget the crazy substitution. His name was Joe Soap?!!

Bingo

Quote from: BennyCake on May 07, 2015, 06:36:16 PM
Quote from: Bingo on May 07, 2015, 06:15:57 PM

Forget the crazy substitution. His name was Joe Soap?!!

Its a crazy world.

blanketattack

McGeeney, 10 minutes to go in '05 semi-final v Tyrone.

Aristo 60

From the Bunker

I was going to say bringing on Enda Sheedy (ex Dub) for Mayo v Fermanagh in Markieviecz in 2003. But I checked and to my surprise he started the game. Must have been so out of the game that I thought he came on late on in the game. All I remember was he was so out of touch with the pace of the game that day.

I suppose Freeman being taken of in the 2013 Final.

muppet

Dermot Flanagan off injured....

Was it five switches as a result?
MWWSI 2017

snoopdog

twohands!!!

Has any sub who came on with just a few minutes left ever made a difference in a GAA match?

If they did they must be among a very elite club.

99.999999999999999% of subs made after the 65th minutes are pointless and there's probably a good argument to made that no substitutions should be allowed in the last 5 minutes.

J70

Quote from: twohands!!! on May 07, 2015, 08:50:00 PM
Has any sub who came on with just a few minutes left ever made a difference in a GAA match?

99.999999999999999% of subs made after the 65th minutes are pointless and there's probably a good argument to made that no substitutions should be allowed in the last 5 minutes.

When did Donaghy come on against Mayo?

J70

John Duffy came on fairly late for us against Armagh in Breffni in 1993 and rescued a draw with 2 last minute points.

Agent Orange

Denis Hollywood came off the bench in the early 90s against Fermanagh to score a couple of goals and win the game. Think we were 9 or 10 points down at one stage.

twohands!!!

Quote from: J70 on May 07, 2015, 09:07:55 PM

When did Donaghy come on against Mayo?

59th minute according to the report on Gaa.ie

twohands!!!

Quote from: Agent Orange on May 07, 2015, 09:20:18 PM
Denis Hollywood came off the bench in the early 90s against Fermanagh to score a couple of goals and win the game. Think we were 9 or 10 points down at one stage.

Found more info on this

QuoteAnd they tried. They pushed. In 1993, they drew with Armagh in Enniskillen and really had them on the ropes in the Athletic Grounds. Brewster recalls the scoreboard: they were nine points up with five minutes left and Armagh had 14 men.
Denis Hollywood, his friend and team-mate from Queen's University, came on from the bench with seven minutes left. Denis hit 2-1 before anybody knew what was happening, and deep in injury-time centre back John Grimley arrived in the Fermanagh square to deliver the coup de grace for the Orchard County. Three goals and Fermanagh were out on a scoreline of 1-16 to 4-8.

Looks like a serious contender for the exclusive "subs who came on in the last 10 minutes made made a difference club"

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/fermanagh-have-rare-chance-to-sate-great-hunger-1.945787

Quote from: J70 on May 07, 2015, 09:09:36 PM
John Duffy came on fairly late for us against Armagh in Breffni in 1993 and rescued a draw with 2 last minute points.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/john-duffy-snaps-up-second-chance-to-contribute-to-donegal-s-cause-1.1912349

QuoteOn a tar-melting afternoon in June 1993, Brian McEniff's injury-riven All-Ireland champions trailed by three points to Armagh in the closing quarter.
Duffy was warming up and, sensing that the manager was thinking of experience, he remembers saying: "Look, Brian, that game's there to be changed. I think I can do something". McEniff looked at him for a moment; he had known Duffy since the player was about 10 years old. "Right," he said. "You're going in."
He kicked a point with his first possession, then won a free which Tony Boyle converted and, with oxygen all but out, landed a deathless equaliser, an angled left foot shot kicked through a slender gap among converging orange shirts.
"The age of miracles is with us still," was how Paddy Downey began his account of the day in this paper. Donegal survived: Duffy marked his full debut by helping himself to 1-2 from play, the goal a left-foot bullet conjured from nothing.

Also looks like a decent candidate for the club - the fact that this report says last quarter muddies things a bit.

The fact that both of those are 20 years plus does give an early indicator of how scarce an event a super-sub in GAA is.

Also trying to find reports on old matches is way tougher than it should be.

I'm off to try and think of other possible candidates.