Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

southdown

Courtney

Anybody get over to Cross for Derry game?
Reading the paper seemed like a good comeback.If we only could get scoring forwards looking back to the Qualifier embarrasment in Celtic Park where we only got one point from play that day.This competition and McKenna Cup will be worthwhile if we could unearth a few ball winning scoring forwards rather the continual reliance on Donal O'Hare.

downjim

I was at the game yesterday. Down fielding a weakened side fought gallantly against a strong Derry team. Danny Savage should step up this year while O Hare from the bridge is raw but he has potential. Madine had not one of his best games for Down but he is a great young player. This comp has been useful for wee James and I hope he can blood some new players onto the squad.
Mid down Gael:has any Kilcoo players been called up.. Niall McEvoy??

our_fella

Caught both matches yesterday in Cross, and fairly enjoyed both! The point by young Kerrigan at the very end was a clinker!

Down definately had the strongest + most experienced side out of the 4. Between starting 15 and subs, I count 8/9 players who will be very close to a starting spot in Ulster! Thought the black cards to Savage + Harrison was the losing of the game!

Some call my Grimley to allow the county's u21s to play!

Courtney

Our fella you enjoyed both games but I was thinking back to The Celtic Park Embarassment we only had 3 of the starting team whereas Derry had 6 starters .
I feel it has been useful for us alright but my concerns would be bringing players in who couldn't cut it before .Liam Doyle is a bit of a punt , great fielder but really would need a serious amount of training and conditioning work , not convinced it is a wise move but I could be wrong - does offer options as a left footed free taker rather than Donal hitting them on the right wing .

our_fella

Quote from: Courtney on December 09, 2013, 09:45:38 PM
Our fella you enjoyed both games but I was thinking back to The Celtic Park Embarassment we only had 3 of the starting team whereas Derry had 6 starters .
I feel it has been useful for us alright but my concerns would be bringing players in who couldn't cut it before .Liam Doyle is a bit of a punt , great fielder but really would need a serious amount of training and conditioning work , not convinced it is a wise move but I could be wrong - does offer options as a left footed free taker rather than Donal hitting them on the right wing .

Ahh right right, didnt know you were implying to that particular match. Im not a down match btw, so i did enjoy that celtic park embarrassment ;) 

PAULD123

It is amazing how quickly fortunes can change. Right now Carr, Garvey, and Doyle are all back . Gordon mustn't be too far away and Ambrose has no fresh problems as far as I know. McGinn, O'Hagan, and Fitzpatrick have rejoined the squad and Benny has signed on for another year. We have some great young players coming through in Shay McCardle, Donal O'Hare, Danny Savage, Darragh O'hanlon, Paul Devlin, the Johnstones and Niall Madine. If Danny Hughes signs up then we will pretty much have our strongest panel ever under Jamesy.

But I remember being full of optimism last year too then Doyler pulled his hamstring, Dan broke his foot, Danny's "nearly there" saga ended without any game time. Benny never looked fit, McComiskey decided USA was better than Breffni, Garvey had a horrible work accident, Aiden Carr pulled something, and pretty much our season disintegrated in the space of a month!!!!

I just hope that this year we have better luck this year. IF we can keep this squad and all are fit then promotion looks highly realistic. And within a few years we could be challenging at the highest level. There is some tremendous talent there.

Courtney

I wish it was so rosey , lots of names that are available now .But looking through ones mentioned in last post they are not up to it .Let's go through them -
Carr ,been there before and older now  and not up to it before.
Doyle ,struggled for years with injuries , never been fit for years ,unlucky but taking up a spot on the panel that would be better used by a younger player .
Shay McArdle , not ready arrange for him to carry out a strength and conditioning programme and send back to club and monitor him there.
O'Hagan , again monitor his club form but not ready and watch his commitment.
Fitzpatrick , in 2010 seemed he had a future but needs a serious amount of training and conditioning ,a possibility.
Johnstons , neither up to intercounty level at this stage ,send back to club and monitor.
On the postive side
Danny Savage  seems to be learning his trade , fast great left foot will be interesting to see if he makes UUJ Sigerson starting line -up in new year but signs are good.
McGinn  Sigerson helping him back up to speed and signs are good and Poland's position could be under threat
Young Kilcoo players  Darragh O'Hanlon and Paul Devlin need to be played and brought through and Nial McEvoy a very athletic player also.
Garvey a great player.

NP 76

I would have to disagree with you on some of your points Courtney. Shay mc Ardle is as big as any of the players on that panel. I saw him this year with Burren and had to look at him twice as he has bulked up that much he obviously has been doing a programme. Darren o Hagan will walk into that defence he is a tenacious defender who will fight to the end. I would have both the Johnsons on board for them to get a bit of experience but I think Jerome will push into the starting team as he is one of the top forwards in the county. Daragh o Hanlon and Paul Devlin should also make an impact Devlin should be starting but I have heard he wont commit to the weights plan. Niall mc Avoy would be a good asset as he has an un believable engine. Glad to see Maginn and Fitzpatrick back gives us more options which isn't a bad thing. Another lad that I think would be an option is Conor Toner big strong lad who can also play ball

our_fella

Surprised nobody has mentioned Taz McPolin from Clonduff.. Seen him play v Queens in the Ryan cup and was very impressive, then again the Ryan cup final in Newry last week, and he was very close to MOTM

NP 76

He is a good lad our fella but didn't play much this last while. He had a run a few years ago and I thought he did well

SHEEDY

agree about toner from burren, always been impressed anytime I seen him play. the kilcoo lads should definitely be stepping up this year along with Darren o hagan. good to have maginn, garvey and fitzpatrick back in the panel, quality footballers. anybody else reckon ryan Kelly from the stone is worth a look at again? always racks up big scores at club level.
nil satis nisi optimum

Courtney

Looks like a year where Down needs to go for youth ,Division 2 might be the right environment for that Benny is no longer worth a start but could be a last 15 minute impact sub.
This should be a changing of the guard season and there are some good young prospects.
A new captain too will help also .Any suggestions , any of you know who are the good talkers in the changing room and natural leaders if given that role .?

whitegoodman

Shay McArdle is on work experience in Spain until September so that would rule him out of this year.  Think Conot Toner has been asked before and rejected the call.

I thought Peter Turley started to come good at CHB towards the end of last year so I'd like to see him stay there with a fit again Dan Gordon at FB.  That would provide a very strong hard spine to the defence.  The wings and corners should be filled in with men like Garvey, Rooney, O Hanlon, O Hagan or Boyle.

We could really do with finding some competition for Kings role in the team with the other midfield  spot going to a more atheletic player in Ambrose or McKernan.

Given their size and stature I am not sure Devlin and Jerome are good enough to replace players of similar ilk and size, namely Poland, Laverty and O Hare.  We could badly do with finding a couple of bigger forwards although Mallon might be able to play a role at wing half and Madine may player a bigger role this season.  Maybe Packie Downey is worth another look at.  Would agree Benny should mainly be used as an impact player.