Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

A very low-scoring game, could this be a sign for the rest of the year? Two games and Kilcoo narrowly beaten Burren, McCorry is a shrewd operator and I am sure he is happy enough the way things are going.
On another note, huge congratulations to Bright U17s  on winning the u17 division 4 title beating a fancied Burren B team during the week, a great result for the club,

upandwin

So much for the mighty Burren and their unbeaten run lol...was up at the game and it was intriguing but not much of a spectacle...cat and mouse stuff for 60mins with both teams super defensive. Burren will be happy enough with what they saw last night, I think they have more to come in from the U20 side than the Magpies do, Dabs will be glad that Oran Murdock wasn't available after the last display...

Burren carrying a few passengers last night, especially in their forward line. It will be between those two teams come championship time, their fitness is incredible and neither team backed down.

Glad to see Kilcoo get it over the line last night, Burren just didn't have the balls to win it-missed a few really easy scores and it looked like they really miss Donal for Free kicks.

Truth hurts

Quote from: upandwin on July 30, 2021, 09:34:12 AM
So much for the mighty Burren and their unbeaten run lol...was up at the game and it was intriguing but not much of a spectacle...cat and mouse stuff for 60mins with both teams super defensive. Burren will be happy enough with what they saw last night, I think they have more to come in from the U20 side than the Magpies do, Dabs will be glad that Oran Murdock wasn't available after the last display...

Burren carrying a few passengers last night, especially in their forward line. It will be between those two teams come championship time, their fitness is incredible and neither team backed down.

Glad to see Kilcoo get it over the line last night, Burren just didn't have the balls to win it-missed a few really easy scores and it looked like they really miss Donal for Free kicks.

Its early days but Kilcoo and Burren will always be the front runners with the squads they have. But I fancy the Point and Clonduff to have a good season.

Good to see Newry Shamrocks getting off to a good start, both them and RGU are sleeping giants of Down football. With the talent at their disposal The RGU should be getting out of the second tier.

ScarvaLegend

Quote from: Truth hurts on July 30, 2021, 09:52:51 AM
Good to see Newry Shamrocks getting off to a good start, both them and RGU are sleeping giants of Down football. With the talent at their disposal The RGU should be getting out of the second tier.

I know the old mantra is 'you can only beat what's in front of you' but wins over Banbridge and Tullylish should have been expected from Shamrocks. They won't have enough for the likes of Liatroim and Saval for example, so tougher games lie ahead.

I agree with RGU, they should be one of the hot favourites for a return to the top flight. Its tough to call who goes with them, and I'd say four or five teams would have quiet ambitions of claiming that second promotion spot.

Down in Div 4, St Pauls and Ardglass have to be the favourites but Bright and Kilclief can be the ones to throw a spanner in the works.

Truth hurts

Quote from: ScarvaLegend on July 30, 2021, 10:08:16 AM

I know the old mantra is 'you can only beat what's in front of you' but wins over Banbridge and Tullylish should have been expected from Shamrocks. They won't have enough for the likes of Liatroim and Saval for example, so tougher games lie ahead.

I agree with RGU, they should be one of the hot favourites for a return to the top flight. Its tough to call who goes with them, and I'd say four or five teams would have quiet ambitions of claiming that second promotion spot.

Down in Div 4, St Pauls and Ardglass have to be the favourites but Bright and Kilclief can be the ones to throw a spanner in the works.

Tonight's game in McNamee Park between St Pauls and Bright will be a tough battle and will put one side into a strong position to get into division 3 . St Pauls getting big numbers at training by all accounts.

Mourne Red

Quote from: Truth hurts on July 30, 2021, 10:35:19 AM

Tonight's game in McNamee Park between St Pauls and Bright will be a tough battle and will put one side into a strong position to get into division 3 . St Pauls getting big numbers at training by all accounts.

Bright/St.Paul's/Kilclief would be the favourites to go up from Division 4.. They're a cut above everyone else in the Division.. Glassdrumman, Dundrum, Drumaness ones you'd normally include in a promotion mix unfortunately don't have the players this year too put up a fight

Truth hurts

Quote from: Mourne Red on July 30, 2021, 10:46:03 AM

Bright/St.Paul's/Kilclief would be the favourites to go up from Division 4.. They're a cut above everyone else in the Division.. Glassdrumman, Dundrum, Drumaness ones you'd normally include in a promotion mix unfortunately don't have the players this year too put up a fight

Does Drumaness not have a good pick? Should they not always be competing at the junior level?

I have said it for years now and I think it's time that Dundrum and Ballykinlar amalgamate and reignite Gaelic games in the Tyrella parish. The new complex should see a new awakening and for an area that has given go many great players to the county, I believe it's time for heads to come together and to think of a way to see Gaelic games flourish.

I also believe an amalgamation between Ballymartin, Longstone and Glasgrumman could happen in the new future .

upandwin

Split Kilcoo in to North and South and let the rest of the county have a chance lads...

Mourne Red

Quote from: Truth hurts on July 30, 2021, 11:03:13 AM
Quote from: Mourne Red on July 30, 2021, 10:46:03 AM

Does Drumaness not have a good pick? Should they not always be competing at the junior level?

I have said it for years now and I think it's time that Dundrum and Ballykinlar amalgamate and reignite Gaelic games in the Tyrella parish. The new complex should see a new awakening and for an area that has given go many great players to the county, I believe it's time for heads to come together and to think of a way to see Gaelic games flourish.

I also believe an amalgamation between Ballymartin, Longstone and Glasgrumman could happen in the new future .

Usually yes, but soccer season starting soon so Ness players tend to go to it over GAA.. Also fair weather players I've always thought through the years, boys will only tog out if they've a chance of winning something.

Dundrum wise a proposal was brought forward by the then committee a few years ago about amalgamation with Kinlar and all football be moved over to the centre of excellence when built but was strongly opposed by the players. Don't know if Ballymartin or Stone would be keen on an amalgamation but Glassdrumman look to be struggling senior panel down until they get to u11s for numbers, could be bleak few years for them. Hopefully they can keep the ship afloat until they get numbers coming through

Truth hurts

Quote from: upandwin on July 30, 2021, 11:25:41 AM
Split Kilcoo in to North and South and let the rest of the county have a chance lads...

At the minute, yes but that won't last forever, you only have to look at their underage results to foresee that. They are still strong but not the force of Burren, Carryduff, Bredagh and the likes .

Senior players should not have the casting vote on amalgamations, it should be a collective thing. The future of the GAA in these areas is the most important aspect. Ballykinlar has no team at senior level but they have a sprinkling of players around the place, Dundrum is a yo-yo club and it seems a junior title every few years keeps them happy. The centre of excellence could be their home pitch, which should put it over the line. I hope that both clubs have the vision to see that.

snoopdog

What's the point in building a centre of excellence if a club is going to use it as their base?. Would club use not make it less accessible for county developments, and underage teams along with county senior teams. I'd say with 4 pitches they could all be in full use most evening and nights with the county alone. Do any clubs use Garvaghy in tyrone ?

RedHand88

Quote from: snoopdog on July 30, 2021, 04:11:18 PM
What's the point in building a centre of excellence if a club is going to use it as their base?. Would club use not make it less accessible for county developments, and underage teams along with county senior teams. I'd say with 4 pitches they could all be in full use most evening and nights with the county alone. Do any clubs use Garvaghy in tyrone ?
Not that I know of no. Wouldn't be fair. Schools get a look in I think, but it's nearly entirely county training (all levels).

Truth hurts

Quote from: snoopdog on July 30, 2021, 04:11:18 PM

I am not saying for all the time, maybe just for a senior home game for dundrum/Ballykinlar

ScarvaLegend

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 30, 2021, 04:14:44 PM
but it's nearly entirely county training (all levels).

The county's underage teams play their home games there too

Truth hurts

It wont be used all the time ffs