Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brick Tamlin

Do you always believe the team that's released.

Aristo 60

McCorry's have been largely accurate to date. No?

Mourne Rover

McKernan is an experienced player and will be well aware of the criteria covering deliberate actions leading to a black card. The problem is an instinctive reaction or a refereeing error could still result in a suspension, and there must be a fair chance that he will be held back on the bench until some stage in the second half.

fairplay

Quote from: Mourne Rover on April 24, 2015, 01:26:27 PM
McKernan is an experienced player and will be well aware of the criteria covering deliberate actions leading to a black card. The problem is an instinctive reaction or a refereeing error could still result in a suspension, and there must be a fair chance that he will be held back on the bench until some stage in the second half.
Premier Sports covering the matches as well as Tg4 as I'm overseas this weekend. McKernan playing
iis a big gamble.

wobbller

Wrap it up whatever you want here. He really should not start or even be risked.
I'd rather we'd be in with a chance of an Ulster Semi-final appearance than win
a meaningless Div 2 title.

Down Follower

Quote from: wobbller on April 25, 2015, 09:35:32 AM
Wrap it up whatever you want here. He really should not start or even be risked.
I'd rather we'd be in with a chance of an Ulster Semi-final appearance than win
a meaningless Div 2 title.
You are totally wrong there. It is far from a meaningless game. It is a league final in croke park. Every player will want to play in it and a lot of supporters will want to see it. Certainly does not sound like a meaningless game to me.

Mid Down Gael

Complete nonsense this debate wheather McKernan should play tomorrow or not. There is only one answer, he should play. Knowing kevin he will avoid another black, he's one of most intelligent players about and will know not to put himself at risk.
Do you think if we beat Derry and Kevin gets black then people will say don't play him in ulster semi final cause he may miss the final? Will they hell.
For anyone to say he shouldn't play in a national final is deluded. You never no what's round the corner in life and in football so you take things as they come.
Best of luck to the lads tomorrow, I think it's vital that cup comes up the road. Been too long since a national title has resided in the mournes.

umpire

Totally agreed with above posts from Down Follower and Mid Down Gael

wobbller

Down Follower

Not saying we wouldn't really want him for the Derry game but what will be will be. If he plays tomorrow he will put his whole heart into it as always.

SHEEDY

definitely not a meaningless match. winning some silverware would give this panel of players a major boost ahead of the summer. winning a cup of any sort is not to be sneezed at and hopefully jim and the boys can do it tomorrow.
nil satis nisi optimum

PAULD123

So the line-up is announced but what will the team really be. we will play two up front and one will be O'Hare, so will Laverty or Mooney drop back? Will McKernan play midfield with Devlin moving up to half-forwards? Will Maginn drop back as sweeper? My Guess is;

Kane
         Collins - Howard - Turley
O'Hagan - McCardle - Maginn - McGovern
               McKernan - Turley
         Mooney - Poland - Devlin
                  Lavery-O'Hare

One thing I am happy with is  that we have proper defenders in the half back line. But midfield still troubles me, too much pressure on Turley. I really think Mallon is required in there or make a solid commitment to develop Madine.

As for McKernan - This is not the most important match and he knows it. It is not worth getting  a black card for. Black cards need fairly deliberate fouls so he can choose not to get one. If the tackle is in question he will, hopefully, be told to let the man go and concede a point rather than get a black and suspension. He could pick up a yellow fairly handy but a black is unlikely unless he really chooses to trip or rugby tackle someone.

It is a lesser final but it is a final and it is in Croke Park. He will want to play and deserves to play.

wobbller

Pure dung. Ref was seriously wrong in
the sending off.

Brick Tamlin

Cue the sugarcoating and application of gloss.

PAULD123

Simple problem - midfield!!

We have failed to break even in every game (except maybe the Westmeath match). We are outfielded and out thought. At one point in the first half we lost six of our own kick outs in a row. Our defence actually did OK for 60 minutes when you consider how much ball was coming back at them from Roscommon midfield dominance. They had plenty of turnovers.

Our forwards do not break fast enough but go long periods without opportunities, once again, due to the midfield surrender.

I don't agree the referee was wrong about Brendan Mccardle. He committed two holding offences and was correctly yellow carded for each. what was wrong was that multiple players committed multiple offences and were not carded. I would not complain if Deegan had consistently given a yellow card to each player committing holding offences instead of bizarrely deciding only to apply the rules to Benny McCradle. Being this strict consistently would have seen at least one or two Roscommon players double booked by the last ten minutes as they committed a lot of holding around 45m after they scored the goal and wanted to protect the lead.