Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

east down gael

I take your point. I just think maybe a few boys on here are riled up that the start of the club season has been postponed and are venting towards the players. If they are out on the beer I wouldn't have a problem with it,they're a crowd of young fellas in London for the weekend. If it's ok by jim, who are we to judge.
    For what it's worth I'd be amazed if the boys in Portugal or New York weren't allowed a night on the beer. Sad state of affairs if you go to New York for a week and can't have a night out no?

Line Ball

Quote from: east down gael on April 11, 2015, 10:58:15 PM
I take your point. I just think maybe a few boys on here are riled up that the start of the club season has been postponed and are venting towards the players. If they are out on the beer I wouldn't have a problem with it,they're a crowd of young fellas in London for the weekend. If it's ok by jim, who are we to judge.
    For what it's worth I'd be amazed if the boys in Portugal or New York weren't allowed a night on the beer. Sad state of affairs if you go to New York for a week and can't have a night out no?

It was the players and management who requested that the first round games be postponed according to the email from the county board so they are both equally to blame.  They are not a crowd of young fellas in London for the weekend, they are the Down team on a training weekend preparing for the league final and championship campaign.  I would imagine that the Cavan and Monaghan lads are bring professional about their preparation but sadly Down arent.

east down gael

We'll have to agree to disagree there I'm afraid. They are a bunch of young lads, who give serious commitment for very little in return. If the management deem it okay for them to have a night out, I certainly couldn't begrudge them it. And what harm will it do them in all honesty, might even prove worthwhile.

SHEEDY

Quote from: east down gael on April 11, 2015, 11:17:23 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree there I'm afraid. They are a bunch of young lads, who give serious commitment for very little in return. If the management deem it okay for them to have a night out, I certainly couldn't begrudge them it. And what harm will it do them in all honesty, might even prove worthwhile.
+1. alot of boys on here getting worked up over nothing.
nil satis nisi optimum

Smurfy123

I'm all for lads having a drink etc but after the players coming out and saying they could not play 10 days before a league final and to then go on a 2 day booze up on a training camp sticks 2 fingers up to the clubs and more importantly the players who train just as hard.(and it has been a 2 day drink up).And yes the pictures have been doing the rounds as the players are plastering them on text messages to their club mates thinking its funny.Disgrace.I for one will not be renewing my Club Down membership after this season ends.Is this where the money goes?

islandchampions08

Line ball wind ur neck in! These boys put so much effort in that the "fans" don't see ! So what they Are having a beer? Do you pay them? Typical gaa supporter you want a professional Approach yet you'd be the same boy saying it's a community game no one should get paid ! Joke

Smurfy123

What about the club player the puts in so much effort that the fans don't see?Catch yourself on ok.Drink all they want but don't make a statement saying that they need all this time to prepare then go on a 2 days booze fuelled weekend and stick 2 fingers up to the 800+ club players

islandchampions08

Lads all 800 players would love to be on the down panel and don't say they wouldn't so to say they are all raging cause 30 elite players are away to London for a bonding session is madness ! It's April ask the question in October and see who cares about moving league back a week !

supersub

Quote from: SHEEDY on April 11, 2015, 11:22:46 PM

+1

'Professional' camp for amateur players..good man. I would say it was a training camp both as a reward and for something different than training in the Abbey every night, as well as a bonding exercise. I doubt it was a 'booze fueled' weekend - that would be a stag. They probably had a drink or two alright and so what? Hardly as if it's going to detract from anything they've done long term. Team bonding with a bit of training is all part of it, and has definitely been underestimated here. Fair play to them.

Dubh driocht

Quote from: supersub on April 12, 2015, 02:53:43 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on April 11, 2015, 11:22:46 PM

+1

'Professional' camp for amateur players..good man. I would say it was a training camp both as a reward and for something different than training in the Abbey every night, as well as a bonding exercise. I doubt it was a 'booze fueled' weekend - that would be a stag. They probably had a drink or two alright and so what? Hardly as if it's going to detract from anything they've done long term. Team bonding with a bit of training is all part of it, and has definitely been underestimated here. Fair play to them.
+1 aris. Good luck to them. I was at every league game and they put in a good shift. We will need everything we have plus more to survive in Division 1.

befair

Just more evidence that club players are second class; the GPA should rename itself the Gaelic County-only Players Association

No1

Some gurning on here. Promotion and a day out in Croker before the Championship. What's not to like? Down "fans" are fickle as f**k. Listening to some of the guff in the stands during the league campaign would make you wonder. Nothing new though, I remember back in the glory days Linden was yella, wee James was too greedy, Withnell was a soccer head, Breen, Deegan, Collins etc were from East Down and didn't have "it" in them. FFS dry your eyes and get behind the boys or stay at home and don't be annoying yourself or the rest of us. Nothing wrong with constructive criticism but some of the shite on here would sicken your hole.

Shamrocks Gaelp

Amid this absolutely farcial commentary on players private lives, I would like to point out that RGU Downpatrick have pulled out of the Minor All County division and allegedly want to play 13- aside in the east down minor division 1. Can they not field? This current downpatrick team beat us in the feile at U14 and ran us close in the championship 2 years ago in U16. Very surprised at there election to drop down a tier.

ApresMatch

I'm against club games being put back. Down players on the drink? Big deal!!! Drink bans are a joke and fair play to Jim McCorry for having a bit of sense and not being like Davy Fitz in Clare. As long as drink doesn't affect their training or commitment then no problem!

Brick Tamlin

Did anyone else see the lovely letter recently circulated about finances, club down etc?
Bottom line is the county needs more money and they see club down as the vehicle by which to do this.