Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Courtney

CPN deserved the win yesterday , Burren didn't show up , complacency and posssibly a few eyes were on Ulster and who they would get back for that campaign .But Burren with the history it has will progress on , 2013 was a funny year for Burren -championship was won with 1 minute to go and Kilcoo got a few flukey scores at the end and Kevin McKernan not being 100 percent . 2014 I wouldn't back against Burren .Kilcoo got a lucky title this year but with the talent coming through Burren are by the far the strongest squad in the county and with a big number on the county panel these lads will progress even more.

Brick Tamlin

Are ye wise in the head? Talent will get you so far. If you haven't the middle for it as Burren clearly hadn't this year then you can forget about championships.
I think its time a few of those Burren players took down the posters from the walls and put their scrapbooks away and look at how they contributed this year. Can I ask why Kevin McKernan wasn't 100%, what does that statement even mean. Was he hurt, carrying an injury of some sort?
Burren have had the strongest squad in Down for numerous seasons now and an extraordinarily high representatives on county panels yet it hasn't yielded the domestic trophies it 'should'. It would maybe do their club no harm if there weren't so many of them county panellists.
As for History, blow it out yer arse. History nothing, ye create your own history.

supersub

Quote from: Courtney on November 25, 2013, 12:19:21 PM
CPN deserved the win yesterday , Burren didn't show up , complacency and posssibly a few eyes were on Ulster and who they would get back for that campaign .But Burren with the history it has will progress on , 2013 was a funny year for Burren -championship was won with 1 minute to go and Kilcoo got a few flukey scores at the end and Kevin McKernan not being 100 percent . 2014 I wouldn't back against Burren .Kilcoo got a lucky title this year but with the talent coming through Burren are by the far the strongest squad in the county and with a big number on the county panel these lads will progress even more.

Catch a grip. It was far from lucky, Burren never did enough in the county final to pull away, it was always tight. They were beaten by Bryansford and Kilcoo in the championship this year, they (Burren) are hardly world beaters.

Suppose they were lucky to beat Cross too over two games complete with extra time on both occasions?

Also I see you posted this in another thread before the U20 final:
"Burren look like strong favourites given their championship pedigree,CPN just might be a year or two  too soon.Donnach McAleenan and Ryan Magee still young though great talents and a steady keeper with McCartan in the middle but I think the match up between Magee and Shay McArdle could be interesting but Burren to shade it.Gerard McGovern developing into a serious player ,this Burren team will not be beaten."

Doing an awful lot of trumpet blowing for a club that won very little this year.

The Diarrhoa Divil

Technically speaking it wasn't a total wipe out for Burren this year.
Miceal Magill's all conquering U14 side won the All Ireland feile and the Down championship too.

Courtney

Quote from: supersub on November 25, 2013, 04:38:37 PM
Quote from: Courtney on November 25, 2013, 12:19:21 PM

Catch a grip. It was far from lucky, Burren never did enough in the county final to pull away, it was always tight. They were beaten by Bryansford and Kilcoo in the championship this year, they (Burren) are hardly world beaters.

Suppose they were lucky to beat Cross too over two games complete with extra time on both occasions?

Also I see you posted this in another thread before the U20 final:
"Burren look like strong favourites given their championship pedigree,CPN just might be a year or two  too soon.Donnach McAleenan and Ryan Magee still young though great talents and a steady keeper with McCartan in the middle but I think the match up between Magee and Shay McArdle could be interesting but Burren to shade it.Gerard McGovern developing into a serious player ,this Burren team will not be beaten."

Doing an awful lot of trumpet blowing for a club that won very little this year.

Supersub I am not sure what club you are actually from but you most definitely are a soccer man so I'll take no lectures from you.

SHEEDY

kilcoo beat burren easily enough in the div1 league semi final tonight. 3-16 to 2-9. 2 goals for Jerome Johnson and 1 for paul devlin for kilcoo, donal O'Hare scored both burren goals. kilcoo play castlewellan next sunday in the final.
nil satis nisi optimum

Courtney

Match tonight waste of time ,Burren don't really do Leagues and the body language of the players said that.As much as I hate to compliment Kilcoo they moved the ball well and Jerome Johnston hit a fantastic goal.
Playing League Football at end of November really isn't The Buren Way -that was obvious tonight.
One team happy to play for Leagues against a team really only interested in Championships , waste of time play the League as a League top team wins it .
Kilcoo v Castlewellan will be a typical ill tempered nasty East Down game ,I hope The CCC videos it with at least 5 camera angles .

befair

Quote from: The Diarrhoa Divil on November 25, 2013, 05:07:24 PM
Technically speaking it wasn't a total wipe out for Burren this year.
Miceal Magill's all conquering U14 side won the All Ireland feile and the Down championship too.
They won the All-Ireland B grade feile final; still a decent achievement

thebar

Quote from: Courtney on November 27, 2013, 10:34:05 PM
Match tonight waste of time ,Burren don't really do Leagues and the body language of the players said that.As much as I hate to compliment Kilcoo they moved the ball well and Jerome Johnston hit a fantastic goal.
Playing League Football at end of November really isn't The Buren Way -that was obvious tonight.
One team happy to play for Leagues against a team really only interested in Championships , waste of time play the League as a League top team wins it .
Kilcoo v Castlewellan will be a typical ill tempered nasty East Down game ,I hope The CCC videos it with at least 5 camera angles .

In fairness Burren haven't really done much all year so expecting them to show a bit of guts and fight on a November night was asking alot. I'm not sure what the 'Burren way' is but all I know is that if players at that level who go out to play can't go out and play for the jersey disregarding if it's league/championship/challenge match etc. then there must be a serious attitude problem with the players/management in that club. Ofcourse I'm only basing that on your comments and perhaps Burren where simply beat by a better team on the night. You can only judge teams on silverware. Burren won nothing the year. Kilcoo the championship and have a shot at the league along with Castlewellan although I agree the top team in league should win it with no need for play offs. Hopefully both teams give it there all in the final.

Mid Down Gael

What a pile of pure dung you just came out with. Kilcoo played Burren of the park, end off.

befair

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on November 27, 2013, 11:20:39 PM
What a pile of pure dung you just came out with. Kilcoo played Burren of the park, end off.

Burren were trying hard enough, but Kilcoo were simply a far better team and should have won by far more. They aren't a big team, but their support play is superb and every player is comfortable on the ball.

outinfront

A team that plays for leagues and one that plays for championships?  Havent Kilcoo won the last two Down SFC Titles?  Confusing statement!

Brick Tamlin

This guy is definitely a WUM. Such speak.

charlieTully

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on November 28, 2013, 11:07:39 AM
This guy is definitely a WUM. Such speak.

downjim under a new name. same oul shite.

Courtney

The point being made here is Burren as a club don't view League success as a priority and championship is all that matters .Playing League in November really doesn't matter and championship in last 2 years has been missed but this year in reality was a very unlucky one stole by Kilcoo in last few minutes.
Tradition in Burren means championship loss = failure and league doesn't matter.Other clubs need League success to help create that tradition that is my point.