Down GAA Consultative Process - Developing the Next Generation

Started by BarryBreensBandage, June 01, 2013, 12:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarryBreensBandage

I attended the county board meeting on Thursday night and there was the roll-out of a consultative process in Down.
    From what I can gather, it is a forum to give everyone a chance to air their view on a way forward for Down football.
    The reason I am posting this is that I felt that views from the Gaels on this board would be informative and would give folk who can't make the meetings listed to have a say.
    If there are gaaboard members who would like to contribute on this board, I will pass on the link - don't know if it will be considered but there you go.

Again, in reply to a past quote from Leo, I would like to stress that I have no connection to the county board and was merely representing our club at the meeting - it's just that some of the views on this Down GAA thread hold a lot more weight, and make more sense than some of the stuff I hear and read. And so, I thought I would open it up to yis. Please see detail below:

DOWN GAA CONSULTATIVE PROCESS
    DEVELOPING THE NEXT GENERATION - A VISION FOR DOWN GAELIC FOOTBALL

Down GAA is currently conducting a consultative process in relation to Gaelic Football in Down and over the coming months we are holding a number of meetings and workshopsto engage the thoughts and feeling of the various stakeholders that make up the Down GAA family.
    We want to gather the views of anyone who has an interest in Down GAA, be it Administrators, Coaches, Parents, Teachers, GAA members or supporters.

With this in mind the following meetings have been arranged for people to voice their opinion:

11th June: Wellington Park Hotel Belfast
    7pm -8.15pm - Schools - Primary and Post Primary
    8.30pm - 10pm - GAA Family - Parents and Supporters

12th June: St. Patrick's Centre Downpatrick
    7pm - 8.15pm - Schools - Primary and Post Primary
    8.30pm - 10pm - GAA Family - Parents and Supporters

18th June: St, Patrick's Centre, Downpatrick
    7pm to 8.15pm - County Players (including ex county players)
    8.30pm - 10pm - Club Administrators and Coaches

2nd July: Canal Court Hotel Newry
    7pm - 8.15pm - County Players (including ex county players)
    8.30pm - 10pm - Club Administrators and Coaches

3rd July: Canal Court Hotel, Newry
    8.30 - 10pm - Club Administrators and Coaches

9th July: Burrendale Hotel, Newcastle:
    7pm - 8.15pm - Schools, Primary and Post Primary
    8.30pm - 10pm - GAA Family - Parents, Supporters

10th July - Burrendale Hotel, Newcastle
    8.30 - 10pm - Club Administrators and Coaches

More info on
www.downgaa.net
[/list]
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Eamonnca1

Fair play. Shame what's happened to Down. I used to enjoy the old Down/Armagh rivalry back in the day.

snoopdog

Cant help thinking that if this is for helping the future generation why is it being rushed with so many meetings over the space of a few weeks.

Surely one of the main things would be for ex and current county players to provide coaching for the school kids and the underages in all clubs.
While some do this only a handful of clubs have county players. Clubs like Aghaderg or Clann Na Banna how far back would they need to go to have a well known County footballer from their club coach the young players.
Get the kids hooked young enough by getting them regular coaching from county stars/heroes and they will stay with the association.

Brick Tamlin

Im not sure if this has been answered before but has anyone any further information on this process?
What were the conclusions and findings, was there a strategy or plan drawn up for coming years, and who are the personnel and their backgrounds involved with the development of our future senior footballers?
Was anything ever published by the county board or is there somewhere online to view more about this?

Aristo 60

I happened upon a copy of the plan idling on a coffee table in the canal court one afternoon. It ran to one half page of about 8 lines of text. The key conclusion and action point was:

"Wait till 2016 for Martin Clarke return"

;D