Barking Dogs

Started by Lecale2, September 10, 2012, 05:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

The neighbours bought a new pup and the wee bollocks barks like feck night and day when they're out.

It there anything I can do to shut him up?

spuds

Neighbours got a rescue dog 10 years ago and still barks anytime we go out the back, use back bathroom, open/close front door etc.
Terminate the little blighter before you go mad.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Hardy

First step is to let the neighbours know. They won't know he's barking when they're not there because  ... well they're not there. You could suggest that they get a bark collar - they work very well. But if they're like a large proportion of dog owners, they're likely to take umbrage at your approach, in which case you have a number of options.

1. Go the legal route. Formally complain. If you don't get satisfaction - escalate - Document instances of barking., report the nuisance to the authorities, send a solicitor's letter, etc. etc. Probably a huge pain in the arse all round.

2. Retaliate. Make noise when they're trying to sleep. Let them know this is how it works. Stressful and confrontational.

3. Do what has worked for me recently. I work from a home office. Next door's dog started to develop a distracting barking habit. Anything moved, she barked. So I befriended her. Went over to her a few times a day and talked to her. Spoke to her every time I came in and went out, etc. She now thinks I'm one of her family/pack. In fact, she probably thinks I'm the leader. When she can see I'm around (which I let her know by letting her see me in the mornings) she doesn't bark. If she does bark, not knowing I'm there, all I have to do is open the window and speak to her. Works great.

Cyril Farrell fan

Shoot him!
Only joking. Rat poison is better.

Orior

Quote from: Lecale2 on September 10, 2012, 05:04:23 PM
The neighbours bought a new pup and the wee bollocks barks like feck night and day when they're out.

Hire a nanny  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keeping_Mum

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Hardy on September 10, 2012, 05:21:53 PM
First step is to let the neighbours know. They won't know he's barking when they're not there because  ... well they're not there. You could suggest that they get a bark collar - they work very well. But if they're like a large proportion of dog owners, they're likely to take umbrage at your approach, in which case you have a number of options.

1. Go the legal route. Formally complain. If you don't get satisfaction - escalate - Document instances of barking., report the nuisance to the authorities, send a solicitor's letter, etc. etc. Probably a huge pain in the arse all round.

2. Retaliate. Make noise when they're trying to sleep. Let them know this is how it works. Stressful and confrontational.

3. Do what has worked for me recently. I work from a home office. Next door's dog started to develop a distracting barking habit. Anything moved, she barked. So I befriended her. Went over to her a few times a day and talked to her. Spoke to her every time I came in and went out, etc. She now thinks I'm one of her family/pack. In fact, she probably thinks I'm the leader. When she can see I'm around (which I let her know by letting her see me in the mornings) she doesn't bark. If she does bark, not knowing I'm there, all I have to do is open the window and speak to her. Works great.

I usually go with option 1.  I have no time for dogs and I'm not into making friends with them.  Depending on where you live there's probably laws against making that kind of noise all night. An owner is responsible for their dog.  If they aren't going to take their responsibilities seriously, force the issue.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 10, 2012, 07:54:38 PM

I usually go with option 1.  I have no time for dogs and I'm not into making friends with them.  Depending on where you live there's probably laws against making that kind of noise all night. An owner is responsible for their dog.  If they aren't going to take their responsibilities seriously, force the issue.

If I had a neighbour like you that goes the legal route as first choice I'd put dog shite in your letter box!

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 10, 2012, 08:45:16 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 10, 2012, 07:54:38 PM

If I had a neighbour like you that goes the legal route as first choice I'd put dog shite in your letter box!

In all fairness he did not suggest going down the legal route first, rather he suggested speaking to the neighbours as they wouldn't be aware that the pup was barking while they were out. He is right to also say that some dog owners may take umbrage at this approach but if you know them well and they're not dyed in the wool dog owners, then hopefully they will take heed and do something about it. Good luck
Careful now

mylestheslasher

My reply was addressed to Eamonn, it was hardy who gave the more reasoned approach.

Dougal Maguire

Fair enough. Proceed with the dog shite
Careful now

Eamonnca1

Can't do that here, mate. Only USPS postmen can open our mailboxes to put stuff in them.

Try again.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 11, 2012, 07:21:31 AM

Can't do that here, mate. Only USPS postmen can open our mailboxes to put stuff in them.

Try again.

How about I fill an envelope full of dog shite and post it to you then?

Hardy

:D

You couldn't have asked for a better lead-in, Myles.

Hashtag

Cost of a sirloin steak: £7.00
Cost of high strength poison: £10.00
Price of a good nights sleep...............your soul

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Lecale2 on September 10, 2012, 05:04:23 PM

If you live in the North, ring the local council.