Derry/Londonderry - The UK City of culture

Started by Lecale2, August 09, 2012, 10:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-19191535

Two men, who allegedly abused and insulted tourists of three different nationalities, have been remanded in custody at Londonderry Magistrates Court.

What a great place to go for your holidays.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Lecale2 on August 09, 2012, 10:00:42 PM

Two men, who allegedly abused and insulted tourists of three different nationalities, have been remanded in custody at Londonderry Magistrates Court.

Anyone surprised? A dunghole.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Why start a thread on such a minor story? Baffling. Love to know what fantastic tourist hot spots you two are from. Wasnt Derry commended very highly in the rough guides edition recently?
Great city,has its problems like all cities but generally good forward thinking people to be found there.

OakleafCounty

I walk the walls everyday at lunch time and only ever see tourists enjoying themselves and taking in the rich history of the town.

This week the apprentice boys are having a festival on the walls and it sounds like these two rough drunks just mouthed off. I thought anti Derry people would try to use it on forums. Well done.

nifan

Where would you send them too? FFS its hardy like this is a common occurance - its unusual enough to make the news.

magpie seanie

Must say any time I've been to Derry City I really like the place. The people are great.

real food, real people

Great stuff Lecale2. Although would you suggest the Ormeau road, Ravenhill Road, Short Strand area are a more cultured part of the world........

Rois

Quote from: real food, real people on August 10, 2012, 11:34:46 AM

Great stuff Lecale2. Although would you suggest the Ormeau road, Ravenhill Road, Short Strand area are a more cultured part of the world........

Yes, how easily we forget incidents like club members throwing bricks through minority church windows in the Holylands...he (or his locality) who is without sin etc.

I'm a fan of Derry city - great friendly place and this incident apart, a showcase for Irish hospitality.   Home to one of the nicest restaurants I've ever eaten in, Brown's on the Waterside. 

trasna man

have the misfortune to know one of the lads he'll probably cut out the article and keep it as a badge of honour just a clown

cornafean

Total non-story. There are drunken layabouts in every town every day, just waiting to mouth off (or worse) to anyone who doesn't know to steer clear. They never make the news.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Fear ón Srath Bán

So Lecale2, the sum total of your knowledge of Derry City is based on the actions of these two idiots?

You should get out and about more.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Evil Genius

Quote from: cornafean on August 10, 2012, 12:28:23 PM
Total non-story. There are drunken layabouts in every town every day, just waiting to mouth off (or worse) to anyone who doesn't know to steer clear. They never make the news.
Obviously Tourists are liable to run into "Dog Bites Man" difficulties, such as pickpocketing, drunks, rip-offs, ignorance, even hostility etc wherever they go.

Perhaps what made this incident "Man Bites Dog" (newsworthy) is that these particular tourists were drawn into what might be expected to be an entirely local problem (in this case, sectarianism).

Which for a city which is trying to attract Tourists via City of Culture etc, is especially depressing.

[Unless, of course, the Newsworthiness lies in the fact that it is Taigs  who are alleged to have indulged in Sectarianism. I mean, I always thought it was only Prods who did that sort of thing...  ::) ]
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

ziggysego

I lived in Derry for a few years in the late 90s. Found them to be the best of people. A few assholes yes, but no more than you's expect anywhere else.
Testing Accessibility

nifan

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 10, 2012, 01:03:06 PM
Obviously Tourists are liable to run into "Dog Bites Man" difficulties, such as pickpocketing, drunks, rip-offs, ignorance, even hostility etc wherever they go.

Perhaps what made this incident "Man Bites Dog" (newsworthy) is that these particular tourists were drawn into what might be expected to be an entirely local problem (in this case, sectarianism).

Tourists get sectarianism all over as well - the neanderthals who do this sort thing arent really aware that nobody really gives a shit if people say londonderry/derry in the rest of the world.
Weve seen plenty examples of this in the past - the tourist asking for a ticket to derry from belfast at europa for example