Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogercasement

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 22, 2021, 10:03:59 PM
Quote from: rogercasement on October 22, 2021, 09:55:24 PM

Listen if we could beat ld by a point and the winning score was kicked by a loyalist band player that we signed from moss side I wouldn't care as long as he was living in the parish  :)
Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on October 22, 2021, 09:49:32 PM
What is your point again? I'm dumb. I'll need this spelled out for me, in its entirety.

If a club  have money they can spend it as they choose. End of

They should only spend it within the rules though? Again your club can does what it wants, god knows I know only too we'll, but it doesn't make it right?

JimStynes

What way does it work with people from Croke park getting paid or people in admin roles? Is it only managers and players that are amateurs?

bannside

CLG has changed since that day in Thurles in 1884 when the idea that a national body of volunteers would organise sporting clubs in every parish to promote the ideals of Irish culture and sport and of course prepare their manhood in a state of fitness (and readiness).

That voluntary ethos served the association so well, for so long and became the absolute bedrock that built our games that are now enjoyed throughout the world.

The die was cast when it was decided to pay several tiers of officialdom. That's where payment was first introduced. County secretary's to begin with (no problem there, the association needed a network of people to make sure their was professionalism and consistency throughout) and then dozens of provincial and national positions, CEOs Marketing, Games Development Officers, etc etc. Another rung of employees was created.

Now with hundreds being paid within the association it didn't take long for GPA to say that their players body needed reimbursed too. The mileage expense lark was created.

Officials everywhere claimed they were chalking up the miles too, so they awarded themselves the optimum amount...think it's 85p a mile.

The dry rot had kicked in and because the officials were creaming off the top no one had an interest in pursuing a road block to clubs paying managers. Plus, how could it be policed if much of the actual payments are met by third party businessmen.

It's a quagmire. There are payments on certain levels being seen as acceptable, yet eyebrows are being raised at payment for outside coaching. Whilst this space is deliberately being vacated as a grey area, there really is no right or wrong answer. My argument is that if it's tolerated by GAA officialdom, or if they do not come out publicly and lambast the practice, then clubs will do what suits them best depending on their circumstances.

Given the choice of shiting or getting off the pot, CLG have chosen the latter, therefore the vacuum exists for misunderstanding of this type.

(Ps, I heard the figure one club are paying for their management team, not far from here = very scary).

bannside

It should be fairly acknowledged that the majority of officials working at county level do not claim mileage expenses.

Yes Duine, where will it end. Until CLG come out with a clear position on the matter the situation will continue to escalate into who has the biggest chequebook or fattest sponsor.

The club I talk of near here has dozens of wealthy millionaire members, many fanatical. They have almost everything they desire (within reason lol) except a senior championship. They will move heaven and earth to remove that statistic if they can, and atm are moving well in that regard.

It sets the bar higher even higher for the next club, especially if successful.

rogercasement

It's a fair walk from portglenone to Maghera.

EOC1923

Quote from: bannside on October 23, 2021, 09:32:39 AM
It should be fairly acknowledged that the majority of officials working at county level do not claim mileage expenses.

Yes Duine, where will it end. Until CLG come out with a clear position on the matter the situation will continue to escalate into who has the biggest chequebook or fattest sponsor.

The club I talk of near here has dozens of wealthy millionaire members, many fanatical. They have almost everything they desire (within reason lol) except a senior championship. They will move heaven and earth to remove that statistic if they can, and atm are moving well in that regard.

It sets the bar higher even higher for the next club, especially if successful.
Yes majority of officials are volunteers there for the right reason but I have been told the switch to online ticket purchasing as a result of covid has seen a massive increase on match day income for Antrim. No more cash at the gate and rightly so.

bannside

Roger is on the ball. If you look out your back window Roger you can see the Sperrin mountains behind it lol.

Calm Down

You'd have to fancy your passage to the final now RC only have to beat St Mary's in the semis! Wee buns to PG1

JimStynes

Good win for Aghagallon today. Was close enough for most of the game but I thought St. Brigid's gave up very easily in the second half. We just seemed to have an extra gear in us when it mattered. A semi final to look forward to now. Brilliant opportunity for the parish!

bannside

Indeed. Sad to see genuine legends of Antrim football slip away into mediocrity in front of our eyes. Best to slip off into retirement with dignity and allow the process to reboot. Sadly, we will never see their likes again, a club who genuinely expected to win provincial and national titles.

Cargin going to be around for a long time, their conveyor belt well and truly in place to face into the future with confidence. They set the standard for others to match as a club for not this year, but every year

Stillwater2

St Galls a shadow of their former selves. They could be in trouble once those 6 or 7 older boys step aside.

Makes you wonder why they haven't tried to bring through the youth over the past 2 years, especially with no relegation  in the league.

How we see tomorrow games going?

rogercasement

Calm down.
I can only assume you are taking the p...
1. You have shown total disrespect to an excellent Aghagallon side.
2. You obviously haven't seen us this year. Genuinely if we were in the semi finals of the intermediate championship this year, I don't think we would win it.

paddyjohn

Sad to see St Galls falling from grace but it happens every club. They've been the standard for years and fair play to them.

On the subject of paid managers, my own club pay outsiders in both hurling and football. We simply don't have the appetite from clubmen or women to take the reigns of the senior teams. They aren't paid a fortune but they get paid a few quid.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on October 22, 2021, 03:50:00 PM
Bookies will be trembling at this quad....
St Johns
£argin
LD after xtra time
Aghagallon - if they dont get anyone put off
I'm on a sweat here lads

BigBallWeeBall

Bannside. My geography is not great re the following

Is it St Endas