Official Monaghan GAA Thread

Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 02, 2007, 08:42:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

Well lads,
  Does anyone know where the last Monaghan thread went to? Have searched through the archives but can not locate it. Anyways, to slightly more pressing issues what about the team for Sunday v the Rossies? Is Dick around for this one does anyone know? I reckon it'll be a tough game, the Rossies have a few key players back from injury but if Monaghan are gonna aim for Div 2 next year they need to be winning this tie. Getting beaten but our neighbours at this stage last year was bad as I knew we'd rue the loss... Anyways, my new years resolution was to be more positive about it so I reckon we can do it Sunda!

Mid Mon

Heard Dick wasn't gonna be around.

I still fancy our chances though. Hopefully they've worked on big benny in the full forward position in training. He could work out as a very effictive target man and provide great supply to tommy, hanratty, meegen and gollogy.

thebandit

Some of the new lads have shown quite well in the McKenna Cup - Daly, Duffy etc

Are they realistic options for the league?

Owenmoresider

Owenmoresider

Monaghan won 2-11 to 1-10, both sides finished with 14, Finlay sent off for Mon.

Mid Mon

were the sendings off for 2 yellows or straight red?

thebandit

Ros not at the races
04 February 2007

Monaghan came, saw and conquered at Hyde Park as they earned a 2-11 to 1-10 NFL Division 2A victory over hosts Roscommon.

Monaghan were full value for their win even if they were left sweating it out at the death after a late goal from Roscommon substitute Seamus O'Neill threatened to unhinge their winning bid.

First half goals from Thomas Freeman and Ciaran Hanratty proved crucial to the outcome as it put the hosts under pressure and gave the Ulstermen the confidence to push on.

Freeman's goal in the 10th minute came after he latched onto a teasing long delivery from the impressive Paul Finlay while Hanratty was able to toe-poke the ball to the net after Dessie Mone's lob wasn't cleared.

In an incident packed game which saw a penalty saved and two players dismissed, Monaghan were sitting pretty at the half-time mark as they boasted a 2-6 to 0-4 lead.

Roscommon had several chances to get back into the match but while substitute Seamus O'Neill bagged 1-2, a penalty miss by Ger Heneghan minutes earlier helped let Monaghan off the hook.

ross matt

What was the Monaghan view of your team's performance and were ye at full strength?

GrandMasterFlash

Wasn't at game RM but Monaghan were not at full strength. Missing Gary McQuaid who usually plays CHB. Also missing Dick Clerkin who normally plays MF or in the half forward line. A few guys have voluntarily dropped from the panel for work reasons or whatever, these are James McElroy, Hugh McElroy and Ray Ronaghan, all play in the forwards.

From all accounts Monaghan played well but the fact that they always seem to lose concentration in the latter stages of game is worrying.. I'm happy with the win though as I know Roscommon are a good side on their day.

Farney men, is the Longford game moved to Saturday and if so is because of the Rugby? Thanks.

Mid Mon

Also missing Colm Flanagan and the two Mcmanus' from Doohamlet also opted out of the team this year.

Game switched to Saturday at 2:30. I'd like to say it because of the fact that we're playing in the McKenna semi final on Tuesday night.

GrandMasterFlash

That's right MidMon, nearly forgot about that!
  I read somewhere that Finlay is able to play again Longford. If so does that mean he'll be out for the Tyrone game? Heard also that Dick was comin home for this game which would help. Would like either or for the Tyrone game tho potentially not both, consderin it's a Tues night and Finlay may miss it. It'll be interesting also to see if Darren Hughes gets the nod on Sat too... Even though I'm from outside Clones I'd rather see games of this size played in Clontibret or Scotstown, preferrably Clontibret as the atmosphere gets lost in Clones when she's not full..

thebandit

MIDMON: As per e-mail from Co. PRO

Allianz National Football League. Division 2A. Round 2.
Monaghan v. Longford. Venue: St. Tiernachs Park, Clones.

Please note that the above fixture has been re-arranged for Saturday 10th February. Throw in 2.30pm.
I am informed that the game has been arranged so as to avoid a clash with the Ireland v. France Rugby game in Croke Park on Sunday 11th.

Clontibret is definately the spot for them games - best atmosphere

Cork game in Blayney was brutal last year in every respect - but I maintain we'd have fared better in Cloontibret

Mid Mon

Finaly wont be missing any games. He was sent off for two yellow cards resulting in no suspension.

thebandit

Is there any word of club fixtures yet?

GrandMasterFlash

Taken directly from Hoganstand message board:

"junior and intermediate leagues scheduled to begin on the 4th of march..havent heard anything on fixtures.."