TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WT4E

Quote from: gerrykeegan on November 12, 2019, 09:10:58 PM
Quote from: WT4E on November 12, 2019, 09:04:06 PM
Top Boy - whose seen it

Gotta get that food to make those peas innnit. Ye get me fam!

Im about 4 episodes into season 3 and really enjoying it!
Yes we think it's very good. Hard to understand. I assume no one watches it without the subtitles.

Didn't think of putting subtitles on but think a bit like the wire once u get into it you can understand the lingo and enjoy it.

It's got a great mix of the dark side of the drug game mixed with some heart wrenching emotion.

lurganblue

Quote from: lurganblue on November 13, 2019, 11:50:59 AM
Just started watching The Devil Next Door on Netflix.  I'm only at the beginning but it has the potential to be another cracking Netflix Docu-series!  The story of the trial of an accused Nazi concentration camp worker living in the US. "Ivan the Terrible"

Finished this over the weekend.  Amazing and horrifying stuff really.  They could have done more episodes on this and put a lot more of the detail in it I think.

Shocking how US immigration allowed former Nazi's to settle in their country without much of a problem... although I suppose this could be applied to a few countries.

bennydorano

Mr Robot - watched 1st series thought it was very good, 4 episodes into S2 and not feeling it all, worth persevering with?

screenexile

Quote from: bennydorano on November 18, 2019, 09:06:30 PM
Mr Robot - watched 1st series thought it was very good, 4 episodes into S2 and not feeling it all, worth persevering with?

It's a lot of effort not as good as S1 but still good.

nrico2006

Quote from: lurganblue on November 18, 2019, 09:36:51 AM
Just started watching The Devil Next Door on Netflix.  I'm only at the beginning but it has the potential to be another cracking Netflix Docu-series!  The story of the trial of an accused Nazi concentration camp worker living in the US. "Ivan the Terrible"

Finished this over the weekend.  Amazing and horrifying stuff really.  They could have done more episodes on this and put a lot more of the detail in it I think.

Shocking how US immigration allowed former Nazi's to settle in their country without much of a problem... although I suppose this could be applied to a few countries.

The show was rushed in some parts. I understand that tensions were high during the trials but it was crazy how it was implied that because of the terrible ordeal the surviving Jews went through that you had to take everything they said as gospel, even though two of the main three witnesses had zero credibility. In the photo ID card, was it confirmed that the photo was of John? The focus was obviously on whether it was a genuine nazi ID card, but was the photo confirmed as being of him. Were survivors, Trawniki or Nazi's shown his photo versus the other Ivan to determine who was the real culprit? Was more than reasonable doubt on him in my opinion.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Main Street

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 18, 2019, 09:58:09 PM

The show was rushed in some parts. I understand that tensions were high during the trials but it was crazy how it was implied that because of the terrible ordeal the surviving Jews went through that you had to take everything they said as gospel, even though two of the main three witnesses had zero credibility. In the photo ID card, was it confirmed that the photo was of John? The focus was obviously on whether it was a genuine nazi ID card, but was the photo confirmed as being of him. Were survivors, Trawniki or Nazi's shown his photo versus the other Ivan to determine who was the real culprit? Was more than reasonable doubt on him in my opinion.
Overall I thought the documentary was excellent, and at least the participants were still alive.
What was missing was the psychological explanation of how the survivers could be so 100% convinced that he was Ivan. It's a syndrome.
Another thing missing was an explanation that German law was changed in the 1990s  so that ordinary camp guards could be tried for war crimes and that's how the fake Ivan John could be deported for a 2nd time from the USA to face a court tribunal. I found that to be the ultimate in pettines from USA war crime investigation.
Essentially this change in law in Germany, which should have been done in 1945/6,  allowed for rank and file concentration camp guards to tried for war crimes  regardless that they were now in their 80s, In the immediate aftermath of post war Germany, thousands of real sadistic criminals were not only let off scot free but assimialted into the system while genuine wartime  anti nazis were treated as traitors and denied their civil rights.

Milltown Row2

Quicksand on Netflix, decent Swedish drama
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Just finished it today, so many different levels to this, first off he was a guard at one of these camps, those survivors wanted to believe it was him, and why go to such an elaborate way to 'fix' him up?

The Americans were happy to take on the German scientists and the money men from Germany.

He was guilty I'd say, maybe not Ivan the terrible but he needed to be at least made accountable for his actions so sending him back to Germany was right
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

Catch 22 based on the book of the same name is a most worthy dramatisation of the classic WW2 novel.

JohnDenver

Has anybody watched Dream/Killer on netflix yet? Only saw it mentioned today on twitter. Same lawyer (attorney) that is currently working on Steve Avery case, was involved in this one too.

On that note - looks like another documentary waiting to be made

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50557396

Makes you wonder how many other similar cases never get solved

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 25, 2019, 04:20:20 PM

Just finished it today, so many different levels to this, first off he was a guard at one of these camps, those survivors wanted to believe it was him, and why go to such an elaborate way to 'fix' him up?

The Americans were happy to take on the German scientists and the money men from Germany.

He was guilty I'd say, maybe not Ivan the terrible but he needed to be at least made accountable for his actions so sending him back to Germany was right

What I took from it was that the Soviets were apprehensive of the ties forming between Ukraine and Israel, due to the fact that so many Ukraninan Jews had settled in Israel after the war.
The whole thing was made up to unsettle this relationship, and when the USSR dissolved, the KGB released papers to show it was bs and the man was released.
He obviously was still heavily involved in genocide, hence the second trial, which he never made.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

cadhlancian

Quote from: JohnDenver on November 26, 2019, 06:05:26 PM
Has anybody watched Dream/Killer on netflix yet? Only saw it mentioned today on twitter. Same lawyer (attorney) that is currently working on Steve Avery case, was involved in this one too.

I watched it all the other night. Unfucking real that it took this long for him to be released. His father deserves immense credit , came across as a decent person who never quit . I suppose any father would presumably do the same in the same situation but he seemed a genuinely good person.
Worth watching , good show.

nrico2006

Quote from: cadhlancian on November 27, 2019, 12:58:45 AM
Quote from: JohnDenver on November 26, 2019, 06:05:26 PM

I watched it all the other night. Unfucking real that it took this long for him to be released. His father deserves immense credit , came across as a decent person who never quit . I suppose any father would presumably do the same in the same situation but he seemed a genuinely good person.
Worth watching , good show.

Watched it last night, brilliant documentary.  The father was unreal.  Shocking the way the appeal courts work in the US from watching this and Making A Murderer - you would probably still lose yout appeal even if you had footage of someone else doing the crime.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Harold Disgracey

Finally got to watch season 4 of Gomorra, still probably the best show in recent years and what a finale. As an aside I see Ciro has his own film coming out next month.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9048786/

Billys Boots

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on November 29, 2019, 12:28:34 AM
Finally got to watch season 4 of Gomorra, still probably the best show in recent years and what a finale. As an aside I see Ciro has his own film coming out next month.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9048786/

I'm a couple of seasons behind, but it's certainly great stuff. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...