TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Up to date on a few series now.

Pretty little liars - Well acted intriguing storyline and one the Missus will like too very good!

Billions - After an OK first series it's really started to improve very good at the minute!

Line of Duty - Just keeps delivering excellent show!

Designated Survivor - Acting is a bit dodgy but it's a decent storyline so I'll finish it out anyway.

Girlboss- Again one the Missus likes its pretty funny and a less deep version of Girls.

Tony Baloney

Screen you really don't need to use the missus as an excuse for you watching a woman's programme. What you watch whilst your nails are drying is your own business.

JimStynes

Quote from: JimStynes on May 02, 2017, 12:26:12 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 01, 2017, 11:10:42 PM
Just finished watching Department Q shown on BBC4 and should be available on the iPlayer.  It is a set of three feature length films.  It is a Danish production with subtitles, a crime drama.

It was excellent, a very good scandi noir, stands easily alongside The Killing and The Bridge.

Sounds like my sort of thing! Will give it a go here.

Finished this last night. Great show.

Up The Middle

Just finished 13 reasons why, really recommend it.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Taylor

Quote from: Up The Middle on May 08, 2017, 12:23:18 PM

Is it that good?

Watched the first episode and was forgettable at best

Up The Middle

Quote from: Taylor on May 08, 2017, 12:44:29 PM
Quote from: Up The Middle on May 08, 2017, 12:23:18 PM

Is it that good?

Watched the first episode and was forgettable at best

Watched 13 episodes in 3 nights. Have been looking for something new for a while as ive seen almost everything else.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

tyrone girl

Cannot recommend Wentworth highly enough. Just watched the first few episodes of Season 5 and it is class.

Ethan Tremblay

Watched 13 reasons why over the last 2 weekends after it was all over the news and Fbook and that, thought it was good show but some disturbing scenes in the last few episodes.  Is it marketed for teenagers/ young adults? 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Up The Middle

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on May 08, 2017, 03:01:30 PM
Watched 13 reasons why over the last 2 weekends after it was all over the news and Fbook and that, thought it was good show but some disturbing scenes in the last few episodes.  Is it marketed for teenagers/ young adults?

Was wondering that myself, was it glamorising suicide to an extent? Last episode had one scene in particular that was very hard to watch.

Ethan Tremblay

I wouldn't have said glamorise it, and surely enough the issues in the show need talked about, but one father of a real life suicide victim hit the nail on the head by saying it would plant a seed in the minds of young adults and can be interpreted as a solution to issues many young people face. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

bennydorano

No Tomorrow, Romantic Comedy drama. Easy viewing & fairly good.

Milltown Row2

Second series of Versailles... I always disliked period dramas but this has a lot going for it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

5 Sams

Latest episode of Better Call Saul is superb.
The Aristocrat Years

Main Street

I've finished 3 seasons of Bosch
They're  based on extracts from the early books, a conclusion is reached at the end of the 3rd season, a variation on the Concrete Blonde. I read that there's a 4th season in some stage of production.
The 2nd book (The Black Ice) was skipped entirely, when Harry went to Mexico, imo it was the weakest book of the whole series with a convoluted plot.
Harry's actor is spot on but the age difference is big, Harry was about 40 at the outset and this tv Harry is about mid 50s. There are many good scenes left out from the strongest story line in the early books, The Last Coyote to do with Harry's investigation into his mother's murder and concurrent sessions with the police dept shrink (in Chinatown :)), for instance the scenes when LAPD's  A.I.D. arrested and attempted interrogation about 98 Pound's murder.
The books are first class, nevertheless the tv series is a good companion to the books.

ziggy90

Little Boy Blue.
Harrowing.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered