TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muzz

You not think its light?

To be fair funny and which the fairer sex should enjoy - it definitely ticks the boxes.

5 Sams

Just watched "Good Job: Stories of the FDNY" Steve Buscemi was interviewing some of his old mates as he used to be a fireman in NYC. Fascinating esp. the 911 stuff. Brave men and a lot of 2nd and 3rd generation Irish.
The Aristocrat Years

JoG2

Looking for a new show, I've added the following into my favourites folder in Movie HD. Any one in particular I should go for? (boxsets I've enjoyed: Hell on Wheels, Wire, Dexter, Deadwood, BB, Boston Legal, Suits)

The Originals
The Newsroom
Sense 8
Castle
Hannibal
Marco Polo
The Pillars of the Earth

thanks

tbrick18

Quote from: JoG2 on August 05, 2015, 09:48:39 AM
Looking for a new show, I've added the following into my favourites folder in Movie HD. Any one in particular I should go for? (boxsets I've enjoyed: Hell on Wheels, Wire, Dexter, Deadwood, BB, Boston Legal, Suits)

The Originals
The Newsroom
Sense 8
Castle
Hannibal
Marco Polo
The Pillars of the Earth

thanks

I started watching Marco Polo....got bored by it and gave up. Not as good as it could have been I think.

gallsman

True Detective 2 consigned to history, thank God. Such a letdown after the first season.

Good, and funny, summary of plot up until start of Ep 8 here:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/08/03/true_detective_season_two_a_guide_to_the_plot_of_this_confusing_season.html

screenexile

Quote from: gallsman on August 11, 2015, 05:20:14 PM
True Detective 2 consigned to history, thank God. Such a letdown after the first season.

Good, and funny, summary of plot up until start of Ep 8 here:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/08/03/true_detective_season_two_a_guide_to_the_plot_of_this_confusing_season.html

It loved itself a bit much and the plot was nearly too complicated but there was something I liked about it. Vaughan and McAdams switching things up was refreshing and they're great actors, some of the scenes were epic as well. Id give it a 6.5/10... Lots of room for improvement but watchable.

bennydorano

Slightly disappointed with the last episode but overall I loved series 2, thought it much superior to the 1st.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: bennydorano on August 11, 2015, 10:52:42 PM
Slightly disappointed with the last episode but overall I loved series 2, thought it much superior to the 1st.
I think a lot of people have been unduly hard on it. I preferred the first but I think the second was a good un too. I would like to see Farrell and Vaughn making some decent films now.

Milltown Row2

Seen trailer for season 5 of Homeland... Looks great, coming out in the Autumn I think
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gallsman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 11, 2015, 11:23:00 PM
I think a lot of people have been unduly hard on it. I preferred the first but I think the second was a good un too. I would like to see Farrell and Vaughn making some decent films now.

I thought it was absolutely shite. The writing was all over the place, what "plot" existed was ridiculously over convoluted and the characters themselves were boring as hell.

Syferus

It has to be one of the bleakest endings to a TV series I've ever seen. That ending highlights to me just how much you want a conventional ending where the 'good' guys win or there's some sense of enlightenment. It was a very brave way to end a story in fairness.

reddgnhand

Just finished watching "The Wire" really enjoyed it although the dialect was hard to follow at times.

bennydorano

Quote from: Syferus on August 12, 2015, 12:19:37 AM

It has to be one of the bleakest endings to a TV series I've ever seen. That ending highlights to me just how much you want a conventional ending where the 'good' guys win or there's some sense of enlightenment. It was a very brave way to end a story in fairness.
I normally am very detached when watching shows like this were you know it's rarely gonna end well for the main protagonists, but I so wanted V.V to make it and the only main character who made it was the one who annoyed the shite out of me.

bennydorano

Off work this week & have the first 2 series of Banshee downloaded, i dunno what to make of it tbh. It's a bit rednecky for my taste i think, some A team traits and ridiculous fight scences - the one i watched last nite was like Peter & the Rooster outa family guy. Lots of random riding too.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: bennydorano on August 12, 2015, 11:01:45 AM
Off work this week & have the first 2 series of Banshee downloaded, i dunno what to make of it tbh. It's a bit rednecky for my taste i think, some A team traits and ridiculous fight scences - the one i watched last nite was like Peter & the Rooster outa family guy. Lots of random riding too.

you say this like its a bad thing  :)

I too thought True Detective 2 wasn't a patch on the first series. Hard to make them out at times, v hard to follow.  Wifey was askin me questions throughout last episode as she gave up on it, my response every fcukin time was "dunno" :-[