Murder of a GAA Chairman

Started by SouthOfThe Bann, April 22, 2024, 10:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on April 23, 2024, 12:11:22 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 23, 2024, 12:03:51 PMThis story is really like the one about the Stardust

Certainly a tragedy with an attempted coverup, but collusion in the North went much further than that.

British State forces actively provided Loyalists with the intel, support and equipment to carry these murders out and then did everything to prevent a proper investigation then and indeed ever since.

The details are different but the contempt for ordinary decent people is not. . The North has an extra layer of political violence of course  but the core dynamic is the same imo.

There was no RUC or MI5 involvement in the Kerry Babies story.

Norm-Peterson

I haven't watched the documentary yet but my mother was from Bellaghy. In the 1970s the Orangemen would go out of their way to parade through a Catholic housing estate even though they knew it was Catholic.

ranch

Quote from: Norm-Peterson on May 02, 2024, 04:21:47 PMI haven't watched the documentary yet but my mother was from Bellaghy. In the 1970s the Orangemen would go out of their way to parade through a Catholic housing estate even though they knew it was Catholic.

In the 1970s?
That still happens today.

Wildweasel74

marty34

A lot of towns in the 6 counties.

Flags and marches in up to 70 - 100% -'nationalist' towns and villages.

Strange people.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: marty34 on May 02, 2024, 11:48:25 PMA lot of towns in the 6 counties.

Flags and marches in up to 70 - 100% -'nationalist' towns and villages.

Strange people.

Dogs pissing around 'their' territories....

imtommygunn

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 02, 2024, 11:00:39 PMRasharkin jumps out at me!
Used to happen in Dunloy but seems to have been nipped in the bud. Ridiculous that this was happening.

johnnycool

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 02, 2024, 11:00:39 PMRasharkin jumps out at me!

Still happens in Kircubbin on the 12th morning I believe.

The local bands from Portavogie, Cloughy etc would get out of their buses and parade around one of the local estates, almost 90% nationalist and then get back on their busses to the main parade wherever.

There used to be a band "from" Portaferry do the same, but they've dwindled away to next to nothing and I don't think any of them are local to Portaferry at all now. All a bit of a sad spectacle at this point.

ardtole

I'm pretty sure Castlewellan has been used recently, definitely has in the past.

Brendan

Dungiven another strange one they have to get marching through

marty34

I think in a way, the OO marching in these towns and villages is people don't care any more. No major flashpoints now apart from the interfaces and urban areas. 

Nationalism has won. It's all about the demographics now and that has swung hugely in the past 5 years and in 10 years say, it'll be massive.

These parades are more to be pitied than laughed at. They know their place now in the small rual areas, especially west of the Bann. A tiddly wee band with a few old men in bowler hats marching behind.

A sad sight. 

markl121

Quote from: marty34 on May 03, 2024, 07:03:11 PMI think in a way, the OO marching in these towns and villages is people don't care any more. No major flashpoints now apart from the interfaces and urban areas. 

Nationalism has won. It's all about the demographics now and that has swung hugely in the past 5 years and in 10 years say, it'll be massive.

These parades are more to be pitied than laughed at. They know their place now in the small rual areas, especially west of the Bann. A tiddly wee band with a few old men in bowler hats marching behind.

A sad sight. 

This is exactly it. Where I'm from
Would have been 80% unionist when my da was growing up, but there were no flags, my da and his mates used to take them down. Now the town is about 70% nationalist and we have flags that go up in June and don't come down to Christmas. Thing is no one my generations cares. Bit of a laugh for ha as we go to our work in decent jobs with decent education.

Milltown Row2

I used to take my dad away for weekends every so often, headed to Derry one time, was a late Saturday afternoon and heading into town, at the corner of the street when pulling into town, the Lundy burning was happening in a street we passed, I said to the taxi man was it a bit controversial, he didn't give it a second and said, no one is bothered, let them at it and soon enough it'll disappear.

That's gotta happen, kids will eventually go "WTF" and it will die a death

Was refreshing (at the time) to hear.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Derryman forever

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 03, 2024, 11:16:42 PMI used to take my dad away for weekends every so often, headed to Derry one time, was a late Saturday afternoon and heading into town, at the corner of the street when pulling into town, the Lundy burning was happening in a street we passed, I said to the taxi man was it a bit controversial, he didn't give it a second and said, no one is bothered, let them at it and soon enough it'll disappear.

That's gotta happen, kids will eventually go "WTF" and it will die a death

Was refreshing (at the time) to hear.

If only we'd known you were in Derry. We'd a bought you a pint or two