Name your three favourite songs by... [Queen]

Started by AustinPowers, November 30, 2023, 06:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jell 0 Biafra

From the Bunker

Haunted was done originally by The Pogues with Cait O'Riordan doing co-vocals for the Sid And Nancy original soundtrack.

I always thought the re-recording was pointless, as it virtually mimicked the original, and I much rather Cait's vocals.

From the Bunker

Looking back at various Pogues, Popes and solo stuff from Shane the last week. He really was floating the last 35 years. There is a clip from Pinkpop 1995 and it's one of the saddest things you'd ever see, he is completely out of it and has to be helped off stage.

I had almost forgot the damage that drink and drugs had done to him. There was always a sadness when you seen him intermittently over the last couple of decades. Each viewing he became more ghostly.

Because of his genius and popularity he got the opportunity to hang in there past his sell by date and was often recycled, reinvented and abused.

Drink was the making and taking of Shane.

tonto1888

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 05, 2023, 12:51:23 AMLooking back at various Pogues, Popes and solo stuff from Shane the last week. He really was floating the last 35 years. There is a clip from Pinkpop 1995 and it's one of the saddest things you'd ever see, he is completely out of it and has to be helped off stage.

I had almost forgot the damage that drink and drugs had done to him. There was always a sadness when you seen him intermittently over the last couple of decades. Each viewing he became more ghostly.

Because of his genius and popularity he got the opportunity to hang in there past his sell by date and was often recycled, reinvented and abused.

Drink was the making and taking of Shane.

hard to argue with this. That said, I enjoyed the majority of the times I seen him live. Either with the pogues in their Christmas shows or with the popes. I do wish  had seen the pogues in their 80s hey day though.

AustinPowers

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 04, 2023, 10:10:00 PMHaunted was done originally by The Pogues with Cait O'Riordan doing co-vocals for the Sid And Nancy original soundtrack.

I always thought the re-recording was pointless, as it virtually mimicked the original, and I much rather Cait's vocals.

Haunted is a great  song , but I just  can't tolerate Sinead O' Connor's voice on it

I do like  Cait O'Riordan singing on 'I'm a man you don't meet everyday' though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FJt4y4fH938&pp=ygUpcG9ndWVzIGknbSBhIG1hbiB5b3UgZG9uJ3QgbWVldCBldmVyeWRheSA%3D

marty34

Did Shane leave The Pogues or did the group just split up?

From the Bunker

Quote from: marty34 on December 05, 2023, 06:14:49 PMDid Shane leave The Pogues or did the group just split up?

From what i remember the lads told him to go. His reply was some like '' What took ye so long?''.

They had to be getting pissed off of Shane not turning up for gigs or in a state that he was not able to perform.

When Shane was asked about the difference in being in The Pogues and The Popes. Shane said the Pogues was a democracy, the Popes is a dictatordhip.

Harold Disgracey

Although it's not a Shane MacGowan song, I really liked Tuesday Morning.

naka

shanes had some send off
a proper mass
jeez if every mass was like that i might go back

quit yo jibbajabba

Jaysus we love an oul funeral in Ireland. What a send off. Legend

Tony Baloney

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on December 08, 2023, 06:31:50 PMJaysus we love an oul funeral in Ireland. What a send off. Legend
Been watching clips on Twitter. Some show. A proper celebration of someone's life with a wee bit of anarchy thrown in. I'd say there was/is some session after.

AustinPowers

Had a Pogues night . Sat listening to  a lot of their stuff in memory of  Shane

The lyrics , man, just genius. Poetic, heartwarming , sad, patriotic, life-affirming, passionate,  melancholic... the lot. he has left an incredible legacy

Yeats is  dead 84 years.  I really like some of his  poems.  He'll  still be remembered  in another 84 years. So will Shane MacGowan.

Tubberman

Quote from: AustinPowers on December 05, 2023, 04:26:48 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on December 04, 2023, 10:10:00 PMHaunted was done originally by The Pogues with Cait O'Riordan doing co-vocals for the Sid And Nancy original soundtrack.

Haunted is a great  song , but I just  can't tolerate Sinead O' Connor's voice on it

I do like  Cait O'Riordan singing on 'I'm a man you don't meet everyday' though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FJt4y4fH938&pp=ygUpcG9ndWVzIGknbSBhIG1hbiB5b3UgZG9uJ3QgbWVldCBldmVyeWRheSA%3D

Other way round for me.
Lisa O'Neil did a great job on Fairytale of New York today
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Jell 0 Biafra

Don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but(after a few nights listening to The Pogues), I find myself singing snatches from the wonderful Lullaby of London.

Itchy

The old main drag
Broad Majestic Shannon

Still trying to figure out the 3rd