How much of your transactions are in cash?

Started by AustinPowers, October 23, 2023, 04:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What percentage of your transactions are in cash?

100% cash (don't use cards or apps)
90 - 99% cash
About 75% cash
About 50% cash / 50% card (or apps)
About 25% cash
1 - 10% cash
Don't use cash (all transactions are cards or apps)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Saffrongael on October 23, 2023, 09:20:10 PMChinese is about the height of it

Cause their machine is always broken  ;) like our local Indian takeout!

The chippy only recently got card reader recently

Strange food places were slower to convert lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Unsure how you would be scammed tapping for things like drinks/ food, instant text alert to your phone to let you know how much you were just charged so would make it more difficult to scam I would have thought.

I'm sure those businesses relying on people paying card or cash will have this built into their pricing structure and I would say for the convenience most people happy to accept this.

As has been said above, those business which are cash only or encouraging cash have their own reasons for doing so  ;)

LeoMc

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 23, 2023, 06:28:22 PMI'm just waiting on the conspiracy theories...

That is why I dipped into the thread, but it is an interesting enough topic.

When you factor in Direct debits for the likes of the mortgage the %of cash would be away down.

Armagh18

Quote from: LeoMc on October 24, 2023, 09:41:52 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 23, 2023, 06:28:22 PMI'm just waiting on the conspiracy theories...

When you factor in Direct debits for the likes of the mortgage the %of cash would be away down.
Yeah obviously the unavoidables like that and phone contracts and stuff. But everyone should be using cash in shops/restaurants/bars etc

Itchy

Recently, in the last 6 months I suppose, I have started to use Cash more. Its my own little protest I suppose against the banks who are basically trying to move people away from cash, making it difficult to lodge it and having no tellers in banks to talk to people even having "no cash" banks.

Taylor

Would use very little cash - in fact when going to pay the likes of the window cleaner or kids looking money for school lunch I find myself scraping around for it.

Where small business say they prefer cash I would try to make sure I pay in cash - unless the customer service is horrible, then I will pay by card deliberately

Armagh18

Quote from: Itchy on October 24, 2023, 10:22:23 AMRecently, in the last 6 months I suppose, I have started to use Cash more. Its my own little protest I suppose against the banks who are basically trying to move people away from cash, making it difficult to lodge it and having no tellers in banks to talk to people even having "no cash" banks.
Disgraceful that imo. Same as gaa venues turning away people with cash. 

trailer

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 24, 2023, 11:09:07 AM
Quote from: Itchy on October 24, 2023, 10:22:23 AMRecently, in the last 6 months I suppose, I have started to use Cash more. Its my own little protest I suppose against the banks who are basically trying to move people away from cash, making it difficult to lodge it and having no tellers in banks to talk to people even having "no cash" banks.

Ahhy but it is good practice, it removes risk around transferring the cash from venue to the bank and of course the odd sticky fingers.
My business is 100% card. Never get paid in cash and it's a pain paying the window cleaner and office cleaner in cash. I have to take cash out for things, like some of the kids activities.

Itchy

Quote from: trailer on October 24, 2023, 11:20:21 AM

Ahhy but it is good practice, it removes risk around transferring the cash from venue to the bank and of course the odd sticky fingers.
My business is 100% card. Never get paid in cash and it's a pain paying the window cleaner and office cleaner in cash. I have to take cash out for things, like some of the kids activities.

Is it not true that legally you are obliged to take cash payment if your customer wishes. Down south the NCT centres tried to go non cash a few months back and were forced by government to undo it and provide facility to take cash.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 24, 2023, 09:51:29 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on October 24, 2023, 09:41:52 AM

Yeah obviously the unavoidables like that and phone contracts and stuff. But everyone should be using cash in shops/restaurants/bars etc
Why?

Blowitupref

Cash as much as possible. Was Ulster bank customer and since they left I haven't bothered getting a new credit card.

Can't make sense why Gaa don't accept cash at the gate for club and county games. Have regularly seen old folks turned away at the gate but once you enter you can buy programs, tea and coffee with cash.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

trailer

Quote from: Itchy on October 24, 2023, 12:25:44 PM
Quote from: trailer on October 24, 2023, 11:20:21 AM

Is it not true that legally you are obliged to take cash payment if your customer wishes. Down south the NCT centres tried to go non cash a few months back and were forced by government to undo it and provide facility to take cash.

I'd take cash if anyone would give it to me but nobody ever does. I actually asked a guy who I thought might have a bit of cash lying around if you get me, to pay me in notes and he looked at me as if I was completely f**king mental. 

bennydorano

Cashless payments are no doubt convenient, but I like to have cash and I know some local small businesses in Armagh have a bit of promotion on to try to get people to pay in cash to avoid bank fees.

Trying to sell supermarket self check out as 'convenience' is one of the biggest f**king scams ever tho, I despise it with a passion, I don't mind a few items but the first time I'm asked to scan a full trolley it will be left there & my last visit to that store.

Milltown Row2

I take cash, cheques and card, mostly card due to the sums, farmers like the aul cash or cheque book. Get a lot of payments through BACS,

Prefer taking it via machine, then I'm not running around with a lot of cash to bank.

But it will be cashless soon enough, as soon as the banks stop charging for the use of cards and transactions, I'm not sure why they do if the system is up and running, it shouldn't cost the punters at this stage!

Benny, I always use the self scanny thingy in Tesco, no hanging about at the counter waiting on some twat counting out his pennies, while having a conversation about pure shite!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thebigfella

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 24, 2023, 01:20:46 PMI'm not sure why they do if the system is up and running, it shouldn't cost the punters at this stage!

Seriously? You have maintenance and op ex costs, integration with card providers, regulatory requirements, AML, constantly moving target in cyber security etc....

Payment systems are complex. Someone has to pay for it and was alway gonna get passed onto retailers and customers while deposits are low.