The Gym and Fitness Thread

Started by JimStynes, February 09, 2022, 08:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Don't forget all you oldies...more weights and less cardio as the experts say...Always did a fair mixture of both anyway. Would love to be able to throw the shorts on and go for a run but with the dodgy hips i'll give that a miss.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

tonto1888

Quote from: JimStynes on February 10, 2022, 10:01:54 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on February 10, 2022, 09:19:43 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on February 09, 2022, 08:27:23 PM
What's everyone's doing fitness wise? Any CrossFit fans?
I've a good lockdown stone to shift! I've been doing a lot on concept 2 machines lately and loving them. Aiming for a sub 7 min 2k row.

CrossFit fanatic here. Sub 7 would be good going

What gym you in? I was actually a member of the first CrossFit gym in Northern Ireland back in the day. Maybe around 2009? But I went to Oz for a year and half and then I've stopped and started since then. I'm now at Boundary CrossFit and it's a serious setup with some complete freaks at it .

I used to be able to do a sub 7 about 10 years ago and now the closest I've got is 7.11 the other day. It's going to happen though. I'm getting more efficient and fitter each month so hopefully I'll get it soon. It's such a brutal distance though. Staying injury free is the key!

What gym was that? I go to 8020. I'm possibly biased but I think it's the best in the country. I've heard good things about Boundary though. My mate goes  there

JimStynes

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 10, 2022, 10:34:20 PM
I've a good lockdown stone to shift! I've been doing a lot on concept 2 machines lately and loving them. Aiming for a sub 7 min 2k row.

What gym you in? I was actually a member of the first CrossFit gym in Northern Ireland back in the day. Maybe around 2009? But I went to Oz for a year and half and then I've stopped and started since then. I'm now at Boundary CrossFit and it's a serious setup with some complete freaks at it .

I used to be able to do a sub 7 about 10 years ago and now the closest I've got is 7.11 the other day. It's going to happen though. I'm getting more efficient and fitter each month so hopefully I'll get it soon. It's such a brutal distance though. Staying injury free is the key!

What gym was that? I go to 8020. I'm possibly biased but I think it's the best in the country. I've heard good things about Boundary though. My mate goes  there

It was called Elite 400 and it was run by 2 headers called Jonny and Helen. I think they've opened other CrossFit gyms since then. I've been to 8020 once before. Class gym but it's just a wee bit too far for me to go. Also, it's in Portadown lol

Wildweasel74

Done 43 gym sessions over 3 months, Nov - Jan, taking in a week of at Christmas, and a week with a injury, all strength,. Safety say am twice as strong compared to starting the gym last summer. Gonna trying get into a jogging routine, got Asthma, so blow out fairly quick running.

general_lee

CrossFit is a load of ballex lads.

Ethan Tremblay

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 10, 2022, 10:34:20 PM

Are they not a bit ludacris price wise for membership?
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

JimStynes

Quote from: general_lee on February 11, 2022, 11:11:25 AM

Some parts of it is but the good definitely outweighs the bad! And yes it is quite expensive. I've found a lot of gym prices have gotten very expensive though. People paying £150 a month for online programmes and £40 for a PT session.

I get bored doing the same thing in the gym so CrossFit does keep it interesting with all the different elements involved.

tonto1888

Tony Baloney

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 11, 2022, 02:36:27 PM

Good in depth analysis
Have never met you fellas but I have found Crossfitters to be amongst the biggest set of assholes I've ever met. Is 8020 "Coach Neil's" place? If the answer is yes then see above.

thebigfella

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 11, 2022, 02:41:31 PM

Good in depth analysis
Have never met you fellas but I have found Crossfitters to be amongst the biggest set of assholes I've ever met. Is 8020 "Coach Neil's" place? If the answer is yes then see above.

The competitive CrossFit stuff makes me think of your one in Derry girls doing the step aerobics

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on February 11, 2022, 12:50:15 PM

Some parts of it is but the good definitely outweighs the bad! And yes it is quite expensive. I've found a lot of gym prices have gotten very expensive though. People paying £150 a month for online programmes and £40 for a PT session.

I get bored doing the same thing in the gym so CrossFit does keep it interesting with all the different elements involved.

Id friends at the gym who went full on with crossfit, they did it themselves without the need for a PT or signing up for those programs, they even went to the States one year for the world finals. They would do the WOD and I'd have joined the odd time, it was tough but you can see how pushing yourself injuries would follow based on trying to get those scores!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tonto1888

Good in depth analysis

Like every group of people, including GAA, there are arseholes.
Neil Laverty owns 8020 if that's who you mean. Good lad. Very knowledgeable in everything health and fitness related

JimStynes

Good in depth analysis

Tbf I hate the whole cult thing about it. Some of the exercises are stupid and only work with the extremely fit professionals. But I do think a lot of it is brilliant and if people keep the weights realistic it's extremely good for fitness. I've noticed a lot of the Tyrone and armagh boys doing it now too. In my normal gym I see a lot of people with shit form and lifting heavy weight thst they shouldn't be so it's not just CrossFit that is 'dangerous'. A lot of people who hate CrossFit have never actually tried it for a while.
As for 8020, I don't know your man Neil but I've heard mixed reports about him! when I met him
he was more than nice to me. The gym though is unreal. It's extremely well kitted out!

general_lee

Good in depth analysis
I did CrossFit for a while, it's a con, cliquish (most gyms are tbf) the WODs were a pile of shite half the time and in general a waste of money.

tonto1888

Quote from: general_lee on February 11, 2022, 05:35:58 PM

Good in depth analysis
I did CrossFit for a while, it's a con, cliquish (most gyms are tbf) the WODs were a pile of shite half the time and in general a waste of money.

Funnily enough I've been doing it for a lot longer than a while. It isn't a con, the WODs I've done have, mostly been excellent - depends on who has programmed them - and I get value for money. I see where people are coming from with the clique thing tho. It can be. I've been at CF gyms where there certainly has been a large cliquish atmosphere. But then it's the same at most gyms, GAA clubs, martial arts clubs etc