The Gym and Fitness Thread

Started by JimStynes, February 09, 2022, 08:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: lurganblue on February 10, 2022, 11:44:56 AM
Quote from: toby47 on February 10, 2022, 10:19:02 AM
Motivation has been low also. I agree that working from home is not helping, finishing up on the laptop & straight into dinner time then after dinner the motivation is gone.

Anyone else working from home in a good routine? Do you go to gym/classes before work?

I was in a great routine during the decent enough weather of getting a lunch time cycle in while working from home. I'm feck going out in that cold though on the oul iron horse.
some decent cycling gear and you'll be fine. gloves, hat, fleeced bibs, winter jacket and thermal layer

brokencrossbar1

3 runs a week. Doing a half marathon with LaoisLad in a few weeks so need to get the miles on yen legs. Pace not that important but trying to get as close as possible to 2 hours for the run. Can keep that  pace up for 10 miles near enough so next few weeks gonna push a mile a week on it.  Left calf and left hamstring keep tightening so need to be careful. Had played South Antrim football last year but the legs just couldn't keep it up so focusing on the running.....though was quizzed last night about playing Masters again this year.....maybe?

If I get 30ks running a week I'm happy as I'm out walking a pile outside of that. Hate the gym but may try back swimming now

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: JimStynes on February 10, 2022, 11:23:45 AM
Quote from: toby47 on February 10, 2022, 10:19:02 AM
Motivation has been low also. I agree that working from home is not helping, finishing up on the laptop & straight into dinner time then after dinner the motivation is gone.

Anyone else working from home in a good routine? Do you go to gym/classes before work?

I'm an early morning man. Always have been from I was a child so I don't find it difficult getting up in the morning and going to the gym. One of my friends is the opposite and will go to the gym at 9pm at night without a bother. I couldn't think of anything worse. My routine is to get at the gym for 5.30/5.45 in the morning and home to walk the dog and then showered etc and onto work. This is obviously a lot harder for someone with a crowd of children to get out the door to school each morning. A few friends who have busy home lives with children signed up for a local boot camp style class. 12 weeks starting at 6.00am 3 days a week and lasts 45mins. They're home and back into the house for just after 7 and ready for all the mad morning routine. They love it though swear by it now. They've lost weight and have more energy throughout the day even though they're up earlier.

morning run/workout is your only man, far more energy through the day and sleep better at night

more work done too

Last Man

+1 Get your training done by 7.30 am, and bed by 10.00.

square_ball

You lads have me convinced. I'm going to give the early morning training a go. Similar to a few other posters by time I get in in the evenings, get the children sorted and whatever else it can be hard to get out to the gym or for a run. Getting brighter in the  mornings so that should help.

Keyser soze

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 10, 2022, 01:49:02 PM
3 runs a week. Doing a half marathon with LaoisLad in a few weeks so need to get the miles on yen legs. Pace not that important but trying to get as close as possible to 2 hours for the run. Can keep that  pace up for 10 miles near enough so next few weeks gonna push a mile a week on it.  Left calf and left hamstring keep tightening so need to be careful. Had played South Antrim football last year but the legs just couldn't keep it up so focusing on the running.....though was quizzed last night about playing Masters again this year.....maybe?

If I get 30ks running a week I'm happy as I'm out walking a pile outside of that. Hate the gym but may try back swimming now

That'll probably be a first for a half marathon with Laoislad sledging you the whole way for being a Nordie lol

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Keyser soze on February 10, 2022, 02:54:05 PM

That'll probably be a first for a half marathon with Laoislad sledging you the whole way for being a Nordie lol

I know!  I'll trip the fecker up and he'll know all about Nordies then  ;D

laoislad

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 10, 2022, 02:58:01 PM

You'll have to catch up to me first ;)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

johnnycool

Quote from: laoislad on February 10, 2022, 02:59:12 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 10, 2022, 02:58:01 PM

You'll have to catch up to me first ;)

You won't be hard to spot;  ;D

Milltown Row2

2 hours? With the length of your legs should be quicker.. 1.39 is your target  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

I'd do it in 1.39  on my bike, much easier than crunching ankles and other fading joints.
I'm 6 months into a gym membership and have managed for the first time ever to stay habituated with such a program. I suppose it helped that I had much work to do therefore I had aims and goals to reach as well as turning a deaf ear to the dissenting chorus of the voices inside my head
Mostly I use the lower body equipment there and end up with going for broke on the exercise bike for 30 minutes or some other instrument of torture such as the powermill climber, but not too difficult for a lad born and bred in the heart  of Drumlin country.

At home in the evening especially while watching tv sport I use those stretch resistance fibre bands for upper body stretches,
that has a threefold benefit, 
1.considerably lessens the stress when watching games close to the heart
2."I'm not watching football again, I'm doing my stretching exercises in the tv room"
3. the beneficial effect.

tonto1888

Quote from: JimStynes on February 09, 2022, 08:27:23 PM
What's everyone's doing fitness wise? Any CrossFit fans?
I've a good lockdown stone to shift! I've been doing a lot on concept 2 machines lately and loving them. Aiming for a sub 7 min 2k row.

CrossFit fanatic here. Sub 7 would be good going

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 10, 2022, 07:03:35 PM

2 hours? With the length of your legs should be quicker.. 1.39 is your target  ;)

I'm a fat ****

JimStynes

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 10, 2022, 09:19:43 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on February 09, 2022, 08:27:23 PM
What's everyone's doing fitness wise? Any CrossFit fans?
I've a good lockdown stone to shift! I've been doing a lot on concept 2 machines lately and loving them. Aiming for a sub 7 min 2k row.

CrossFit fanatic here. Sub 7 would be good going

What gym you in? I was actually a member of the first CrossFit gym in Northern Ireland back in the day. Maybe around 2009? But I went to Oz for a year and half and then I've stopped and started since then. I'm now at Boundary CrossFit and it's a serious setup with some complete freaks at it .

I used to be able to do a sub 7 about 10 years ago and now the closest I've got is 7.11 the other day. It's going to happen though. I'm getting more efficient and fitter each month so hopefully I'll get it soon. It's such a brutal distance though. Staying injury free is the key!

thebigfella

Depends on time of year as I will play as much golf as I can come longer evenings and better weather.

Few injuries and a recovery from surgery has slowed me down but around 4/5 gym sessions at the moment (mostly light resistance and stretching), 3/4 spin classes and depending on how the body is golf sat/sun. Might do a few cycles over lunch as well if the weather is good, otherwise I'll go for a walk or do some resistance band work. Some Yoga most days too and loads of putting/short game practice  ;D

Looking forward to getting back doing heavier gym work but lower weight and bands give me better results.