The Gym and Fitness Thread

Started by JimStynes, February 09, 2022, 08:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Man

Have tried to keep going to the gym as much as I can if anything to support the owner of the gym so he would survive financially, the wife was much better than I was in fairness. Most benefit has been to my mental health I believe.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Last Man on February 10, 2022, 09:04:37 AM
Have tried to keep going to the gym as much as I can if anything to support the owner of the gym so he would survive financially, the wife was much better than I was in fairness. Most benefit has been to my mental health I believe.

Where you going Last Man? I paid for the Family pass at the Valley but have been once lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

nrico2006

Three nights a week doing weights etc. and three mornings a week doing ten by three minute rounds on the punch bag.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JimStynes

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 10, 2022, 08:40:43 AM
I bought a mobility program online and have to say even though I'm only 3 weeks into it it's been a god send for me. It's these guys from Ireland called movement 101 I think. It isn't the cheapest(160 euros or so) but there's a 10 minute daily routine in it to start with and instantly it has made a big difference for me mobility wise. (It's progressive so it's a lot more than 160 euros for a 10 minute routine lol) I think I'd something not working right in my left hip and I couldn't run with achilles problems on the back of it. After 3 weeks of this I have done a few runs this week and for the first time in a very long time felt nothing out of the achilles at all.

Sounds like something I would benefit from but a nasty enough price! What does it consist of?

imtommygunn

It starts with joint mobility.

Neck rotation, shoulder rotation, spine movement (basically cat and dog), hip internal and external rotation and ankle rotation and up and down movement. Honestly about ten minutes of those a night in the first phase and then 4 exercises on top of this every other day. I found when I started it I'd no internal rotation in my left hip as I could barely do one of the exercises - when I realised this I've been working on it and it has helped no end.

Tbh I am not sure a lot of it's ground breaking as individual exercisesas you will have seen a lot of them but the focus on round the joints etc is interesting.

Last Man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 10, 2022, 09:05:52 AM
Quote from: Last Man on February 10, 2022, 09:04:37 AM

Where you going Last Man? I paid for the Family pass at the Valley but have been once lol
KB on the shore road MR, there's plenty of better gyms and value but Kenny is a good guy and in it for the love of it so I'd rather give him a turn than some big outfit.

redzone

https://youtu.be/5-2gUAOnrco

Theres a few videos here if you check thru them on mobility

toby47

Motivation has been low also. I agree that working from home is not helping, finishing up on the laptop & straight into dinner time then after dinner the motivation is gone.

Anyone else working from home in a good routine? Do you go to gym/classes before work?

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: toby47 on February 10, 2022, 10:19:02 AM
Motivation has been low also. I agree that working from home is not helping, finishing up on the laptop & straight into dinner time then after dinner the motivation is gone.

Anyone else working from home in a good routine? Do you go to gym/classes before work?

this x 100. Add in young kids and by the time I get some time to myself I'm a busted flush. Started trying to squeeze in walks at lunch before picking kids up which is good. A string of covid cases in the houses over a 3 week Stretch now has put paid to that ffs!

JimStynes

I'm an early morning man. Always have been from I was a child so I don't find it difficult getting up in the morning and going to the gym. One of my friends is the opposite and will go to the gym at 9pm at night without a bother. I couldn't think of anything worse. My routine is to get at the gym for 5.30/5.45 in the morning and home to walk the dog and then showered etc and onto work. This is obviously a lot harder for someone with a crowd of children to get out the door to school each morning. A few friends who have busy home lives with children signed up for a local boot camp style class. 12 weeks starting at 6.00am 3 days a week and lasts 45mins. They're home and back into the house for just after 7 and ready for all the mad morning routine. They love it though swear by it now. They've lost weight and have more energy throughout the day even though they're up earlier.

illdecide

I do the rowing regular in the gym...Set it to the highest resistance and timer for 10mins and basically try to get as many meters in ten mins as possible. You should aim for a min of 2500m in ten mins which isn't a bad work out. I regularly get 2600-2640m in ten mins but it's tough. Being 48 it's not easy, when i was in mid twenties the most i ever got was 2760m but that was a long time ago.

Do any of you remember the secret "Red Book" that was leaked to the Irish News from 2002. It was Armagh's training regime and rowing was a big part of it...Their programme was...

5 x 1m row (you must hit 300m in the minute) with a 30s breather in between each min row.

After you achieve this then you progress to...

10 x 30s on 30s off (and you must hit 150m in the 30s row)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Hoof Hearted

Any of yous ever try lying on the sofa?
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

illdecide

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on February 10, 2022, 11:33:44 AM
Any of yous ever try lying on the sofa?

Yes, like right now.

Off sick with Covid here and getting it tight enough TBH
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

lurganblue

I was in a great routine during the decent enough weather of getting a lunch time cycle in while working from home. I'm feck going out in that cold though on the oul iron horse.

imtommygunn

Routine is key. I run every 2 days (if injuries get better more frequently) and then once the child is in bed at night a 15 minute to half an hour or so exercise routine.

Weather is irrelevant. Keep the routine and never break it.