Rules question - 4 steps? Or "4" steps?

Started by Loonin, August 05, 2021, 02:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loonin

Relative newbie from across the pond.  Saw the sport late one night in the late 80's/early 90's when ESPN was relatively new, and was happy to discover a couple years ago that I can watch full matches on YouTube.

So, the way I understand it, you can carry the ball in hand for only 4 consecutive steps before playing it off the hurley back to yourself (or passing or striking it).
But I've rewound and watched more than a few instances where there doesn't seem to be strict enforcement of 4, and it become more like 5 or 6.

Is there something I'm missing?

Armagh18

It's supposed to be 4 steps but very few refs enforce it now. You'll rarely be blown for too long unless you're taking the absolute piss

APM

You are actually more likely to be blown for "too long" if you dither on the ball and don't move.  That's the irony of it.

johnnycool

Quote from: APM on August 05, 2021, 03:41:21 PM
You are actually more likely to be blown for "too long" if you dither on the ball and don't move.  That's the irony of it.

Looks worse standing although you are entitled to stand for the "time needed to take four steps".

;D

APM

It does look worse, but you can be damn sure you won't get the time it takes to take 7,8 or 9 steps, which players routinely get away with.

Loonin

Many thanks for the responses.  Sounds a bit like the enforcement of traveling in basketball.

didlyi

Yes its a grey area for sure and at best is hard to officiate. Trying to count the steps and at the same time watch when the ball is released is not an exact science. Another grey area is the hand pass which may look like a throw to the newcomer. Well a lot of the time, it is!