Connacht U20 and U17 championships 2024

Started by Cunny Funt, January 18, 2021, 11:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Both missed Galway pens were short run ups. I'd ban short run ups in the morning to be honest. Usually lads don't either get the accuracy or especially the power.

An Fhairche Abu

Deserved for Mayo, better team in general I think, left a lot of scores behind them in ET when Galway couldn't keep hold of the ball or create any real chances.
Sad to see that the toxic environment at Senior level has decended to the underage ranks, whatever about Senior it's not nice to hear it directed at a bunch of young lads.

Manning18

Dodgy refereeing aside, I didn't think Galway deserved it. Disappointing display and Mayo had greater impetus in extra time. Mayo can be very happy with their return around the middle. Probably fair for Mayo to win this penalty shootout after Galway winning last years

Would sicken your hole that the scumbags jeering and booing teenage free takers are going home happy, but it is what it is.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 13, 2021, 09:26:10 PM
Deserved for Mayo, better team in general I think, left a lot of scores behind them in ET when Galway couldn't keep hold of the ball or create any real chances.
Sad to see that the toxic environment at Senior level has decended to the underage ranks, whatever about Senior it's not nice to hear it directed at a bunch of young lads.

Think Mayo only got on top there after the crazy black card for the Galway sub. A full 10 minutes in extra time with only 14 is tough going. Mayo could really press up then on the kick out. Mayo got 2 black cards themselves but both in the dying seconds of extra time which didn't really affect them.

Cunny Funt

Great win for Mayo built on a strong defensive performance of holding Galway to 9 scores and the goal conceded was a penalty. If it wasn't for double figures on wides Mayo would have got a deserved win in extra time.

Tough way for the All-Ireland champions to bow out but they beat Mayo in a simliar manner last year.

MayoBuck

The first half was very low on quality, so many handling errors and poor shooting. It picked up a bit after that. Agreed there's no place for jeering frees, especially at underage.

Best players for Mayo were in defence and midfield unsurprisingly. The 2 knockmore backs were very good and jack Carney was excellent after half time.

joemamas

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 13, 2021, 09:26:10 PM

+1, embarrassing to hear Mayo folks at that, hopefully they were in the minority.

sans pessimism

Quote from: Manning18 on July 13, 2021, 09:28:04 PM
Dodgy refereeing aside, I didn't think Galway deserved it. Disappointing display and Mayo had greater impetus in extra time. Mayo can be very happy with their return around the middle. Probably fair for Mayo to win this penalty shootout after Galway winning last years

Would sicken your hole that the scumbags jeering and booing teenage free takers are going home happy, but it is what it is.
you have very selective hearing if you think it all came from the Mayo crowd.A bunch of gurriers in the top right corner whistled and booedevery free that young Dempsey took.It's a vile act to treat young lads like what we heard from elements in both camps.
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Manning18

Quote from: sans pessimism on July 13, 2021, 11:15:31 PM

you have very selective hearing if you think it all came from the Mayo crowd.A bunch of gurriers in the top right corner whistled and booedevery free that young Dempsey took.It's a vile act to treat young lads like what we heard from elements in both camps.

Grand pal, you're the only person in the entirety of online forums and social media that thought both sets were at it. Convenient. Dempsey took plenty of frees and nobody yet anywhere has suggested or heard booing, in comparison to Culhane who went from not only having misses ironically jeered in H1, to outright booing while taking a free in H2.

There barely sounded like there was a Galway fan at the game tbh, which is a problem of itself

An Fhairche Abu

Not at the game but funny that the commentary mentioned when Dempsey was standing over a free that the small crowd and no noise made it like a rugby player standing over a penalty kick- it only added to the pressure on Dempsey they reckoned. Again not there so couldn't comment for sure.

sans pessimism

Quote from: Manning18 on July 13, 2021, 11:20:13 PM
Quote from: sans pessimism on July 13, 2021, 11:15:31 PM

Grand pal, you're the only person in the entirety of online forums and social media that thought both sets were at it. Convenient. Dempsey took plenty of frees and nobody yet anywhere has suggested or heard booing, in comparison to Culhane who went from not only having misses ironically jeered in H1, to outright booing while taking a free in H2.

There barely sounded like there was a Galway fan at the game tbh, which is a problem of itself
So you think I'm making it up?-I was in the sparse side of the stand,and a bunch of yobs booef and whistled Dempsey's every attempt.I agree that Tomo was booed and jeered,and as I've said it has no place in sport.Also please less of the condescending 'pal'.I'm not in this for a row-just sayin'what I heard.
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Maroon Manc

Galway were very disappointing, thought the odds were crazy looking at the players involved and taking last years result in consideration. Galway struggled at midfield, Mayo picking up so many more of the breaks; McLaughlin didn't look that fit when he came on but did have an impact. I was very surprised not to see Cian Hernon moved into midfield given his display against Kerry last year when he was superb.

Mayo were slightly the better team and looked like a stronger team too, Galway certainly had a lot more smaller players.

rosnarun

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 14, 2021, 09:15:47 AM
Galway were very disappointing, thought the odds were crazy looking at the players involved and taking last years result in consideration. Galway struggled at midfield, Mayo picking up so many more of the breaks; McLaughlin didn't look that fit when he came on but did have an impact. I was very surprised not to see Cian Hernon moved into midfield given his display against Kerry last year when he was superb.

Mayo were slightly the better team and looked like a stronger team too, Galway certainly had a lot more smaller players.
I thought it was just me but the mayo team seemed to be huge (though lanky ) Dunleavy Carney Dempsey and Irwin looked exceptionally tall until Gallgaher game in for Galway . a right monster for u20s
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 14, 2021, 09:15:47 AM

Galway were below par but it's underage so cannot rely on consistent performances, Galway had a load of players returning in 2014 from the previous years champions as well and were dumped out by Leitrim of all counties, Mayo were the better team to me yesterday evening and deserved to go through albeit via the shootout route.

Galway were destroyed on breaking ball as you've said, but equally didn't make great use of the possession they had, Culhane didn't have one of his best games, there were a number of frees that on another day he'd knock over without an issue, it happens. McLaughlin not being fully fit was a big loss when Sweeney and Kelly were ineligible.
The ref had some inconsistent calls at crucial moments, the free for the Mayo equaliser in ET was a joke when you see some of the other stuff that was left go at the other end in ET, if you are giving those marginal calls to the defence, you can't change tack and give a tapover point for nothing.
Thought Gill should have got a peno in the first half when he was pushed in the back while going for a shot which was saved, if he'd flopped down the ref would probably had to give it but really once it went to ET it was only Mayo's wayward shooting that kept Galway in it, no score bar the penalty a minute in. Hernon had the best chance down the stretch but put it wide, wouldn't fault him too much though as he was one of Galway's best.

Manning18

As well as the phantom equalizing free, how can you give a penalty for a drag down stopping a guy getting to a goal chance and then not black card the perpetrator? That was incredible. two mins later he black cards a Galway player for something much less.

Again il say though, it would have led to an undeserved Galway victory. Mayo were the better side