Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

sammymaguire

Devenish beat Skea in the league Final
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

wanderer

Fermanagh football manager John O'Neill has dismissed reports that there is player unrest in his county squad.

There has been speculation that a number of senior players in the current panel had told O'Neill that they no longer wished to be part of his squad.

But O'Neill told BBC Sport on Wednesday that the claims of player unrest in the Erne County were "untrue".

"We had 27 players at training this week. The absentees all had entirely legitimate reasons," said O'Neill.

"We have two fellows who have long-term injuries.

"James Sherry has a long-term injury after getting injured against Roscommon and Shane Lyons is undergoing a finger operation.

"A couple of weeks ago, two other senior players, who have been on the Fermanagh panel for eight or 10 years, decided to call it a day. They felt they couldn't give the commitment at this time and we accepted it.

"These reports have been blown out of all proportion."

Fermanagh have made a poor start to their Division 4 campaign having earned only three points from four games.

O'Neill was only appointed to the Fermanagh role last September.

The Lisnaskea Emmetts clubman took over from Malachy O'Rourke, who quit the job in July.

Reports suggested that the players told O'Neill that they want to play for Fermanagh in 2011 "but under different management".

Sunday's 1-12 to 1-9 defeat by Connacht champions Roscommon means Fermanagh look certain to be playing Division 4 football again next season.

The Erne County are seventh in the Division 4 table - already five points between section toppers Longford, although Fermanagh have played a game less.

Emmett

Quote from: wanderer on March 16, 2011, 10:28:57 PM
Reports suggested that the players told O'Neill that they want to play for Fermanagh in 2011 "but under different management".

Unfortunately I believe this to be true. With the level of commitment required to play county football players need to be able to like/respect the management. It is plain to see that this is not the case with Fermanagh right now. We have the makings of a very competitive team with all the missing players onboard and committed. The number of retirements this year is no coincidence. John O'Neill should just stand down now for the good of Fermanagh football! Not only do players not want to play for him but he is also out of his depth. No other county would accept this and no other county boards would expect players to represent their county under such circumstances. Something has to change and soon!

118cmal

All does not appear to be well in the Fermanagh camp.

Any word of who the lads are that have pulled out of the panel?  I heard Peter Sherry was one.  Fermanagh cant afford to be losing players of his calibre when the pick is already so small.

FermGael

Indeed.
I have heard that another 4 or 5 have pulled out.
I suppose that the team on Sunday will tell the story.
Things are going to get worse before they get better
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

118cmal

Quote from: FermGael on March 19, 2011, 10:52:01 AM
Indeed.
I have heard that another 4 or 5 have pulled out.
I suppose that the team on Sunday will tell the story.
Things are going to get worse before they get better

Who have you heard FG?

FermGael

James Sherry
Peter Sherry
Tommy McElroy
Shane Lyons
Niall Bogue
Fergal Murphy

All have walked. 
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Fermanaghandsam

Add Ciaran Fla to that list too!

There can't be many left, certainly not the 27 he claimed there was at training on Tuesday night.

118cmal

Quote from: FermGael on March 19, 2011, 04:11:37 PM
James Sherry
Peter Sherry
Tommy McElroy
Shane Lyons
Niall Bogue
Fergal Murphy

All have walked. 

It's becoming a farce.  Normally if players leave a panel then I wouldn't go hankering after them, but there must be something seriously wrong in the camp.  Surely the management has to change?  Given all the players that have left, what would the current starting 15 be?

Does anyone know what the players' grievances are with the management?

cogito

Honestly, what has O'Neill done to annoy so many? Seen alot of smoke so far but no fire!

unitedireland

Need a new manager again. Peter will you take it

wanderer

Just noticed that the Fermanagh Thread has started to drop down the main board, to be replaced by all sorts. Now that its out of sight, out of mind for the rest of the country I was wondering what the diehards can see happening, what will happen and what they hope?
Can O'Neill drag a couple of younger players through a few rounds of the qualifers? (maybesneak a win againest a complacent Derry). County board have laid there cards on the table, and I can't see them going back no matter what damage it does to football in the county. To lose the likes of Sherry & McElroy in what should be there peak years is bitterly disappointing in my view. What young players in the 18-21 range have the potential to push on?

unitedireland

Will the county board ever take hurling seriously. I was chatting a man from cork this week about it and he was amazed the county board are not helping to set up new clubs. He also thought it was brilliant and great commitment that the club teams travel ulster for games.
Is burns still the development officers and is he doing much???

FermPundit

SFL Division One

Lisnaskea  1-9 1-13 Belcoo 
Newtownbutler  2-9 0-11 Derrygonnelly
St Josephs  2-9 1-9 Tempo 
Enniskillen  0-11 0-7 St Patricks 
Devenish  0-12 2-9 Roslea 

SFL Division Two

Erne Gaels  2-11 0-9 Teemore 
Brookeboro  0-9 1-7 Kinawley 
Coa  0-17 1-14 Irvinestown 
Derrylin  1-8 0-12 Maguiresbridge 
Belnaleck  1-5 0-8 Aughadrumasee 

We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

sammymaguire

I hear 7 sent off in Ederney today!!  :o  ???
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!