Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

FermGael

Honestly have no clue.
Lucky dip may be the way to go
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

FermGael

taken from http://www.impartialreporter.com/sport/gaa/articles/2009/08/06/389470-big-brew-opts-out-after-nearly-two-decades-at-top/
QuoteBig Brew opts out after nearly two decades at top

As Fermanagh builds up to the Club Championship this weekend, one man's absence will stand out for Gaels across the county.

It has been 19 years since Paul Brewster pulled on an Enniskillen Gaels senior jersey for the first time. Since that day the colossal midfielder has competed in 17 senior championships, only missing out on two occasions due to injury and a summer spent in America.

In an era where the amateur status of Gaelic football may face its toughest challenge yet, Brewster embodies the traditional GAA clubman; strong, committed and ever-present, no matter what the hurdle. Having collected eight Championship winners medals as well as leading Enniskillen to two Ulster club finals, Brewster can surely be regarded as one of the most decorated club players the county has ever seen.

Brewster did not pin his decision to hang up his boots on a lack of desire, but felt there were a number of factors.

"I have a young family now and don't have as much spare time as I used to. To be honest I loved the training but haven't been able to do it in recent years as much as I would like to. You find your fitness drops and then you become a bit of a passenger."

Being the self-effacing man who has won respect from his footballing peers, Brewster also joked: "I'm getting on a bit as well if you haven't notice. It isn't for lack of trying but there is no doubt that it's a young man's game."

Having acted as the inspirational catalyst for the Gaels' last Championship win in 2006, some would suggest that Brewster still has the ability to govern football pitches around Fermanagh, however Brewster himself humbly suggests that it is time for others to carry the flag. "The way I look at it now is that with a fit squad I wouldn't get near the team anyway. There are enough good players to carry the boys through and looking at some of the young lads, I couldn't even lace their boots."

Whether one will agree with this self-assessment is doubtful, but Brewster feels happy with his contribution over the years and hopes this will help resist any pangs of desire to take to the field come Friday.

"I feel like I have given my all for the club since I started playing and don't really think I could do much more. On Friday I will happily take my place in the stands alongside the rest of the fans and cheer the boys on," he said.

Looking back on his illustrious career for Enniskillen Gaels and Fermanagh, Brewster highlighted one particular match as his career highlight. "Beating Crossmaglen in Brewster Park back in 2001 was definitely the best match I have ever played in," enthused the barrel-chested midfielder, who also pin pointed the Gaels' 'six in a row' side as the best he has ever played in. "That squad going full throttle was unbelievable and I have never played in a team like it. Those five or six years were great and I wouldn't give them back for anything. We didn't win an Ulster Championship in the end but that doesn't take away from what we achieved."

Whether the sparkle in his boots has finally faded or not, the absence of Brewster's booming voice and powerful leadership will be sorely missed by Enniskillen Gaels and fans across the county alike. With brother Tom still flying the Brewster flag, Paul revealed he has a plan to continue his legacy. "A young Brewster was born just before Christmas and despite not living in Enniskillen, we hope to get him into a Gaels jersey some day."

If 'young Brew' does make it to Brewster Park, he will have one of the best teachers around at his side.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

sammymaguire

Friday 7th August In Emmett Park, Lisnaskea

Kevin Courtney Car Sales IFC

Kinawley v Aughadrumsee at 6.30pm

Quinn Insurance SFC

Belcoo v Enniskillen at 8.00pm

Saturday 8th August In Tempo

Kevin Courtney Car Sales IFC

Irvinestown v St.Joseph's at 6.30pm

Quinn Insurance SFC

Lisnaskea v Brookeborough at 8.00pm

Sunday 9th August In Brewster Park Enniskillen

Quinn Insurance SFC

Roslea v Teemore at 3.00pm

St.Patrick's v Erne Gaels at 4.30pm
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Kinawley beat Aghadrumsee 1.10 to 1.6

Enniskillen beat Belcoo by a point

FermPundit

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on August 08, 2009, 09:57:17 PM
Lisnaskea beat Brookeborough tonight by a point in the championship. the referee tried his best to make a real cnut of the game  :-\

Agreed. The standard last night and tonight was extremely poor.

Ederney beat Irvinestown in the first game tonight.

St. Joseph's 1-15 0-7 Irvinestown
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

KIDDO 4

What about the 2 Lisnaskea players that were dismissed.

FermPundit

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on August 08, 2009, 10:14:11 PM
Quote from: FermPundit on August 08, 2009, 10:09:03 PM
Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on August 08, 2009, 09:57:17 PM
Lisnaskea beat Brookeborough tonight by a point in the championship. the referee tried his best to make a real cnut of the game  :-\

Agreed. The standard last night and tonight was extremely poor.

Ederney beat Irvinestown in the first game tonight.

St. Joseph's 1-15 0-7 Irvinestown

Are you saying Ferm that the standard of referring has been poor or the games themselves?  tonights game was no great spectle but it was a tight championship game, Skea where favourites to walk this game but Brookeborough probably feek they should have at least got a draw, had the chances at the very end.

Both. The standard of refereeing was poor, but it has been poor for a while. However, it's probably no better or no worse than any other county. The standard of play in the Fermanagh leagues and championship so far this year has been awful. It's no wonder why the Fermanagh senior team is struggling so badly at the minute.

FermPundit

SFC result

Roslea 2-10 0-8 Teemore

FermPundit

SFC result

St. Patrick's 1-10 1-8 Erne Gaels

Quote from: FermPundit on August 09, 2009, 04:48:55 PM
SFC result

Roslea 2-10 0-8 Teemore

Apparently Seamus Quigley hit 2-8 of this for Roslea.  Hugh Brady and Barry Owens couldn't handle him.

We really need Quigley out in the right frame of mind for the county next year, could be a serious addition.

FermPundit

Quote from: 689908 on August 10, 2009, 03:23:55 PM
Quote from: FermPundit on August 09, 2009, 04:48:55 PM
SFC result

Roslea 2-10 0-8 Teemore

Apparently Seamus Quigley hit 2-8 of this for Roslea.  Hugh Brady and Barry Owens couldn't handle him.

We really need Quigley out in the right frame of mind for the county next year, could be a serious addition.

He's the most talented forward currently playing Fermanagh club football. There is no doubt about that. In the qualifer against Wicklow a few weeks ago he was superb before a shoulder injury ended his game prematurely.

Were you at any of the games pundit?

I was at the Kinawley/Aghadrumsee and Enniskillen/Belcoo double-header.  I fancied Enniskillen for the championship before that game but I can't see it now.  Lucky to beat Belcoo who also didn't play to nearly their full potential.

The Kinawley/Aghadrumsee game was dire stuff.

I fancy Devenish for it now.

FermPundit

Quote from: 689908 on August 10, 2009, 04:47:15 PM
Were you at any of the games pundit?

I was at the Kinawley/Aghadrumsee and Enniskillen/Belcoo double-header.  I fancied Enniskillen for the championship before that game but I can't see it now.  Lucky to beat Belcoo who also didn't play to nearly their full potential.

The Kinawley/Aghadrumsee game was dire stuff.

I fancy Devenish for it now.

I was at the games on Friday and Saturday night. Althought Enniskillen only played well in patches, they're still my tip for the championship. There is no substitute for experience and experience is what got the Gaels over the line against Belcoo. The match against Devenish will be really interesting. Devenish are the form team going by league positions but they haven't made an impact in the championship in a long number of years.

I agree the Kinawley Aghadrumsee match was hard to watch. Kinawley will probably make the final easily enough but I can't see them beating Ederney. They were quite impressive on Saturday night even without Marty McGrath. It looks like they have really benefited from playing Division one football this year.

Caid

FSFC QF line up

Enniskillen 
Devenish

Verdict
Youth against experience.  Devenish to make the breakthrough

St. Patricks 
Roslea

Verdict
Quigley on fire for Roslea and after they dispatched of Teemore so convincingly they would have to be favourites against the defending champions (who have struggled in the league)

Derrygonnelly 
Tempo

Verdict
Two enigmatic sides. Tempo would appear to have the stronger panel and should come through this one

Lisnaskea
Newtownbutler

Verdict
Newtownbutler to come through this one with a few points to spare
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written