Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belfast GAA man

In belfasT LD puzzle me . Not strong juveniles compared to Rossa st Paul's Sarsfields etc and yet far better at senior....

EOC1923

LD have been in that top bracket of competing teams for several years but for how long more? Several of their central players coming to a natural end imminently and the same quality not coming through to replace. I see them being overtaken by some of the clubs mentioned above

Calm Down

To say that Cargin will drop off due to not having the conveyer belt coming through is a strange thought process considering they have won x2  minor championships in a row and were not remotely challenged last  year until the final. They are starting to blood these young minor players already and is likely we will see a passing of the guard in terms of 1-15 in jerseys, however old timers like the McCanns, Crozier, Scullion etc will be on the bench to give guidance and that 10 mins of experience when needed in big games

imtommygunn

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on April 30, 2021, 09:17:55 AM
In belfasT LD puzzle me . Not strong juveniles compared to Rossa st Paul's Sarsfields etc and yet far better at senior....

Sure they still have a load of boys who won the ulster minor club so that would surely constitute strong plus they have older hands like Micko and PC hanging round.

Apart from the big guy at FF CD they are still young and will take a few years to get to the same standard I think. Could be wrong mind... Don't get me wrong I don't mean drop off entirely I mean drop off in terms of not being as dominant. The big guy who's name escapes me (ginger haired guy) is one of the best talents I've ever seen in antrim tbh. (Since Mick McCann)

EOC1923

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 30, 2021, 09:12:37 AM
The difference now though is there actually look like there are more teams capable of winning it. Cargin will drop off in the next few years as the like of Mick McCann, Crozier, Tomas McCann and a few others will eventually age and they won't have replacements as good. I still expect Cargin to likely win it but they will drop off and I don't think St Galls will be in a position to take over from that.

Creggan look like they could be a team who may miss out with that as they have a good crop now but just not quite as good as Cargin. It depends how long they hold out. It will be interesting to see how Aghagallon and even teams like Portglenone step up. Realistically still your contenders would seem to be St Johns, LD, Cargin, Creggan and then it depends whether Aghagallon and Portglenone can push on. I honestly think there should be more in St Johns than there is. I don't know if it's being a dual club or what that maybe focuses their attention less. They arguably should have won the hurling in the last number of years but may end up with neither. Now with Dunloy on the up I think football is their best chance for a senior title as Dunloy a good bit better.
Hard to see Cargin dropping off anytime soon, have been in contention for the last 35 years or so. Even if we didn't produce players to the exact high quality of those named we tend to integrate 2-3 young players a year onto the senior team, with two most recent minor championships this will number will only rise.
The hurling effects St Johns no doubt, but the depth of quality not there for me. Cargin and Creggan will battle it out for a place in the final and whoever wins will be strong favourites to go on and win it.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 30, 2021, 09:43:47 AM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on April 30, 2021, 09:17:55 AM

Sure they still have a load of boys who won the ulster minor club so that would surely constitute strong plus they have older hands like Micko and PC hanging round.

Apart from the big guy at FF CD they are still young and will take a few years to get to the same standard I think. Could be wrong mind... Don't get me wrong I don't mean drop off entirely I mean drop off in terms of not being as dominant. The big guy who's name escapes me (ginger haired guy) is one of the best talents I've ever seen in antrim tbh. (Since Mick McCann)

Pat Shivers is the guy you're talking about id imagine
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

imtommygunn

Couldn't mind his name. Great talent. Kobo, crozier, McCanns etc won't be replace overnight still but shivers a good one.

bannside

Rossa could surprise a few people this year. They will definitely take their share of points and will be mid table at worst in my book.

Belfast GAA man

no word of fixtures for start of LEagues? thought they were to start this weekend Coming

delgany

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on May 02, 2021, 07:04:38 PM
no word of fixtures for start of LEagues? thought they were to start this weekend Coming

First set of fixtures are on the antrim website ! Football leagues start  on 16th

bannside

Milltown Row2

Gaa games start on Saturday for me! Happy days
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Mrs MR will be glad too lol

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on May 02, 2021, 09:00:39 PM
Mrs MR will be glad too lol

She will but in fairness it's good for the soul, I've loads asking to be umpires for league games! I wonder why
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Calm Down

On that point MR2 and the rest of ye, do you not find it a bit farcical we cannot have a few men standing watching over the wire even though the shops and pubs can have people outside