Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike

all good dual clubs. IMO im thinking only Creggan or Dunloy have a realistic chance of winning at both. They've certainly the commitment but one discipline from either club still has a way to go to truly 'compete'

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Spike on April 29, 2021, 10:46:46 AM
all good dual clubs. IMO im thinking only Creggan or Dunloy have a realistic chance of winning at both. They've certainly the commitment but one discipline from either club still has a way to go to truly 'compete'

Creggan should have at the very east 1 intermediate title with that team in fairness. One or two players on that team and it would compete really well, unfortunate against us lately
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

They did win the intermediate one year did they not? (Not that long after they won AI junior)

Should be noted too on them that the team they beat in the AI junior final had the Bennet brothers and one of them is now an all star and got something like 1-11 in the AI semi final! (He was a bit younger to be fair(

Spike

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 29, 2021, 11:24:47 AM
Quote from: Spike on April 29, 2021, 10:46:46 AM

Creggan should have at the very east 1 intermediate title with that team in fairness. One or two players on that team and it would compete really well, unfortunate against us lately

Yeah they're a good hurling team at that level - I was more thinking of senior championships in both codes eg slaughtneil in Derry.

Cranfield

Yes we won an Antrim and Ulster intermediate title in 2015 with more or less the same squad as we have now.

Over the last number of years we would have in the region of 10 starters on the football team that also start for the hurlers.

Those players could be easily plying 40 games in a 7 month period which is crazy when you think about it

imtommygunn

I imagine the fact that your footballers are now genuine contenders has an impact. In 2015 I wouldn't have thought that you would have had a chance of winning the football now you would have.

Cranfield

Wouldn't disagree with that. If we were a single code football club I'd be confident we would have had at least one championship in the last few years.
But success isn't just measured with silverware. It also about promoting our games and providing opportunities to as many people across as many codes as we can. I think along with others we do that very well

imtommygunn

Yeah - very strong club and have done some improving the last 10-15 years.

Belfast GAA man

we haVe had st brides and st endas really advance in last ten years - would Lisburn have a chance of doing same? plenty of nationalists there now and ground is getting better any time i see it

bannside

I'd put Aghagallon on that list too. A top six team ATM and with a good age profile and from what I hear dozens of promising juveniles going through their conveyor

Belfast GAA man

had their populaTion increased ? or just hard work?

bannside

Been very strong in juvenile level in recent years winning lots of underage leagues in SW. Only need to be bringing two or three each year now to have strong panel of seniors.

Rodger Mona

yeah aghagallon have a good few underage teams and seem to be benefiting from their lads playing a good level of schools football. be interesting to see how them, st.endas and rossa do in the next few years as they seem to heave very young panels. though saying that if the same teams dont step up and make a county final atleast in the next ten years or atleast have a couple of years where they take a few scalps of the top 4, you could see alot of the promising youth maybe not come to fruition. no coincidence that, that creggan team hadnt been in a county final in 50 odd years then after their closely contested first one, they are back 2 years later in another one. alot to be said when you are in contention!

BS has portglenone much coming through the ranks? i see the county minor captain was a clubman of your own but to be honest i havnt heard much on portglenone underage. another team thats in the mix at senior level but could probably do with youth coming into that panel on a yearly basis. LD likewise

Milltown Row2

Tradition is a big factor in teams making finals and winning them, in the past 22 years bar Lamhs win there has been 2 clubs winning it...

22 years, its a long stretch.. before that St Paul's with a couple, Rossa with one and the Johnnies with a few.

Talk of teams coming through and making the breakthrough is just talk, would be great for Antrim football if there was 6/7 teams at a level were they will knock out a fav in the first round
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

The difference now though is there actually look like there are more teams capable of winning it. Cargin will drop off in the next few years as the like of Mick McCann, Crozier, Tomas McCann and a few others will eventually age and they won't have replacements as good. I still expect Cargin to likely win it but they will drop off and I don't think St Galls will be in a position to take over from that.

Creggan look like they could be a team who may miss out with that as they have a good crop now but just not quite as good as Cargin. It depends how long they hold out. It will be interesting to see how Aghagallon and even teams like Portglenone step up. Realistically still your contenders would seem to be St Johns, LD, Cargin, Creggan and then it depends whether Aghagallon and Portglenone can push on. I honestly think there should be more in St Johns than there is. I don't know if it's being a dual club or what that maybe focuses their attention less. They arguably should have won the hurling in the last number of years but may end up with neither. Now with Dunloy on the up I think football is their best chance for a senior title as Dunloy a good bit better.