Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

All the vibes I'm picking up are good too Jim. Nothing I say is meant to be negative. Just like every true supporter (almost 50 years at this stage lol) I see things that I comment on, hopefully in a fair and balanced manner.

The boys are new and finding their feet. None of them have any more than a couple of years managing teams and are still learning their trade. They have all the credentials to be great.

If someone on here thinks that we need a couple of extra man marking defenders (at the expense of everyone bombing forward and letting teams like Leitrim put six scores on the bounce against us when we were leading comfortably) or a few players to move the ball much much quicker than what they do...well I'm sure if the new Antrim management look in here, they won't have any objection to a bit of constructive opinion. It's nearly all good!

Spike

bs normally you are the shining light of positivity on here yet now you seem disappointed in the manner of our promotion despite us being in the most difficult section of the league and beating teams of higher ranking. Perhaps you're not giving credit to the teams we have beaten that should be given?  Normally you are the one getting ahead of yourself, what has happened? are you ok?  :P

Antrim are playing in patches during matches but they have been full value for their wins. Plenty to work on but there is a good spread of club representation, youth and experience in there.  Reports on the set up have been positive, both codes making progression which is good for the county board as well. Progression is very welcome and it feels like a long time since an Antrim team looked like they were progressing.

Dunsilly King

I'm afraid its the doting Dad syndrome kicking in. ;)

bannside

Was waiting on that coming and it's not a surprise you would think like that! Who are you doting on Creggan/Cargin man? What's your connection and we can debate that if you want to? My connection lasts a long time. Whether one of my son's is involved is irrelevant. They can talk for themselves.

Dunsilly King

Now BS don't be getting all thick with me. Thats why I put the winky face after it to let you know I wasn't being serious.

bannside

Lol DK😁. I've travelled all over Ireland to watch Antrim when I've had no one involved and will no doubt do so again. I apologise if I come across as negative. If I'm being 100% honest I cannot believe why Paddy Gallagher was so callously dropped and I rate Paddy Mc Cormack very highly too. Those two, as combative tight marking corner backs are well ahead in my view of a few current selections. They never let their county down and were in top 5 players either last year or year before in my book.

It's not about any individual. It's about getting our defensive set up right before some team goes to town on us.

Feel free to agree/disagree. That's all we can do anyway!

EOC1923

I don't see every Antrim game but I would disagree on P Gallagher, there are other players in there now that have more to their game. Its not callous to wipe the slate clean and pick your own players. Haven't seen enough of young McCormack to pass comment.

Belfast GAA man

cOuple of debating points

- best hunger in the team in years?
- best players finally playing
- Tyrone boys are building a CV for tyrone job?
- suprised not more Cargin boys starting?

bannside

That's exactly the point EOC.

You're new to the inter county scene, you've got a vested interest in your own, no harm in that, but you are in no place at all to offer a constructive view on the service or dependability Paddy Gallagher consistently offered. You simply didn't see him enough. If your vested interest offered so much for so long and was as callously dismissed, I don't think you would be happy.

Paddy started and finished every game for the last 4 years and all of a sudden gets completely wiped from the scene. I don't blame McGinley. This one was down to whoever was marking his card. A certain starter, maybe not, but imo much further up the pecking order than a few who are getting game time.

All about opinions. We are a Division 3 team now, immediate objective achieved. The debate does not need to reach fever pitch. As I say it's nearly all good.

EOC1923

You seem to rate him highly, fair enough I have nothing against him, but I can comment I have seen him play several times. He wasn't the current management teams cup of tea and that's sport for you.

bannside

I know you are a strong advocate of youth EOC as are others. Once upon a time I managed our county under twenty ones in a few  successful challenges against our seniors. I've nothing against transition, in fact it's a necessity.

Your own lad is good enough too if I have you placed correctly. His day will come for sure.

JimStynes

Did your young lad get dropped BS or is he not getting a sniff? Has anyone got a full list of the players on the panel?
I do agree with you slightly about Paddy Gallagher BS. Though I don't rate him as a good county standard footballer, he made up for it in effort and commitment. I wouldn't have him starting but would definitely have had him on the panel. Was very surprised to see he got the chop. It was ruthless enough. A lot of young players on the panel now though and still more to come in. There's always going to be a few decisions that people aren't going to be happy with but this is the most positive I have seen Antrim football in many years!

bannside

We would all settle for the situation we are in. Individual players might feel miffed here and there, it's happened in every team that ever existed. You either walk away or put your head down and fight harder for your place. No one has a given right to any jersey, without exception.

I applaud the vast majority of what I see and hear. I think we need to stop carrying balls into tackles, move ball a lot quicker and put a little more emphasis on direct man marking. Apart from that, carry on regardless.

bannside

Tonight we had a good tussle with Rossa. Not much between us. Good to get back out and watch football on a summer evening.

Spike

BS agree with you that Paddy McCormick was a surprise, certainly as a panel member and would have learned a lot this year but of course there are only so many places.  Don't necessarily agree with you regarding Paddy Gallagher and being cut from a squad when nrs are being trimmed is always brutal. I'm not sure there is really a good way of telling someone they don't fit after trials? 

The management had a clean slate without the baggage of yesteryear and they have shown that with their selections.  It must also be clear that we are talking about 2 potential squad players, not definite starters or stars of the team.

I agree with you the defence needs tightening. Whether the full back line is being exposed at times due to playing a new system with new players, under a new manager and requiring it to bed in, or the personnel need adjusting is one that we will find out in the coming weeks / next year - one thing for sure is there are very hungry players on the subs bench wanting to seize their chance - Nice problem to have.