Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBallWeeBall

Following on the Fr Ted theme has Mrs Doyle shed any light on the playing of county players in club games.

bannside

It's fair enough WhatwillB if it is explained in advance that a certain player will be joining up a few weeks late. I take your point about being fair to those who are training, but as long as he isn't jetted in the week of the game to the rest of the players surprise, then I'd say the vast majority of players on the panel would have no objection to one of our grade a stand out performers in recent years being involved.

I'm thinking of the contribution Conor Harrison made to Down a few years back, and throughout history there are dozens of stories about late additions to squads.  Dermot Connolly bring another last year.

All about opinions I suppose.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: BigBallWeeBall on May 19, 2021, 01:34:35 PM
Following on the Fr Ted theme has Mrs Doyle shed any light on the playing of county players in club games.
if only ther was a full time administrator in Craggy Island Croke Park to clear this up! |Away to hide in a hedge and watch a match

bannside

As far as I know anyone who did not play at least one half for the county can strip out for their clubs for half a game. Something like that, but yes, a bit more definition would be good. Can't be leaving it up to players.

whatwillbwillb

Quote from: bannside on May 19, 2021, 04:16:11 PM
It's fair enough WhatwillB if it is explained in advance that a certain player will be joining up a few weeks late. I take your point about being fair to those who are training, but as long as he isn't jetted in the week of the game to the rest of the players surprise, then I'd say the vast majority of players on the panel would have no objection to one of our grade a stand out performers in recent years being involved.

I'm thinking of the contribution Conor Harrison made to Down a few years back, and throughout history there are dozens of stories about late additions to squads.  Dermot Connolly bring another last year.

All about opinions I suppose.

Fair enough bannside, Conor Harrison good call...

JimStynes

It's hard to get a good commentator these days  :)

BigBallWeeBall

St Endas v LD has a penalty shoot out score  of 6 - 5.  Were any Co players allowed to play? Or was it 2 defensive teams playing

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: BigBallWeeBall on May 20, 2021, 10:43:25 AM
St Endas v LD has a penalty shoot out score  of 6 - 5.  Were any Co players allowed to play? Or was it 2 defensive teams playing

Creggan v Rossa not much better
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

asaffgael

Cunningham played a half and Crozier played the match. Very strange the week of a game. What is the rule? Just a case by case basis?

bannside

Its a good question. The real danger is if you are on the squad somewhere between 20 and 30 you could easily get caught up in no man's land. No ball time for club or county.

I think the players themselves know where they stand on this, and when to play and when not to. Its a thin line though and I can't see the county stepping in and making anything compulsory.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: bannside on May 20, 2021, 12:38:57 PM
Its a good question. The real danger is if you are on the squad somewhere between 20 and 30 you could easily get caught up in no man's land. No ball time for club or county.

I think the players themselves know where they stand on this, and when to play and when not to. Its a thin line though and I can't see the county stepping in and making anything compulsory.
its an ecumenical matter ted

imtommygunn

Another good result for St Brigids. Still early days I guess to tell but they look to have improved at least.

bannside

No doubt ITG. Big strong team, well drilled....underestimate them at your peril!

imtommygunn

Anyone else's stream froze?

imtommygunn

Go on paddy ye boy ye. Great win. Would have been nice to see it too given I paid for it.