Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Johnston very sharp I thought too. It's one game. We are not going to be able to compete at this level week in week out overnight - that's not how it works. We need a few years at it and anything we get off these bigger teams is a bonus.

bannside

Let's keep it positive. If there was an All Ireland for negativity we would have it wrapped long ago. Whether it's football or hurling that needs to change. Darren needs to know we are behind him fully. We mightn't win many matches in Div 1, but if we can get reasonably competitive that's a big start in my book. Up the Saffrons.

BrendanAntrim

We will be able to support them in person for next two home games, or at least 500 will. Don't know how that will be worked out but I would love to see our hurlers and footballers over the next few weeks

Milltown Row2

Just finished watching the game, we hurled better second half, we can't compete on puck outs against the physical teams, Dublin, Kilkenny will have that over us, disappointed that we didn't hoover up some breaking balls and missed more frees than we normally do, that and a few more sessions and games we will e a lot closer to them come championship.

Dublin are at that standard, I actually don't see them improving much more and we have a lot more in our locker.

Thought Conor was great when he came on, he was able to pick up the breaks and convert or play the ball.

We'd some of our stand out players playing below par today also and our positions could be different, maybe that was a plan as we meet them in Championship  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: groundlie on May 22, 2021, 09:17:38 PM
We more than a few who just won't cut it at that level. Thank god for the performances of Johnson, Walsh and Elliot. It's a bit of a wake all call. Two defeats on the bounce and we let teams blow us away always in the first 20.
My point was in 2018 we lost by a point away to Galway and were robbed at home against Dublin. We were playing much better hurling that season.

I was at the game v Dublin we were not robbed, this team is better conditioned than that 2018 team, in fact we are getting closer to the team Dinny first had. Our level had dropped since Dinny and we've only (in my view) started to come back to that competitive level.

I remember thinking a good few years ago we were getting better and some performances were decent, then went to loughgiel to watch us v Limerick, they weren't close to being good and they hammered us!

I think we'll take more from that game going into the championship, I still think we've a couple or 3 players still able to improve that squad
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BrendanAntrim

Two defeats on the bounce and we let teams blow us away always in the first 20.

We were one behind after 20mins today 🤷‍♂️

themac_23

Quote from: groundlie on May 23, 2021, 08:35:24 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 22, 2021, 09:30:43 PM
Quote from: groundlie on May 22, 2021, 09:17:38 PM
We more than a few who just won't cut it at that level. Thank god for the performances of Johnson, Walsh and Elliot. It's a bit of a wake all call. Two defeats on the bounce and we let teams blow us away always in the first 20.
My point was in 2018 we lost by a point away to Galway and were robbed at home against Dublin. We were playing much better hurling that season.

I was at the game v Dublin we were not robbed, this team is better conditioned than that 2018 team, in fact we are getting closer to the team Dinny first had. Our level had dropped since Dinny and we've only (in my view) started to come back to that competitive level.

I remember thinking a good few years ago we were getting better and some performances were decent, then went to loughgiel to watch us v Limerick, they weren't close to being good and they hammered us!

I think we'll take more from that game going into the championship, I still think we've a couple or 3 players still able to improve that squad

Bs! We were much closer to a better Dublin team in 18', fact! Dublin blew holes in us yesterday, if not for the keeper RE we would have love by 15+

Exactly the kinda positivity we need good man!

We came up last year, everyone told us the step up would be too much for us, our lads have stepped up and are working their arse off to compete at this level, we stay up this year it's a massive massive achievement. Most of these lads are finding their feet at this level give them a chance fs, stay up and build on it next year.

Jonkunlon

That's correct. Save the judgement and analysis until the end of the league campaign. If we stay up - that's a big success. We have beaten Clare, went toe to toe with Kilkenny, both of which heightened expectation going into yesterday's game.

groundlie

I'm not being negative. I love this team. But we need to stop letting teams get ahead of us. We are showing them too much respect. Against wexford we need to be in their faces from the start. Fitzy will have them up for it and we have to match their aggression but getting stuck into them from the start and dying with our boots on.

imtommygunn

They got ahead of us because they're better than us.  Wexford game a bonus. Laois is the main game.

Milltown Row2

Wexford are an established senior team, we've been in the lower leagues and a bit of a yo-yo county, Wexford have won their two games and will come to us after playing (Kilkenny) very much fancied.

If we match them for work rate then I'm happy with that, we'll need to improve on last game v Dublin but that's a 6 day turnaround from the Kilkenny game then yo meet a physically bigger unit in Dublin, a lot of hits, the rest will do us well and if Wexford play next week it'll work better for us

imtommygunn

Exactly. A win against Wexford is a massive bonus- being competitive and continuing to improve/ learning some lessons is what we want to show.

One thing I would say though is Dublin seemed to play a sweeper. We seem to struggle in the forward line when a sweeper is in there. I would definitely like to see better ideas there.

Mr I see your old club man banged in a few for Tyrone yesterday.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 23, 2021, 04:58:27 PM
Exactly. A win against Wexford is a massive bonus- being competitive and continuing to improve/ learning some lessons is what we want to show.

One thing I would say though is Dublin seemed to play a sweeper. We seem to struggle in the forward line when a sweeper is in there. I would definitely like to see better ideas there.

Mr I see your old club man banged in a few for Tyrone yesterday.

Seen that, he'll do well enough on that team, there are a couple of decent hurlers there in front of him, but he'll find his feet quickly

Crikeyboys

Antrim have no ball winners, very poor ball control and reactions too slow for this level. They never seen to win any shemozzells. They are incredibly easy to disposess. Some of these players have not produced over the three games and should not be persisted with. Much to hope for but we shouldn't get carried away. Its to be hoped Gleeson doesn't develop any teachers pets.