Wexford v Meath

Started by boro, May 20, 2008, 09:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meathie

Yea I was wondering that myself. I was in the stand the last time. Think the rest was and still is standing?? Was hoping to get down there and see the game sat night stay over and have some craic but the whole of Carlow is booked solid, left it too late, damn it!

agorm

Quote from: meathie on May 27, 2008, 03:00:41 PM
I know if a fella thinks he's hard done by they have every right to appeal their decision but at this stage I think the players should be letting this go and getting on with the focus of Wexford. I can see them winning their appeal and then we lose the game anyway!(hopefully not in reality) Id agree with Jinxy about the 2 players to bring on if they get appeals lifted esp Kenny, one of the most under rated players on the team, the Paddy Reynolds of today. I reckon Coyle will stick with the same team on sunday bar swapping Nestor for Farrell if he even does that.

Absolutely totally disagree with you here Meathie. The players feel genuinely that they have a case. There is a facility in the rules to allow them to make this claim and they are making their case within the system. This was essentially trial because of media and some statements made by senior people within the GAA. Of course they were wrong in getting involved but if they can make their case and feel that they are justified then fair play and best of luck to them.
As far as I know they asked the CCC to identify the offences they are being suspended for and this was not forthcoming. It's imnfortunate that the case is not being heard until Friday but the decision to take the case was probably known before they knew that it was going to be so close to the Wexford game.

Jinxy

To be honest, although they do have a case I think this hearing makes preparing for the game that bit harder. You have to pick a team and prepare all week based on the assumption that the suspensions will be upheld. Then if the players are cleared it complicates team selection a day before a big game. I personally believe the team will be picked tomorrow and that'll be the team that starts. If the suspended players are made available they will all start on the bench, with the probable exception of Murphy.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

boro

WEXFORD TEAM NAMED
1. Anthony Masterson,

2. Colm Morris (capt),
3. Philip Wallace,
4. Brian Malone,

5. Nicky O'Sullivan,
6. David Murphy,
7. Niall Murphy,

8. Rory Stafford,
9. Eric Bradley,

10. PJ Banville,
11. Redmond Barry,
12. Adrian Flynn,

13. CiarĂ¡n Lyng,
14. Paddy Colfer,
15. Matty Forde.

A good looking side there, jason obviously went for a few of our more physical players. Meath wont be pushing that team around the place anyway.

Jinxy

agorm

Quote from: Jinxy on May 28, 2008, 02:11:01 PM
To be honest, although they do have a case I think this hearing makes preparing for the game that bit harder. You have to pick a team and prepare all week based on the assumption that the suspensions will be upheld. Then if the players are cleared it complicates team selection a day before a big game. I personally believe the team will be picked tomorrow and that'll be the team that starts. If the suspended players are made available they will all start on the bench, with the probable exception of Murphy.

Fair enough and I know that it is certainly not ideal and that the hearing should have been held earlier. I do think there were some complications regarding the makeup of the DRA for this hearing. However, I do still think the players are right - even if they have to sit on the bench some of them could still be crucial to the outcopme of what promises to be a very tight match. After all our most realistic objective this year is the Leinster championship and this a crucial encounter and one that we need every possible player available to have a chance of winning.

thejuice

Meath team that beat Louth in a challenge game in Meath Hill last Sunday

QuoteM Ahern;

B O`Reilly,
D Fay,
S Carr;

E Harrington,
E Reilly,
B Ennis;

M Ward,
D Sheridan;

A Moyles (0-1),
S O`Rourke,
G Reilly;

A Nestor (1-2),
B Farrell (0-6, two frees),
B Sheridan (1-1).

Subs -
P Byrne for O`Rourke,
C King for E Reilly,
P O`Rourke for Ahern,
J Sheridan (0-1) for Ward,
O`Rourke for G Reilly,
G Geraghty (0-1) for Byrne,
K Reilly (0-1) for D Sheridan,
C O Mealoid for Carr,
S Bray for Nestor.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

meathie

Well Coyle has said he will name his team before the hearing which I think is a good idea. At least the players will be focused and then as said before if the other players do succeed with the hearing he'll have them on the bench. I have a feeling he is going to name the same team as against Carlow, not even bringing on Farrell though Id say Farrell will come into the fray pretty early on. He said he had no interest in changing a side that had done no wrong. 

Hardy

I'd be a bit worried if his rationale for choosing a team is whether or not they "did wrong" in the previous game. I would have thought the manager's/selectors' job was to select the best players in each position for the game in question and performance in the previous game is only one factor among many in making a selection decision.

meathie

Sorry Hardy thats me kinda paraphrasing, not very well!  :-[ here is what he did say

Matters appear to be clearing up on the injury front. Cian Ward, Brian Meade, Chris O`Connor and Cormac McGill sat out Sunday evening`s 2-13 to 0-12 SF challenge win over Louth at the official opening of the host club`s new Prunty pitch, but all are expected to be fit.

As well has having a clean bill of health following the Carlow victory, Coyle also welcomed back three players that have been out long term.

"We have Anthony Moyles back and against Louth we also got Shane O`Rourke back on the pitch and Brian Farrell got some more crucial game-time.

"Those lads still have a bit to do to get match fit. You have to hand it to the lads who did well the last day. I know Carlow weren`t up to much, but the lads that were on the pitch did very well.

"I always maintain that the man in possession of the jersey, if he is in form, deserves to hold onto it. There is good competition and we have options now."

Coyle is still hoping to have his five suspended players available for Sunday`s tilt at Wexford. The quintet will have their final hearing with the Disputes Resolution Authority (DRA) on Friday night and if successful they will be available.

Hardy

Fair enough, meathie. Not really having a go at Colm either. I'd still not necessarily agree with him about the man in possession. Not always, anyway - horses for courses, etc. But if he's giving a signal to lads that everyone has a chance of nailing down a place and that players who get picked because of absences etc. should seize their opportunity, that's a good idea.

feetofflames

Wasnt there a whole back patting session during last season about Meath having the honour to take their punishment  like a man and not appealing some incident.  Has their been a seismic policy / manliness change down in the Royle county. 
Chief Wiggum

thejuice

Quote from: feetofflames on May 29, 2008, 11:34:04 AM
Wasnt there a whole back patting session during last season about Meath having the honour to take their punishment  like a man and not appealing some incident.  Has their been a seismic policy / manliness change down in the Royle county. 

Indeed, I was thinking the same, I really cant see the suspensions being overturned
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

magpie seanie

I would see this as different. Lads getting suspended for a bit of pushing and shoving causing outcry on Joe Duffy as opposed to a lad getting a straight red card.

Jinxy

Lads will do the time if they do the crime. Like Farrell last year. He threw a slap so he took his punishment. This is completely different and is largely a media-driven witch-hunt which Nicky Brennan piled into feet first. Don't forget these players have already missed one championship game. Is it fair that they miss two? For what exactly?