Wexford v Meath

Started by boro, May 20, 2008, 09:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boro

Two weeks time in Dr. Cullen Park. Any thoughts?

Wexford have a very good record against Meath of late, beating them handy the last two times they met. Still Meath looked fierce impressive against an albeit dire Carlow team. Kicked points for fun even without the suspended players. Really looking forward to this game, Wexford seem well below the radar this year despite being the only unbeaten team in the league. Suits us nicely. There is a feeling down in the southeast that there could be a Leinster final in this crop of players. We will soon see.

Zulu

Yeah I think this could be one of the games of the championship, Wexford have a great chance IMO and will go into this game confident of getting a result. It's hard to say where this Meath team are in the greater scheme of things, this game will tell us a lot about both teams ability to challenge Dublin for the Leinster championship.

thejuice

The Carlow game did nothing for us but perhaps give us a bit of confidence, but it was a farce. Really fear Wexford, they had a great run in the league, a strong forward line with Matty Forde dangerous as ever and a solid midfield, I can see this going down to the wire alright.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Hardy

The farce against Carlow was the worst possible preparation for this match. It will have done nothing to harden resolve in training and, with the best will in the world, may implant dangerous delusions in players' minds. It's always very hard to produce two great performances in a row. We'll need the great performance against Wexford; we didn't need it against Carlow, with due sad regard to their internal problems, which I hope they'll get fixed.

There was one positive from the Carlow game - the performances of the newcomers, if they can be trusted as real, given the opposition. If these lads are as good at inter-county level as they looked, we have a lot more options than we thought and the performance of Meade, in particular is very hopeful, given I believe our biggest problem is at midfield. I was also very impressed with Damien Sheridan.

There continues to be what seems an embarrassment of riches in the forwards and it would be great if the signs are correct that Cian Ward is ready to deliver on his potential at the top level. You'd wonder who you'd drop to make way for Farrell and O'Rourke.

Wexford's true worth may be a bit of a puzzle (I don't pay any attention to League form as a championship pointer), but if they're as good as they were when last we met, facing them without six or seven first choice players is daunting. If they're even better, as some suggest, it's frightening.

Billys Boots

QuoteI was also very impressed with Damien Sheridan.

Way hey, at last there's an inter-county player called Damien Sheridan who might be worth talking about.  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Model Hammer

Quote from: Hardy on May 21, 2008, 10:13:02 AM
Wexford's true worth may be a bit of a puzzle (I don't pay any attention to League form as a championship pointer), but if they're as good as they were when last we met, facing them without six or seven first choice players is daunting. If they're even better, as some suggest, it's frightening.

Hardy, I'm not putting on the poor mouth here, but a lot of things conspired against Meath that day. For starters, ye had that eejit in charge, but on the day you had the early missed goal opportunities, the sending off before HT, a very soft goal conceded, and the energy seemed to just drain out of the Meath lads. I acknowledge that our lads finshed the game off in some style (overseen by the much-maligned Paul Bealin), but I don't think that game will count for much come Sunday-week ....

I heard a report from someone who witnessed Wexford training last week, and he was literally blown away by what he saw. It was very encouraging, from the point of view of the state of football in the county, and the spirit and enthusiasm that Jason Ryan has instilled in his squad. It's not enough to make me rush out and back them, and it's certainly no guarantee that we'll beat Meath, but it's all very encouraging while this man is in charge.

Jinxy

You are right Model Hammer about the last championship encounter. It could have been very different if we had got at least one of the early goal chances and hadn't had a man sent off. Mattie was on fire that day but he was given far too much space. Moyles came on (even though he was injured) and scored a goal and a point to try and rally the lads but it was too late. Moyles is by a country mile our most important player. People said to me after the Cork game "Sure he's only one player, it wouldn't have made any difference." It would have made a huge difference as far as I'm concerned. He is the leader on the field, by word and example, and he inspires confidence. The younger players looked lost without him against Cork. If we had him back for the Wexford game I'd be very confident. But we won't so I'm nervous as f*ck!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

Agreed lads, but whatever about Meath's failings that day. Wexford knew how to take full advantage of them and did so very impressively. I don't remember ever seeing a team use the extra man so well.

I agree 100% Jinxy about Moyles. I also strongly believe he should be anchored to the CHB position, for now anyway. Anytime he plays there, you don't see lads running through our middle for sport. Anytime he doesn't, you do. I'd like to see Kevin Reilly or CaoimhĂ­n King develop into a reliable CHB, but I'm not sure yet. That would free Moyles to be a third midfielder, which is where his ability and brain would be best deployed, especially in a team struggling at midfield. In the meantime, I'd swap those roles and play Reilly as the third midfielder.

Jinxy

I forgot to add, Wexford must be serious favourites for this one.

Jinxy

Anyone know how the challenge match against Louth in Meath Hill went today? (I'm assuming it was an afternoon and not an evening game).

meathie

Think that game was on in the evening didnt hear anything on it yet.Cant wait or this game. Dunno what it is usually Im nervous as hell and prob will be on sunday but I think we can do this one. Itll be clsoe but if we can snuf Forde out I think we can do it, theres a great hunger there this year and thats when we can be dangerous (I hope!) Someone had said to me this weekend they reckon Geraghty should be out on Forde. At first I laughed, alot, but the more I think of it the more sense it makes. He'd cancel Forde out, I reckon Geraghty could beat him for most ball. I would just be worried that the two of them may see red before the final whistle!  :o

while Im on a couple of us staying in Carlow on Sunday. Can some Carlow folk tell me if the Dolmen Hotel is near the pitch and town or is there somewhere else? cheers

Dinny Breen

QuoteCan some Carlow folk tell me if the Dolmen Hotel is near the pitch and town or is there somewhere else?

The Dolmen is out the Kilkenny road, about 2/3 miles outside the town, it's the far side away from Dr Cullen. The Dinn Ri or the 7 Oaks would be far closer.
#newbridgeornowhere

scalder

I hope the Meath team are a focused on Mattie as their supporters!! Did you see Ciaran Lyng in action last year in Croke Park?? We've far more upfront than Mattie.

Hardy

Quote from: meathie on May 26, 2008, 09:39:20 AMI would just be worried that the two of them may see red before the final whistle!  :o

That'd be a result, though, wouldn't it?

Jinxy

I could see Graham playing a role like he did in Parnell Park for the first half of the Dublin game. Picking up ball around the half back line and maybe dropping in behind when Wexford have possession. I'm actually really looking forward to this game now. It's a pity about the injuries and suspensions but I think it'll still be very competitive.