Tommie Kenoy: the man who rewrote Ireland's history - in his own words

Started by quidnunc, April 09, 2008, 06:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quidnunc

The following was published in the Roscommon Herald in a column by a Mr T Kenoy, who is apparently the Roscommon rep on Central Council.

"WHAT'S THE SCORE
Anniversary of a Memorable Occasion
Attending Ireland's Six Nations game against Wales in Croke Park recently was disappointing from a sporting perspective. But it also brought back memories of a historic occasion exactly one year earlier when the 'Auld Enemy' ventured onto Croker's sacred sod and got kicked off the pitch by Eddie O'Sullivan's heroes.
How times can change in a short period. ...Some believed that there would be a riot on Jones' Road...
But the opposite happened. It was a day of peace, tranquility and triumph when Ireland declared her independence, when we all started singing from the same hymn sheet. It was a day when all creeds and classes united on a sporting occasion and showed dignified respect for each other, a quality that had previously been absent for hundreds of years.
And no the sky didn't fall. Indeed that day was the cornerstore of a new Ireland, an Ireland that has matured beyond recognition, has moved on to a new all-embracing and more tolerant mode.
A year later and there was hardly a word written or spoken anywhere about the fact that a foreign game was being played in Croke Park. There are still a few of the "no change brigade" around but then in any democracy they are fully entitled to their opinion, different though it may be from the vast majority.
Ireland's history, as my generation learned it, reflected generations of ideological bigotry. The new history is little over than a year old, written on a day when a new generation marched unshackled through the debris of centuries of racial and religious intolerance. It was a proud day for Ireland, a proud day also for the GAA as a historic moment was played out on the history laden sod of its headquarters.
A year later foreign games on Croker are no longer news worthy. How times move on.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Jinxy on April 09, 2008, 07:38:50 PM
Sean Kelly won't be happy.
The pair are well met anyway.

Kenoy's a bigger joke than their footballers are these days. Is he meant to be promoting the GAA or socce/rugby? Oh and yes, he is fully behind the GPA too. >:(

Tatler Jack

QuoteKenoy's a bigger joke than their footballers are these days

True Owenmoresider and thats saying something. He also had a go at those who oppose grants.  A man seriously in love wih himself and his media image.

Pangurban

A total prat, who will soon be a media darling, they will use him for their own ends. Not worth bothering about, idiots like him come and go, they leave no mark

orangeman

A total arse - who does he think he is ? God almighty ??? Loves himself no doubt about it !

quidnunc

QuoteHe also had a go at those who oppose grants.

I was so astounded by his comments about Croke Park that I neglected to focus on his comments on Of One Belief.

Here is what he had to say about them:

"Of One Belief - who are they, how were they formed, what mandate do they have and from whom and how did this unelected, unaffiliated group manage to get hearings from the DRA?

In summary, the answers are as follows. They are an unelected unaffiliated body formed by objectors to the Players Grant Scheme who have no mandate from anybody. Unfortunately the rule establishing the DRA is ambiguous enough to allow a window for such groups.

By granting them a hearing, the DRA is legitimising a group who have no official standing in the GAA. Indeed, they are creating a precedent that means any group with a bee in its bonnet can attempt to undermine democratically reached decisions.

The level of hypocrisy in this group is mind-boggling. Many of its adherents are members of clubs who are paying huge sums of money to team managers. Their chief organiser has been involved for years in a fundraising group in Tyrone whose income is used to look after the "needs" of allegedly amateur inter-county players.

Now they want to block a scheme that will recognise the special place of Gaelic games in our society...

This group simply demonstrates again that there will always be whiter than white mavericks out there who want to undermine legitimately reached democratic decisions. Thankfully, democracy allows them a voice. Thankfully, the majority also rules."

Now that I look at these statements, they look quite libellous. Unless Mr Kenoy can magic up some proof of his allegiations. What do the Tyrone people think?

Shamrock Shore

Jesus. That's some load of shite for one pen/keyboard/crayon. Is this fellow related to Willie Hegarty? Is he Willie Hegarty?

Onlooker

Looks like this guy is starting his campaign to be GAA President in 2012.  You have been warned!!!.

heineken_on_tap

In fairness to the man, I dont see anything wrong with his article. Opening up Croker (for a certain amount of time) to Rugby/Soccer did not cause the end of the world or cause any damage to GAA that we know about. England came to town and everyone behaved impeccably. And he is right the media or most GAA supporters did not make any big deal of Wales playing in Croker...

cornafean

Quote from: quidnunc on April 09, 2008, 11:14:02 PM
Now that I look at these statements, they look quite libellous.

They certainly appear libellous. Which is odd given Mr. Kenoy's occupational background.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

magpie seanie

Heineken on tap - if you don't see anythnig wrong with his article I'd have grave worries about you! I know he's a fellow county man but you cannot defend the indefensible.

QuoteIt was a day of peace, tranquility and triumph when Ireland declared her independence

What a load of absolute horseshit. What a f**king idiot.

I'd like to think there's no way he'd get near the presidency. If he did well we'd have to pack up the tent.

Hound

Quote from: cornafean on April 10, 2008, 12:51:14 PM
Quote from: quidnunc on April 09, 2008, 11:14:02 PM
Now that I look at these statements, they look quite libellous.

They certainly appear libellous. Which is odd given Mr. Kenoy's occupational background.
Its not libelous if its true.

his holiness nb

What a total tool.

"It was a day of peace, tranquility and triumph when Ireland declared her independence"

This has to be one of the stupidest statements I have ever read.

Jesus the day went well, which was good, but to say it was the first day of our nations new history?

What a plank.

Ask me holy bollix