government grants to GAA players -- not getting into prefessionalism etc

Started by squareballz, March 18, 2008, 02:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

behind the wire

He who laughs last thinks the slowest

AZOffaly

Well there are over 1,000 people who bothered to register with them, so they can at least purport to represent them. I didn't register with them, and they wouldn't be a million miles from my view, especially in relation to the way the money will be handed out.

As I said, it's inaccurate for any group anywhere to claim they represent everybody in a particular demographic, unless they are fully signed up members of the group. Human nature means that any large group of people will have contrasting opinions on everything. So you are correct, OOB should say they 'represent their members, who are part of the grassroots of the association'.

Dessie's claim about who he represents is not relevant in this instance, but he is correct in that he says he represents his members, not all players. I have no problem with that.

orangeman

It's as simple as this :Although I would roughly support a lot of what he beleivesin, Mark Conway needs to catch himself on and realise that the GAA at county board, provinicial and national level do not give one fiddlers about the so called ordinary grassroots GAA member. Although the GAA is made up primarily of ordinary, hardworking volunteers, this ethos is no longer recognised, valued or respected at county board, provincial or national level. Ordinary club members are there to do the shite work, breed and nurture new talent to be sacrficed by clubs as soon as they are of any use to the county teams so their talent can be utilised by the higher echelons of the GAA.

It's sadly as simple as this.

And the president's job is to go round the clubs and counties, open new fields ( paid for by hardworking members at club level ) and tell us gobshites how much our work is valued and respected and how there'd be no GAA without us !!

FFS when are WE going to cop on ???

We're the ASSHOLES not Nicky Brennan et al !!

magpie seanie

Of one belief represent my views also and many others that I know and have spoken to about this issue. The DRA report was quite interesting and OOB came out of the process with plenty of credit, if not that decision.

It seems as if this is going to be forced through regardless next weekend. So we'll have to like it or lump it by the looks of things. It is a dangerous road to go down I feel but time will tell.

Orangeman - well put.

Uladh

With respect orangeman that is a completely different issue, though one i agree with you on.

This Dra hearing and the issue of the grants is ultimately dependent on its infringement of rule 11 or not.
Obviously it does not.

Nearly winning, filling the forms in correctly or having some mythical moral high ground is all beside the point.

This scheme was challenged on its legality within the GAA's amateur status and found to be legal.

The scaremongering and hyperbole which has accompanied the oob grouping since it's inception has done their cause no good whatsoever and i resent their continued claim to be representaive of "the grass roots".

Hound

Quote from: orangeman on April 09, 2008, 12:10:57 PM
the GAA at county board, provinicial and national level do not give one fiddlers about the so called ordinary grassroots GAA member. Although the GAA is made up primarily of ordinary, hardworking volunteers, this ethos is no longer recognised, valued or respected at county board, provincial or national level. Ordinary club members are there to do the shite work, breed and nurture new talent to be sacrficed by clubs as soon as they are of any use to the county teams so their talent can be utilised by the higher echelons of the GAA.

Woe is you.

I would have thought that a significant number of "grassroots" give up their time to their club because they enjoy it.  How that changes through players getting a few quid extra is beyond me - though I firmly believe the green-eyed monster is somewhere involved, and of course the general begrudgery that goes against those arrogant hoors who play intercounty.

behind the wire

Quote from: Uladh on April 09, 2008, 12:28:22 PM

With respect orangeman that is a completely different issue, though one i agree with you on.

This Dra hearing and the issue of the grants is ultimately dependent on its infringement of rule 11 or not.
Obviously it does not.

Nearly winning, filling the forms in correctly or having some mythical moral high ground is all beside the point.

This scheme was challenged on its legality within the GAA's amateur status and found to be legal.

The scaremongering and hyperbole which has accompanied the oob grouping since it's inception has done their cause no good whatsoever and i resent their continued claim to be representaive of "the grass roots".

thats exactly right and mark conway has said that he accepts the decision. he has made his point.

it is now up to congress to decide whether or not the grants scheme should come into effect.

i have made my feelings known on the subject and still cant help feeling that there has been an awful lot of underhand tactics employed by the gaa in this saga, its as if they tried to push the whole thing through without taking into account the wishes of all members - a dangerous precedent to set.

that said i feel conway et al have done a good job of forcing the gaa to take the opinion of all members into account. i will accept whatever decision comes from congress and get on with it.

i still think this is a very dangerous time for the gaa and can see the whole thing blowing up in dessie's face later down the line.

He who laughs last thinks the slowest

orangeman

Quote from: Hound on April 09, 2008, 12:30:04 PM
Quote from: orangeman on April 09, 2008, 12:10:57 PM
the GAA at county board, provinicial and national level do not give one fiddlers about the so called ordinary grassroots GAA member. Although the GAA is made up primarily of ordinary, hardworking volunteers, this ethos is no longer recognised, valued or respected at county board, provincial or national level. Ordinary club members are there to do the shite work, breed and nurture new talent to be sacrficed by clubs as soon as they are of any use to the county teams so their talent can be utilised by the higher echelons of the GAA.

Woe is you.

I would have thought that a significant number of "grassroots" give up their time to their club because they enjoy it.  How that changes through players getting a few quid extra is beyond me - though I firmly believe the green-eyed monster is somewhere involved, and of course the general begrudgery that goes against those arrogant hoors who play intercounty.

Not at all Hound - we'll continue to volunteer unlike you but I for one can see through the GAA and their structures. The GAA if they decide to do something will do it in spite of what thier members say. The GAA pretends to be a democratic organisation - democratic my hole ! Democratic when it suits ! I'm not oppsoed to players getting expenses but ordinary club players are treated like shite by the GAA cos they're of no use to them cos they're not bringing in the big revenues !

magpie seanie

QuoteI would have thought that a significant number of "grassroots" give up their time to their club because they enjoy it.

The same as county players giving up their time to train and play for the county.

orangeman

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 09, 2008, 12:47:20 PM
QuoteI would have thought that a significant number of "grassroots" give up their time to their club because they enjoy it.

The same as county players giving up their time to train and play for the county.

Hound is trying the GAA's line of "you'se are great fellas giving up your time in order to volunteer because you love the association and the GAA wouldn't be the hugely powerful organisation that it is today without you ! " - By the way, for full effect you have to be able to say this in a Kilkenny accent !  ;) ;D

Uladh

Yes Seanie, but if the government are offering to recognise those efforts by funding an increase their expenses then fair enough. the GAA of course are entitled o say "thanks but no thanks" and that is what congress is for. The GAA hierarchy have endorsed the government's initiative in principle. maybe they should be lobbying for similar recognition for other facets of our organisations?

orangeman

Quote from: Uladh on April 09, 2008, 01:01:21 PM

Yes Seanie, but if the government are offering to recognise those efforts by funding an increase their expenses then fair enough. the GAA of course are entitled o say "thanks but no thanks" and that is what congress is for. The GAA hierarchy have endorsed the government's initiative in principle. maybe they should be lobbying for similar recognition for other facets of our organisations?

Club players ?

feetofflames

How long will it take before club players will be paid?  My guess is as good as anyones.   What is to stop them getting generous expenses from their clubs.  I give it 10 years and 10 after that there'll be no GAA whatsoever but a poorly faring professional game.   I know the battle now is lost, and the decision will have to be observed, but let history remember and salute the bravery of those who opposed and may it not judge Uladh and the gang too harshly and call them w'''kers.   
Chief Wiggum

orangeman

Quote from: feetofflames on April 09, 2008, 01:14:49 PM
How long will it take before club players will be paid?  My guess is as good as anyones.   What is to stop them getting generous expenses from their clubs.  I give it 10 years and 10 after that there'll be no GAA whatsoever but a poorly faring professional game.   I know the battle now is lost, and the decision will have to be observed, but let history remember and salute the bravery of those who opposed and may it not judge Uladh and the gang too harshly and call them w'''kers.   

I hope you're wrong but somehow I think you're right - the strong clubs will be those who can pay the big "expenses" and the poorer clubs will simply cease to exist. I predict in 10 years time that there willbe no where near the 50 odd clubs in Tyrone that there are now.  :(