Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Come on the lads.

From Hoganstand.

Leinster junior final switched
15 June 2011

The 2011 Leinster JFC final between Cavan and Kildare has been switched to July 6th.

The rearrangement comes through mutual agreement by the two counties and following consultation with Leinster Council.

The provincial final will now take place on the Wednesday night at 7.30 pm in Newbridge.

Extra time will be played if necessary. If the teams are still level after extra time, the replay will be on July 13th.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

cavan4sam

Especially Maghera when you consider that lads that actually live there have been playing their football with Ramor, the Coles, the Monaghans, James McEnroe. If all those lads were playing with Maghera they would probably be a half decent team!!

PhilsJemmysField

So holy god Ballyhaise have that young lad McCrudden back at Full Forward. Also then it seems our Minors have no manners. I think we are back in the Nineteen Nineties

BigMac

Anyone got any inside information on team news for the weekend? It will be interesting to see if Terry and Val  stick with the youth or revert back to the older lads. it is a tough call in my opinion, the youth didn't do the business last day out, but the old boys haven't done the business for the last 5 years, but a bit of experience is hard to beat. I would expect to see Brennan and Dermot Sheridan in, provided both are fit, with Brennan replacing Cullivan and Sheridan replacing Carroll? Any other opinions?

tommysmith

Quote from: BigMac on June 21, 2011, 02:01:56 PM
Anyone got any inside information on team news for the weekend? It will be interesting to see if Terry and Val  stick with the youth or revert back to the older lads. it is a tough call in my opinion, the youth didn't do the business last day out, but the old boys haven't done the business for the last 5 years, but a bit of experience is hard to beat. I would expect to see Brennan and Dermot Sheridan in, provided both are fit, with Brennan replacing Cullivan and Sheridan replacing Carroll? Any other opinions?

I would like to see Gareth Smith in for Lyng and Mackey and Brennan starting or brought in early if things are not going right up front.  I think Brennan always gets hard done by when it come to championship and is worth his place on that team.  Also if Johnston is winning no ball inside/not trying he should be moved out to the half forward line to try get into the game more.

Denn Forever

Give the young lads a chance. 

Unfortunately the only experience the more senior players have is flattering to deceive.
means what he says...

Westside

Would the team not be announced until closer to the game because it's a qualifier?

I'd bring in McKeever and Brennan and maybe McEnroe if fit.. No more changes than that though. Longford will be very hard to beat and are way above us in the level of Championship performances they have reached. They have put up great battles against Kerry and Down and even beat Mayo last year. Barden and Kavanagh will be hard to contain..

tommysmith

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 21, 2011, 03:07:05 PM

Unfortunately the only experience the more senior players have is flattering to deceive.

They got their chance and to many off them were starting.

Time to get a little bit more experience into the team.

boojangles

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 21, 2011, 03:07:05 PM

Unfortunately this attitude is far too prevalent in Cavan at the moment, even among the management obviously.
There are some examples to back up the above statement DennForever but a sweeping generalisation of all our Senior players is wrong and ignores the facts.
Keith Fannin has been playing with Cavan since 2005. He played corner back on the Cavan team that took eventual All- Ireland winners Tyrone to a replay that year. If memory serves me well I believe he marked one Peter Canavan that day. He has played at corner back on numerous Championship teams since and IMO he has very rarely let Cavan down. He is 28 this year and pound for pound one of the best all round footballers in Cavan. He is versatile and can play in numerous positions. I believe he scored 1-5 last Wednesday for Drumgoon from Centre-Forward.

Mickey Brennan has played a grand total of 3 Championship games for Cavan. He was top scorer against Donegal after playing EIGHT minutes football. He was outstanding last year against Wicklow when moved out around the middle of the field and he was arguably Cavans best forward in his other championship appearance against Fermanagh last year, scoring 2 points in the first half before being replaced. ::) Mickey is 31 and time is not on his side but he is playing as well as ever and he was the difference between the 2 teams in Terry Coyle park on Saturday evening, scoring 1-4. Another man who can play in numerous positions.

Mark Mc Keever has been playing with Cavan since 2003. He is 27. He has been tried in many positions over the years but his best position for Cavan is at half back. A superb carrier of the ball who can ride a tackle brilliantly. He has struggled for form lately due to injuries but he has rarely let Cavan down on the big day and was very effective when introduced against Donegal.

I'm all for giving youth a chance but lets do it sensibly. If the management think that lads at 27 or 28 are too old then I may also hang up the boots. In truth these lads should only be peaking and have that priceless advantage of experience.
Saturday night is not going to be easy but it is a game we can win if we play our strongest team. Have Terry and Val stopped watching club football or were they ever watching it because some lads playing against Donegal do not even stand out playing for their clubs.

I don't think there will be many changes but heres the team I would go with.

1. Miller
2. Mc Enroe
3. Corr
4. Fannin
5. Mc Keever
6. Mc Cutcheon
7. Damien Reilly
8. Givney
9. Mc Kiernan
10. Keating
11. Lyng
12. Nesty
13. Mc Dermott
14. Johnston
15. Brennan

I don't like switching boys around too much but we need to do something with the Full-back line and IMO Keith Fannin is still our best option of a man marker. Let him pick Kavanagh up. If not him then I'd bring in Martin Cahill. Tomas Corr played the whole league at Full-Back and is the best option we have for Full Back IMO. A toss up between Dermot Sheridan and Mc Enroe for the other corner.
The half back line picks itself IMO. Mc Keever will know plenty of the Longford boys and will be eager to impress.
Mc Cutcheon and Damien Reilly did enough the last day to warrant selection again.
Givney and Mc Kiernan are the future but they have to work out a system of one man attacking and one man defending. Givney has the quickest hands I have ever seen but they are no use when he is soloing into 3 or 4 defenders.
I'm eating my own words but I think BH Man etc may be right about Keating. I seen him against Belturbet last week and he can do damage out around the middle with his strength alone. I also believe he destroyed Eamon Reilly against the Gaels on Saturday evening when moved to the 40. I would push Keating closer to the midfield to help out leaving room for Lyng and Nesty in the Half forward line.
Mickey Lyng deserves another chance IMO. Lots will disagree with me but I think he can come good.
Along with Lyng we need men who can pick out a pass and make sure our Full Forward line gets enough ball.
Mc Dermott was the best of the young lads the last day and was on a very tough customer. Would love to see him bring a right foot into his game as he has great strength and he knows where the goals are.
I don't think Longford have anybody who can mark Jelly if he gets good service. He needs to be disciplined and stay inside where he is dangerous.
Brennan can bring strength but also energy to the FF line. He always wants the ball and is playing with lots of confidence to put it on the scoreboard. Can switch with any of the midfielders or Keating if needs be and is the best long range free taker in the county( if given the chance).

Denn Forever

QuoteI'm all for giving youth a chance but lets do it sensibly.

Exactly and I when I hear we need experienced players, I ask myself what does that mean?  The McKenna Cup and League seem to have decided nothing.  Players seemed to have been picked on reputation and not on form.

Longford's best players are Bardon and Kavanagh.  What tactics need to be used to neutalise their effectiveness?  Kavanagh is going to stay close to the square so Full Back and Cornerback will have to work together.  Midfield will  have to work hard to stop the long ball to Kavanagh.  Who picks up Bardon?

Whatever happens I hope we give it a good rattle on Saturday.
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

I agree with what you say boojangles, only difference I would make is to leave Carroll at fb, I think we need to give him a chance to develop in the role. We need to beat longford to try and keep the heads up it we risk losing the psychological gains we made in the u21s.

rodney trotter

Paul Barden and kavanagh are two very good forwards, but its not just them two lads who can score, Francis Mc gee is a very good player as is Sean McCormack and Paddy Dowd all excellent forwards who are all comfortable on the ball. I agree about Mickey Brennan , he should have been starting the last day, strong player who can score and use the ball well. Mckeever should be starting this week aswell, better half back than damien reilly.. I'm surprised Declan Mckiernan hasn't been involved with Cavan this year, he didn't feature with cavan juniors either so maybe he isn't interested.. :-\

Dougal

id agree with ya on just about everything there boojangles.

according to the celt,james reilly,givney,nesty and fergal flanagan are all injured.with cullivan out aswell half the team could change from the last day.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Westside

Good post Booj.. Hard to disagree with any of that, balanced and fair analysis.

With Givney and Cullivan out Midfield options become short indeed. Lets hope Givney makes it. Brennan and McKiernan or Keating if not?

BigMac

Someone with something to do with the Celt is either reading this board, or reading my mind! I asked a wee while ago how many players we had used in championship football in the last 5 or 6 years and someone (can't remember who), gave me a list of all the teams used in the last 5 or 6 years. The Celt have gone a bit further and calculated it for 11 years, and in those 11 years we have used 67 players in chapionship football. Unbelievable statistic. If you counted league, and McKenna cup, we would be well over 100 players I'd imagine.
http://www.anglocelt.ie/sport/gaelicfootball/articles/2011/06/16/4004965-cavan-hand-out-debuts-to-67-players-in-11-seasons/