Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence of Knockbride

Maybe but then again maybe Cavan wanted a run-in of two games at home.
What was pretty lousy was agreeing to moving the Limerick game to 12:45 from 1:30. Every other game was at 2:30. So three hours to Limerick isn't bad enough but we have to go earlier.

Dougal

BHM,was just thinking that last week when i realised we had wexford away as the next game.we could well be as bad off as we are now had the games been split evenly,but the way it was done was a disgrace.

If lyng was bothered he'd be one of my top picks for captain,he can be a great player at times,but last year he didnt seem to bothered,hopefully thats changing this year.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

mylestheslasher

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on March 22, 2011, 01:21:50 PM
Heres one point that i do not believe was made.
The schedule of
4 away games and 1 home game in the first 5 is an absolute f**king disgrace.
I dont know what input if any the county board had in that,but its an absolute travesty.
It should be
1 home 1 away 1 home 1 away 1 home 1 away 1 away or vice versa.

There is a thread somewhere from way back where the GAA named the league fixtures for 2011 and I made that exact same point. I can't believe any county would be stupid enough to agree to these fixtures so I am presuming it was forced on us. It was probably forced so that Wexford and Limerick could play some double headers with the hurlers. I think it was a big disadvantage to Cavan myself.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Dougal on March 22, 2011, 01:33:22 PM
BHM,was just thinking that last week when i realised we had wexford away as the next game.we could well be as bad off as we are now had the games been split evenly,but the way it was done was a disgrace.

If lyng was bothered he'd be one of my top picks for captain,he can be a great player at times,but last year he didnt seem to bothered,hopefully thats changing this year.

I don't know the lad but I wonder how much of this was down to either frustrations with injury or management or both. A few years ago his attitude on the field was exceptional so I find it difficult to understand how he became a primadonna overnight? Lyng coming back to form could be one big positive from this league.

boojangles

Same old same old in this county. Dropping a lad for not committing because rag week is on and then asking them back in!
Sure Val you might as well wipe the whole slate clean and let the boys who couldn't commit before Christmas in now.
And we wonder why our young lads can't make the transition to Senior IC level.
We are where we are beacuse this shit has been allowed to happen for years and its still happening.

Westside

Quote from: boojangles on March 22, 2011, 06:16:57 PM
Same old same old in this county. Dropping a lad for not committing because rag week is on and then asking them back in!
Sure Val you might as well wipe the whole slate clean and let the boys who couldn't commit before Christmas in now.
We are where we are beacuse this shit has been allowed to happen for years and its still happening.

The full back?

whats my name

yea was the full back alright i don't believe he should of been dropped it was rag week one week in the year where young lads let there hair down i know in most cases that thats the only week these lads get to have a social life. and lets face it alot of them are back at training before Christmas well in cavans case anyway and are off the beer for at least 9-10 months of the year be it with county or club let the young lads live a little and enjoy themselves for a few days of the year thats what i say

Lawrence of Knockbride

Another positive note - Hyland at least knows what part of the problem is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOAckNJXatU

tommysmith

Quote from: whats my name on March 23, 2011, 12:18:20 AM
yea was the full back alright i don't believe he should of been dropped it was rag week one week in the year where young lads let there hair down i know in most cases that thats the only week these lads get to have a social life. and lets face it alot of them are back at training before Christmas well in cavans case anyway and are off the beer for at least 9-10 months of the year be it with county or club let the young lads live a little and enjoy themselves for a few days of the year thats what i say

I dont agree with that i dont think that would be accepted in many counties.  If a young lad is allowed drink for a few days in a row why not allow the lad who is 26/27 or anyone else on the panel.  Also rag weeks are in different colleges at different times so go on for 2/3 weeks.

When these lads went into county training they knew what was expected of them. 

Although it probaly would have been better to drop him for a game or two and let him train away with the panel than to handle it this way.

Westside

I can't agree with that whatsmyname.. Does anyone think Michael Murphy or Michael Dara McCauley took the week off for a bit of a blowout? Presumably was told he was going to be dropped if he didn't commit that particular week and went ahead and took Rag Week anyway.. What kind of commitment does that show to the cause? I don't mean anything personal against the lad, it's the drinking culture in Cavan I blame, but this was a chance for the management to lay down a marker for what was expected from our County Players from now on and they failed miserably..

The more things change the more they stay the same...

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: boojangles on March 22, 2011, 06:16:57 PM

Paddy Carroll of Ballinagh was brought back in then???

Nothing against the guy in particular, but Westside and Boojanges are on the ball here. You're either committed to the set-up 100%,and that means staying off the drink and maximising the effectiveness of the hard training that is being done during the week.
Carroll didnt want to go off to the booze because of rag week,obviously he isnt 100% committed and should not have been brought back in.

whats my name

getting off this point anyway what you reckon of our chances against donegal in the 21's will be interesting to see will hyland have learned from his mistakes last year this game will give a good indication of how good a manager he really is and has he learned from his mistakes last time out i wonder how will he set the team up to counteract the 13 men behind the ball tactic

Westside

Cavan are favourites tonight, 4/5 with Donegal 5/4. Very strange to have us as favourites against the defending Champions.. Does Paddy Power know something we don't!? Hopefully there'll be a good Cavan crowd in Brewster tonight and we can get revenge for last year.

Could the tacticians among us guess as to the best method Cavan could use to combat Donegal's swarming style of play?

tommysmith

Quote from: Westside on March 23, 2011, 12:48:21 PM
Cavan are favourites tonight, 4/5 with Donegal 5/4. Very strange to have us as favourites against the defending Champions.. Does Paddy Power know something we don't!? Hopefully there'll be a good Cavan crowd in Brewster tonight and we can get revenge for last year.

Could the tacticians among us guess as to the best method Cavan could use to combat Donegal's swarming style of play?

Fast direct ball into the full forward line no point in pussy footing around out the middle of the field and letting them filter back.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Westside on March 23, 2011, 12:48:21 PM

Paddy power knows donegal struggled to beat anytime while we easily beat fermanagh. That's about it.