Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

put-it-up

How about we all leave at the sametime and we will have a race? First one there get a free pint of each man ;D I'll be putting my 1.4l engine to the limit if ya's agree to it!

Why does Seanie always have an injury before every game? Is he that injury prone or does he jsut like the media attention? He can kick a point though  ;D

With regards to the minors yesterday I didn't make it down because of work. A always felt we were gonna struggle at midfield once we came up against a good team and I think that is what happened from what I hear. Also was informed there was one or two very average players involved but I don't like giving out about or praising minors to be honest. They are best left to get on with it. I presume that is the end of Mickey Graham's minor tenure. 3 wins from 6 games in 3 years of championship football. It's not bad but I am sure he will be disappointed not to have made a final as are we all considering we made it to two semi-finals in three years.

Any early guesses who will want to take over there?

mylestheslasher

Team to start in my humble opinion...

Fintan
Hannon       Corr           Brides
            Cahill     Flanagan
Gunner       McGuigan       McKeever
      Brennan   Shierdan   Galligan
                   Nesty
  Johnston               Mackey   

Obviously it is all hands to the defence. Pack the midfield and try and hold onto the ball until Nesty can find Johnston and Mackey in space. Then we need Gunner and Mckeever getting forward to support. Our FB line will need loads of protection from the danger men in the Cork FF line hence two sweepers. Cavan are going to have to make a dog fight out of this the same way as Sligo did to Kerry last year. I am hopeful the lads can build on the performance last week and put up a decent show here.

put-it-up

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 05, 2010, 09:34:55 PM
Team to start in my humble opinion...

Fintan
Hannon       Corr           Brides
            Cahill     Flanagan
Gunner       McGuigan       McKeever
      Brennan   Shierdan   Galligan
                   Nesty
  Johnston               Mackey   

Obviously it is all hands to the defence. Pack the midfield and try and hold onto the ball until Nesty can find Johnston and Mackey in space. Then we need Gunner and Mckeever getting forward to support. Our FB line will need loads of protection from the danger men in the Cork FF line hence two sweepers. Cavan are going to have to make a dog fight out of this the same way as Sligo did to Kerry last year. I am hopeful the lads can build on the performance last week and put up a decent show here.

Myles you are not genuinely suggesting that we start Corr again are you?

Obviously we are going to have to mind the house, but at the same time if we try to sit back and shut up shop and play like someone like Fermanagh we will lose by ten points anyway because Cork will pick us off and if we play like that we will be lucky to score 0-8 points. We dont have the players to play that kind of way and Neither do I think Carr will inspire them to become that kind of player over night nor do I think training would have been geared to playing like that. It is not TC's way and it certainly isn't Cavan's way.

Plus if we drop off like that, Cork will sit one or two infront of Johnston and Mackey and we will score F all.  Jelly and Mackey need good diagonal ball into them to latch onto and I don't for one second think Cork are going to let us do that. For that reason we might need Brennan's frame closer to goal but by Jaysus we are short midfield.

I think we should go with one sweeper and then ask our lads to each get their man and work their socks off to win their own battle. Playing two sweepers tells your players you don't trust them to stay with their men and measure up to them. The workrate that we had against Wicklow will be the minimum we require to keep it respectable and whether the desire will be there I am not sure. I hope I am wrong but I have a horrible feeling in my gut that Wicklow performance was a flash in the pan...

Also Myles you have left McCutcheon out ?!?

Lawrence of Knockbride

Maybe Myles is trying to guess TC's team rather than his own?? Corr at FB would be madness but I wouldn't be surprised if he was there. And I assume the  ommission of McCutcheon is mistake. I also wouldn't be happy with the Gunner starting considering his input to the panel.
As for the route to Cork, I don't have a clue but I'd have thought the route planner would've taken most things into consideration and wouldn't exaggerate one route and not the other. Anyway PIU I'll be on for a pint. I'll be the boy in the blue jersey.

mylestheslasher

Jaysus, I did leave McCutcheon out. There is a hard call to make in there, it could mean McGuigan being dropped.

Problem with Corr is that TC has not tried anyone else out at FB - is it wise to start trying a new FB now?

I suppose Hannon or Shieridan could go in there but you know we need to try and develop a FB and punishing Corr for a bad game is not the answer either.

Cork were run very very close by Limerick playing a system like I outlined, if we frustrate them and try and hit them with a running game on the break I think is our best chance. Leave our defence exposed and we'll get an awful hammering.

Dougal

corrs had more than one bad game this year,id still prefare sheridan than him.that would also mean (for myles' team) you could put sheridan full back and bring in mccutcheon.i dont think we'd be fit to play well using that kind of a system,it takes more than 2 weeks to implement a system like that.

will mackey and johnston gel in the full forward line??they didnt work well together against fermanagh.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

sams the aim

put it up maybe get ur facts rite first tommy carr said sumit about his ankle not himself. more cavan fans abuse, and to the minors picking out players is terrible, armagh no 11 taken off by d way,all the cavan team gave it their all

put-it-up

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 05, 2010, 10:03:02 PM
Jaysus, I did leave McCutcheon out. There is a hard call to make in there, it could mean McGuigan being dropped.

Problem with Corr is that TC has not tried anyone else out at FB - is it wise to start trying a new FB now?

I suppose Hannon or Shieridan could go in there but you know we need to try and develop a FB and punishing Corr for a bad game is not the answer either.

Cork were run very very close by Limerick playing a system like I outlined, if we frustrate them and try and hit them with a running game on the break I think is our best chance. Leave our defence exposed and we'll get an awful hammering.

He wasn't great against Fermanagh either. There really is feck all other options I suppose but I would be quite confident with Hannon or Sheridan there. Cork don't play with a big target man do they? And no harm to him Myles I know we all want to develop a new Full-Back but judging from what I have seen he is not our long-term solutuon although I understand Full-back is a spot you get better at the more you play there.

Myles, I fully acknowlege it is going to take a huge defensive effort but I think if we have too many lads back it lets lads hide and not take full responsibility. With 6 backs + the sweeper every man has his responsiblitily and when that men gets away from him it is up to the sweeper or someone else to make up the ground and help out. I just dont believe that more defenders necessarily means a better defence if you get me?

Work-rate is going to be far more important. You can have all the lads back in the world but if there not working hard and just sitting in space- then they may aswell sit down on the field and say I'll look after this area. Plus, I would rather be pressuring Cork's midfield area to prevent the delivery of quality ball. To do that we need lads in and arond the Cork Half-backl line, working there asses off there rather than crowding space in my opinion. If we try to crowd the defence, Cork will play the running game and pull us apart i think.

put-it-up

Quote from: sams the aim on July 05, 2010, 10:32:14 PM
put it up maybe get ur facts rite first tommy carr said sumit about his ankle not himself. more cavan fans abuse, and to the minors picking out players is terrible, armagh no 11 taken off by d way,all the cavan team gave it their all

Firstly Sam's the aim maybe learn some punctuation.

Secondly, ponder on this question for a second my good friend. Who do you think told Tommy he had a sore ankle?

And, while I am at it, maybe you should get your facts right. I didn't give Seanie any abuse, I asked a question. I have nothing but respect for him as a player and as an athlete - I just noticed he always seems to carry some knock before a big-game. That is a fact.

sams the aim

God knows who told tommy he did, are u a 100% sure that thats the case?Came back from a serious serious injury too soon i might add just to play for his county and all you see is the bad points. there is a fact

full moon

I think you hit a nerve with another in the closet Gaels man, put it up. Wouldn't mind, I've rarely seen a player get full on criticism never mind abuse fron anyone here. Bar me, I like to stick the knife in.  So that point is null and void.

Terry Coyle

Quote from: put-it-up on July 05, 2010, 10:39:36 PM
Quote from: sams the aim on July 05, 2010, 10:32:14 PM

Firstly Sam's the aim maybe learn some punctuation.

Secondly, ponder on this question for a second my good friend. Who do you think told Tommy he had a sore ankle?

And, while I am at it, maybe you should get your facts right. I didn't give Seanie any abuse, I asked a question. I have nothing but respect for him as a player and as an athlete - I just noticed he always seems to carry some knock before a big-game. That is a fact.

Goes to show what a player he is when he has a knock and can still do what he did against Wicklow.

Terry Coyle

Quote from: full moon on July 06, 2010, 12:44:15 PM
I think you hit a nerve with another in the closet Gaels man, put it up. Wouldn't mind, I've rarely seen a player get full on criticism never mind abuse fron anyone here. Bar me, I like to stick the knife in.  So that point is null and void.

Who is the other in closet Gaels man then? Must meet him for a pint!

Mr. Pain

No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

Lawrence of Knockbride

.........the biggest blockbuster of the summer. I can sense some boys being put in their boxes soon.