Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglocelt39

BT D'Alton Cup final

St Patrick's Cavan 3-9 Abbey Newry 0-4

St Patrick's Cavan will be celebrating a first ever BT D'Alton Cup title for a while after seeing off the challenge of Abbey CBS in the final in Pearse Og grounds Armagh yesterday afternoon.

After running up big scores in the lead up to the final, defences took over and there was little to seperate the sides after 20 minutes, Cavan ahead by 0-2 to a single from Ryan Treanor.

However the Breffni boys conjured up a 21st minute goal for Ben Conaty and quickly added two Ryan Connolly points to open up a gap that Abbey struggled to close.

Cavan led by 1-5 to 0-1 at the break, but Abbey hit back on the re-start with 3 points in succession. It closed the gap, but Ryan Connolly struck a goal and this helped Cavan regain control.

Ronan O'Reilly added a third Cavan goal and substitute Donovan McCaffrey struck two points in the final 10 minutes to confirm an historic victory for St Patrick's.

St Patrick's Cavan : Mark Fegan, Glen Brady, Jason Rahill, Declan Lunney, Cian McManus, Thomas Galligan, Paul Sexton, Colin McCabe, Matthew McKenna 0-1, Ronan O'Reilly 1-2, Ryan Connolly 1-4, Pierce Smith, Brian Sheanon, Ben Conaty 1-0, Darragh Gannon.
Sub : Donovan McCaffrey 0-2 for B Sheanon.

Abbey : Aaron Campbell, John Catterson, Fergus Quinn, Thomas Looney, Cathair McKinney, Shea Gregory, Luke Byrne, Sheagh Dobbin 0-1, Conor McCoy, Joe Rock, Ryan Treanor 0-3, Ruairi Campbell, Niall Rafferty, Shane Fitzpatrick, Ronan McGrath.
Subs : Cillian Burns for N Rafferty, Gavin Fox for S Fitzpatrick, Emmet Irwin for R McGrath
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

anglocelt39

delighted. not that it takes much to please me these days. still, a half decent performance from our under 21's as well would give you a small bit to be cheerful about. no reason why our seniors could not string a few wins together this summer if we take the correct attitude to things rather than going on auto pilot come the qualifiers. heres hoping
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Western Blue

Looking forward to going up to Belmullet on Sat evening to see how the present Cavan squad measure up to the Mayo lads in particular the midfield dual between McGarrity/O'Shea against Giveny/Galligan  or Mulvey. Also how our backline handle Aidan O'Shea and Conor Mortimer?

Could Seanie Johnston make an appearance in this game?

Denn Forever

Well done St Pats.

I don't think we are at a disadvantage to other schools as the competition as I remember was that  Dalton was U14, Corn na Nog U15, Rannafast U16 and McRory U18 and a half.

It is brilliant that they won it this year as in other years when it was a boarding school they would have a much wider pick e.g. East Cavan (Kingscourt, Bailiboro), West Cavan (Glangevlin, Bawnboy) Lietrim and Monaghan.  So well done to all concerned.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Celt_Man

Imperial Bar A.C.F.L. Division 1 Round 6
Ramor Utd 1.06 Mullahoran 1.14
Crosserlough 0.08 Gowna 0.10
Ballinagh 2.15 Castlerahan 1.08
Lacken 0.12 Cavan Gaels 0.10
Denn 1.12 Redhills 1.09
Lavey 1.09 Belturbet 0.12
Kingscourt 1.16 Killeshandra 2.08

John Brady Insurances Ltd A.C.F.L. Division 2 Round 6
Cavan Gaels 1.11 Drung 0.08
Ballyhaise 0.14 Killinkere 0.06
Drumgoon 0.05 Shercock 0.09
Butlersbridge 0.08 Kill 2.04
Bailieboro 1.11 Cootehill 0.07
Drumlane 1.09 Knockbride 0.08

Kiernan Service Stations A.C.F.L. Division 3 Round 6
Mountnugent 0.14 Laragh Utd 1.08
Cornafean 1.15 Maghera 1.07

A.C.F.L. Reserve Division 3 Round 5
Killinkere 3.04 Swanlinbar 1.13
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Celt_Man on May 15, 2010, 09:24:06 PM
Denn 1.12 Redhills 1.09

Ballyhaise Killinkere result is wrong
Ballyhaise 0-14 2-06 Killinkere is the correct score.

Celt_Man

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on May 15, 2010, 09:27:36 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on May 15, 2010, 09:24:06 PM
Denn 1.12 Redhills 1.09

Ballyhaise Killinkere result is wrong
Ballyhaise 0-14 2-06 Killinkere is the correct score.

Aye thought that alright.  Bailieboro were 1 - 12 not 1 - 11  >:(

Western Blue

Just back from wild,wet and windy Belmullet this evening. Match Result Mayo 0.11...Cavan 0.4. Never mind the result as Cavan actually played very well  and competed with a full strength Mayo side till both managers made the usual emptying  out the bench midway through the 2nd half. In particular the fullback line and half back line were as a defense unit were excellent and snuffed out the Mayo forwards.Mossy got the better of Aidan O'Shea and Martin Cahill had a great tussle with C.Mortimer.Dermot Sheridan and Paul Brady both had good games . Galligan and Cullivan were our midfielders on the evening  and worked hard. We lost because we could not handle the gale force wind with the result we were over hitting passes,kicked at least 7 wides in the first half and into the keepers hands . Out of our 4 scores one point came from play courtesy of Cian Mackey.
All in all it was a good work out for the team in terrible conditions. We were just as fit as Mayo and team work was excellent.  On the minus side  the final ball into the forward line was poor.

Fintan Reilly

Dermot Sheridan   Mossy Corr  Martin Cahill
Paul Brady          Eoin McGuigan  John McCutcheon

CIARAN GALLIGAN......RAY CULLIVAN

D O'Dowd     Nesty Smith  Mark McKeever
Cian Mackey  Declan Mc Kiernan  Philip Brady

Flanagan was togged out but seemed to pull a muscle in the warm-up.  McKiernan went off with what looked like a hamstring  injury. Hope both will be OK for the Fermanagh game

put-it-up

Lads how has Phillip Brady found his way into the senior setup?

put-it-up

I know none of the new rules were in action at our club game over the weekend.. anybody witness them?

jimjim

Report from MayoNews.ie

Cavan fail to challenge Mayo

Senior football challenge
Mayo 0-13
Cavan 0-4

Mike Finnerty
Belmullet

THE MAYO senior football squad continued their preparations ahead of the upcoming Connacht championship with a facile nine point victory over a very disappointing Cavan in Saturday evening's challenge game at Belmullet GAA club's impressive, windswept, new €1.8m development.
John O'Mahony used the game to run the rule over 27 of his 30-man championship panel but will have learnt very little from a one-sided game which resembled a mediocre FBD League encounter.
Keith Higgins (rested after lining out the county hurlers earlier in the day), Trevor Mortimer (carrying a slight knock) and Alan Feeney (ankle injury) were the only Mayo players not to feature at some stage.
Tommy Carr's Cavan really failed to turn up and managed to score just one point from play in the entire 70 minutes. How they could have done with the injured Seanie Johnston, who was conspicuous by his absence, but on this evidence they have a lot of work to do before facing Fermanagh in the Ulster championship in four weeks time.
Mayo did what they had to do. Starting with ten of the side that started the National League Final against Cork, John O'Mahony used this match to give Peadar Gardiner and Tom Cunniffe run-outs for 35 minutes at numbers 5 and 6 respectively, and also took a look at Pat Harte and Billy Padden in the half-forward line.
Padden, playing on home soil, played the full 70 minutes, as did his club-mate Chris Barrett and Ger Cafferkey.
Despite playing against the crossfield wind in the first half, Mayo led at half-time by 0-6 to 0-2 as Conor Mortimer scored three frees, the very effective Enda Varley kicked two points from play, and Aidan O'Shea added another.
It took Cavan 33 minutes to register their first score, a free from Cian Mackey, and things didn't improve much for them in the second half.
Mayo built on their advantage through points from subs Andy Moran, Mark Ronaldson and Barry Moran, who again looked a real threat at full-forward after coming on to replace Aidan O'Shea.
Cavan never looked like making a game of it and Mayo indulged in some shooting practice late on as Aidan Kilcoyne fired over a free and Neil Douglas grabbed two points from play.
Kilcoyne also saw Mayo's only clear-cut goal chance well saved by Cavan goalkeeper Fintan Reilly as the game petered out. The winners also clocked up twelve wides as things got a little ragged in the closing stages.
Mayo's next challenge match comes against Dublin next Friday evening in Hollymount, and hopefully it will be a much better work-out ahead of that date with Sligo in three weeks time (June 5).

Mayo
D Clarke; C Barrett, G Cafferkey, T Howley; P Gardiner, T Cunniffe, K McLoughlin; T Parsons, S O'Shea; P Harte, BJ Padden, A Dillon; E Varley (0-2), A O'Shea (0-1), C Mortimer (0-3, 3fs).
Subs used: L O'Malley for Gardiner (ht); A Moran (0-2) for Dillon (ht); R McGarrity for Harte (ht); A Freeman for Mortimer (ht); M Ronaldson (0-1) for Varley (45 mins); B Moran (0-1) for A O'Shea (45 mins); D Vaughan for Cunniffe (45 mins); A Kilcoyne (0-1, 1f) for O'Shea (45 mins); K Conroy for McLoughlin (48 mins); N Douglas (0-2) for Freeman (48 mins, inj); S Nally for Howley (55 mins); K O'Malley for Clarke (55 mins); K McLoughlin for O'Malley (inj).

Cavan
F Reilly; D Sheridan, T Corr, M Cahill; P Brady, E McGuigan, J McCutcheon; C Galligan, R Cullivan; D O'Dowd, G Smith, M McKeever; C Mackey (0-3, 2fs), D McKiernan, P Brady.
Subs used: A Clarke for O'Dowd; R Galligan (0-1, 1f) for P Brady; M Johnston for McCutcheon; N Walsh for Cullivan; M Brides for P Brady; M Hannon for McKeever; E Smith for Corr.

Referee: D Hunt (Roscommon)

Celt_Man

Quote from: put-it-up on May 17, 2010, 10:35:54 AM
I know none of the new rules were in action at our club game over the weekend.. anybody witness them?
I thought it was amazing that Packie Smith just decided to not play the new rules as in his own words he hadn't had a chance to look at them yet!!!  Wouldn't mind we then missed a penalty from 13m in the first minute >:( >:(
Then the fooker was in a hurry to get away and only played a minute of injury time in the second half... I could have flatten him >:(

put-it-up

Quote from: Celt_Man on May 17, 2010, 11:51:13 AM
I thought it was amazing that Packie Smith just decided to not play the new rules as in his own words he hadn't had a chance to look at them yet!!!  Wouldn't mind we then missed a penalty from 13m in the first minute >:( >:(
Then the fooker was in a hurry to get away and only played a minute of injury time in the second half... I could have flatten him >:(

Haha, poor Packie hadn't a clue what was goin on. You didn't get a penatly did you CM?

I think these new rules will cause a bit of bother locally. Like imagine the uproar when a goal is disallowed for being an old style fist pass! I would say a few Ballinagh fans could potentially get angry at a ref ;) Most refs will just play away I would say

Celt_Man

Quote from: put-it-up on May 17, 2010, 12:08:26 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on May 17, 2010, 11:51:13 AM

Haha, poor Packie hadn't a clue what was goin on. You didn't get a penatly did you CM?

I think these new rules will cause a bit of bother locally. Like imagine the uproar when a goal is disallowed for being an old style fist pass! I would say a few Ballinagh fans could potentially get angry at a ref ;) Most refs will just play away I would say
Aye we got a penalty after 40 seconds or so but have it saved and somehow managed to miss the rebound too... That really came back to haunt us

put-it-up

Was this in the game against Bboro CM>>>Have I lost my marbles??