Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Interesting team,i must say.

McCabe,Brennan midfield is one i like.
The Tussle between McCabe and Seamus O Neil should be worth the admission alone.

Flanagan ahead of Cunningham is suprising,wouldnt be suprised to see Flanagan drop back in between the Half back and full back line if Big Karl Mannion is full forward with Gallagher moving out to wing forward.

Not confident in Forde at full back, but we've done that to death,so il leave it at that.
Fannin at his more natural position aswell.

As Hollowman said
That is one of the strongest benches Cavan have had in id say 10 years.
Lots of players who can make an impact when brought on.

mylestheslasher

Like most, I am a bit bemused by the omission of Pierson. I think our FF line has been medicore so far this year and hasn't sparked into life yet. In fact none of our FF line to date have been taking their men on at all. Saying that Pierson is still the best of them.  Maybe there is something going on behind the scenes or maybe they are trying to throw Ros and Pierson will start in the end. Brennan is really the only other option we have left but I do fear for us in the middle. Walshe would have been a great assest at spoliing ball on O Neill. My other fears are the continued hype about croke park appearances. Personally, I find it a little embarassing that a county with our history is getting so worked up about a trip to croke park for a Div2 semi final. While I'd love to see a big turn out like in the good old days, lets not loose the run of ourselves. The game is what it is a Div 2 Semi. I don't recall Leitrim going mad when they got there either. I remember cringing when Monaghan invaded the pitch when they fluked a win in the final 2 yrs ago - please god let us not go down that road too!! Secondly, I fear that the players will start buying into this hype and start thinking that the job is half done by just being in Croke park. If that attitude is allowed to seep in we will be  getting a good beating on saturday and set back all our momentum and progress.

In any case I am going to make the long trip to Dublin on Sat from Sligo and back again the same night and hopefully we'll up the tempo a bit and get a good performance and result.

Onlooker

I would not knock any Cavan player or fan for looking forward to playing in Croke Park and it is still an achievement for any Non Leinster county to get there and play there as often as they can, but it is very important, having got there, to play well.  Croke Park is the real test for any footballer.  Having seen Cavan play earlier in the league, I think they can win on Saturday.  It will not be easy, but a final against either Meath or Monaghan would be very interesting.

anglocelt39

Myles, I'm glad to hear you're making the trek from the northwest, some of us will be matching you for miles. RTE radio last night reckoned there are about 10k tickets sold in Cavan so far which is good, hope we get 30k in the ground and a bit of athmosphere.

Haise man, do you think we will be able to afford the luxury of Flanagan dropping back in front of Forde? I think first priority will be all shoulders to the wheel out around the middle to stop us getting swamped there (again). Don't know much about the Rossies, but assuming they're a bit ahead of the likes of Antrim and Waterford, you would have to reckon they won't fail to take advantage if they get to dominate midfield.

So it's all down to the middle third, if we could get even 40% of what's going there and get some good ball in, we can win this one.

As for the rest of the season, just in case I was going to lose the run of myself with optimism, I met a Waterford football selector yesterday. His one comment-just about the smallest inter-county team he has come across, some nice footballers mind. Faint praise but sure we all know that, just a bit sobering to be reminded of it
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

trim blue

Don't think the players will be buying into the hype of playing in Croker, they are there on merit but will know they haven't being playing well so will have nothing to be complacent about. After last year it was a big thing to get promoted this year so having achieved that the players should play with a bit more freedom cos anything they achieve now is a bonus. If we lose and don't perform it will be down to the obvious faultlines in this team which we have discussed on here before. Grimley's experience of big games in Croker should be a help in preparations too. Given the size of the pitch I think we will see Pierson, Lyng, Cunningham and maybe Larry all coming in (depending on injuries). Not unhappy about Brennan in midfield as he is strong and mobile, but Walsh would have been a better option if fit. The relative fitness of both teams will be important with Roscommon probably having the edge here.
ah sure tog out anyway

Hollow Man

QuotePersonally, I find it a little embarassing that a county with our history is getting so worked up about a trip to croke park for a Div2 semi final.

No offence but I completely disagree.

I think this attitude of "a county with our history" is the embarrassing part here. We've been among the worst 8-10 teams in the country over the last thirty years.

At senior, we have won one Ulster title in 38 years, at minor we've one Ulster in 35 years and at Under 21 we've two Ulster titles in 40 odd years. This is a record comparable to Fermanagh or Antrim, who have actually had more success at underage.

We also haven't won a league title of any description since Moses wore short trousers.

Any trip to Croke Park is not to be sniffed at. Your statement just defies belief in my opinion (again, not an attack here, just something that really annoys me - we have no divine right to compete, the likes of Tyrone have been laughing at us living off stuff we won in the 50's and 60's for years.)

jaykay

Lads, I'm posting this for 2 reasons:

1. To try and get ye off page 52 (hence the spaces)  :P

2. To say I'm looking forward to the game on Saturday evening.  It's a great chance for counties like ourselves to have a night out under the lights.  I wouldn't pass any heed on some of the muppets slaggin' ye for not having played in Croke Park in so long.  I'd rather not be there than be on the receicing end of some of the beatings Mayo got in those last 10 years.  Chances are ye'll be there for 70 mins on Saturday not 35 like some of the Mayo "faithfull" were last September.  

Hopefully we'll have as good a game as the last time we meet in Mullingar, obviously with a different result though.

Anyway, enjoy the game and the craic before and after.

BTW fishead, the Rossies dont post much here because we have our own discussion board.  Ooh, and while I'm at it Balla is about 5 miles east of the border, look at a map ya muppet!

jaykay

Quote from: jaykay on April 20, 2007, 10:43:28 AM
Lads, I'm posting this for 2 reasons:

1. To try and get ye off page 52 (hence the spaces)  :P

I guess I'm a slow typer

cavanmaniac

Thanks Jay Kay, I was actually hoping someone would move us off page '52.

It's been our problem over the last few generations of footballers to still have our mindset stuck in the successes and glories of 1952 and  before. Wanting to stay in page 52 was symbolic of this mnidset, but moving off it now shows how we are striding forward to a bold new future and, er, page 53 and beyond.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it anyway. :P

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Hollow Man on April 20, 2007, 10:31:44 AM
QuotePersonally, I find it a little embarassing that a county with our history is getting so worked up about a trip to croke park for a Div2 semi final.

No offence but I completely disagree.

I think this attitude of "a county with our history" is the embarrassing part here. We've been among the worst 8-10 teams in the country over the last thirty years.

At senior, we have won one Ulster title in 38 years, at minor we've one Ulster in 35 years and at Under 21 we've two Ulster titles in 40 odd years. This is a record comparable to Fermanagh or Antrim, who have actually had more success at underage.

We also haven't won a league title of any description since Moses wore short trousers.

Any trip to Croke Park is not to be sniffed at. Your statement just defies belief in my opinion (again, not an attack here, just something that really annoys me - we have no divine right to compete, the likes of Tyrone have been laughing at us living off stuff we won in the 50's and 60's for years.)

I am well aware of the poor record we have in recent times. I am glad that the team have got a chance to play in croke park finally. This chance has come about  out of "generosity" from the Croke park authorities as the expected attendance would probably not be enough to warrant it being played in croker under normal circumstances. We did get to a Div 1 league final not to long ago that would have been played there but for renovations. We are not in the bottom 8-10 teams in the country in my opinion if we are talking about the skill of some of our players. What irks me is that some people think by getting to croke park we have acheived something substantial. Well we haven't and if anyone thinks we have then that is a sad state of affairs. We are in a league D2 semi final. If we lose or win no one will remember in a couple of years. If we get to the final and win then we have something to get a bit excited about. I say we need to set our sights higher and treat this as a stepping stone on our way to greater things in the next few years. I will support and cheer the team on as always but I won't be coming on here declaring our great achievement of making it to croke park.

shotstopper1

In my opinion this whole thing about playing in Croke Park is getting out of hand.Yes it's great for the team to get the chance to play in Croker for the experience alone, but at the end of the day it's a Div 2 semi final, let's not get carried away.As Myles says it a stepping stone and a bonus to be in Croker.
It's not too long ago that we played the Rossies in a Div 1 semi in Mullingar.There was a time when getting to Croker meant you were either in an AI semi or final, or the National League final, in those cases there would be something to shout about.Sure nowadays most Leinster Championship games are played there,games in the Rackard,Ring and Murphy Cups have being played there, as have Ulster Championship games.
The first objective of this management team was promotion which they achieved,it would be good to get two more competitive victories under their belt before the Down game (as one of only 3 undefeated teams in the league ,why not?),but if they don't, it won't be the end of the world.

Quote from Cavan4ever
Quoteyeah i looked up the TG4 Schedule and the games aren't there.Hopefully it will encourage more people to go cos i know quiet a few lazy fcukers who weren't going to go. 

Were you as eager to get them same lazy fcukers into Breffni or Casement or Navan etc.? If the game was anywhere else other than Croker would you be as eager to get them to go?

shotstopper1

We could've done without this

From Hogan Stand

Brady admits dual toll

Paul Brady
20 April 2007

Cavan dual star Paul Brady has admitted that his days playing both handball and football at the highest level may be coming to an end.

Brady will compete in the All-Ireland 40x20 senior doubles final in Limerick at 12 noon (tomorrow) before heading to Croke Park to play for Cavan against Roscommon in the NFL Division Two semi-final at Croke Park (7.45pm).

"It's a bit of a disaster but, sure, it has to be done," said the Mullahoran clubman.

"I just don't think about it too much because if you did, you'd fry your brain.

"To me it is normal to play either handball or football every Friday, Saturday and Sunday, but it has been a bit hectic.

"At 27, the body's beginning to feel it more and more, so I probably won't be able to do it for much longer."

The Bottom Brick

QuoteWe are not in the bottom 8-10 teams in the country in my opinion if we are talking about the skill of some of our players

I agree with Hollow, in terms of results over the 60's/70's/80's/90's we ARE in the bottom 10 for definite.

Brady's playing in the senior doubles all ireland final in Cappagh, Co Limerick on saturday morning at 12. He should make it back up in about 21/2 or 3 hours.

He'll be OK though, they are playing Mayo and should win it easily enough
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

trim blue

Brady made it known earlier in the year that this was his last year for now to be playing with Cavan cos of his handball committments, he's probably only playing this year cos Keoghan's his cousin. Will be a big loss to us..
ah sure tog out anyway

BallyhaiseMan

Gunner is a ridiculously gifted athlete to be able to play both at such a high level on the same day.
what a miss he will be be from next year on.
The Trip to Croke Park is hopefully the first of many to the Jones Road venue over the next few years  ;)