Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trim blue

Yeh Fallon worked in the Bank and was only a young lad at the time, still when you saw him in '96 & '97 you wouldn't think he was the same player, I suppose it shows you need to give players a chance to develop and not just give them a go for a couple of games
ah sure tog out anyway

shotstopper1

The Celt has being no great shakes for years , but sure we got by.Since the Scottish Dunferline Press group took it over in 2004 it has rapidly gone downhill.The amount of times pictures or articles are being duplicated in each edition is unreal, and now it seems they're even duplicating articles from previous issues.Also I feel as if the Celt has being pulling the wool over our eyes for years.Why sell a local paper for €1.85??(I think thats the price now as they keep changing it so often),and then bring out a free paper with local news, surely it could all be put in the one paper (maybe this is the reason for the duplications).

BTW fair play to Peter Quinn and his buddies for giving us the makings of a very good paper in the Cavan Echo, keep up the good work.

cavanmaniac

If the response from the Celt to the Echo has been to lower standards rather than raise them, then I genuinely fear for its future. If there's no concept of the threat they're facing they'll be in trouble fairly soon. Too content to trade on their monopoly in the market for far too long, it seems they lack the initiative to turn it around now.
Although you'd have to think they'd shake themselves and do something before too long.

Hollow Man

First time caller, long time listener!

Interesting topic here, what would people actually want to read in the likes of the Celt?

Local match reports are high on the agenda for me, as well as opinion and most importantly, everything must be well written!!

What does everyone else think?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: The Bottom Brick on April 11, 2007, 06:56:47 PM
So, Cavan only won by six points according to this week's Celt, and are now promoted to Division 2A, which actually won't exist.

Ho hum as right  ;D

I was trying to read the report from the wexford game in the celt last week. The 2nd half of the report was in the paper on two pages (each page being exactly the same as the other). The 1st half of the report I couldn't find anywhere in the paper. Then I was reading Owen mcConnon who was saying that Meath were as good a promoted as Wexford would have to beat them by more than 15 points. With the celt it will take no more than 2 minutes to find glaring mistakes and I can only assume that the editor doesn't bother proof read!!!

trim blue

At this stage the Celt is getting by on the fact that it is an institution and people just buy it out of habit. The mistakes in the sports section alone are disgraceful and speak volumes for the shoddy, lazy journalism it peddles. The type of mistakes mentioned today are as a result of at least 2 people not doing their job, the sportswriter and the sports editor. I hope the Echo gives them a good kick up the arse and they start thinking creatively about what they are doing, I mean why cant they do profile pieces on the county team, proper interviews with players, management, maybe an archive piece with pictures of previous championship matches, great players from the past, they have it all at their fingertips, a piece on the Down/Cavan rivalry in the '60s would make for graet reading coming up to the game in May.
ah sure tog out anyway

KIDDO

Cavan Gaels defeated Belcoo 5.13, to 0.7 ,in round 1 0f the 2007  Paul Mcgirr  memorial trophey  competition  for 2006 ui6 county juvinile champions , at Gardrum ParkDromore , tonight April 12, with the game refereed by top whistler MartinSludden , who is also the referee for next Sats ULSTER U21final inOmagh.

BallyhaiseMan

Results from the weekend so far

Division One
Drumalee 1-11 Lacken 0-11
Belturbet 0-10 Gowna 2-11
Cuchullains 1-09 Cavan Gaels 2-10
Denn 1-13 Crosserlough 2-14
Mullahoran 0-07 Castlerahan 2-09
Ballyhaise 0-11 Drumlane 1-09    :-[

Division Two
Knockbride 2-09 Shercock 2-09
Drumgoon 2-14 Killygarry 1-06
Ballymachugh 1-06 Ramor Utd 2-11
Redhills 2-10 Killinkere 2-07

Division Three
Killdallan 0-15 Mountnugent 1-05
Arva 1-11 Shannon Gaels 2-11
Corlough 1-05 Killeshandra 0-14

Division Four
Cuchullains 1-10 Cavan Gaels 2-03
Ballyhaise 2-08 Drumlane 1-06   :)
Mullahoran 2-07 Castlerahan 0-02
Denn 2-11 Crosserlough 0-12

Division Five
Redhills 1-05 Killinkere 2-20
Drung 2-14 Laragh 1-11
Drumgoon 0-05 Killygarry 5-09
Knockbride 0-09 Shercock 3-06

Division Six
Arva 1-10  Shannon Gaels 1-08
Corlough 0-10  Killeshandra 4-07

Verbal Kint

Long time reader, first time poster!
Hopefully results go our way today and we will be in Croker next week-only county in Ireland not to have played in the new Croke Park!!!

cavanmaniac

Roscommon next up for us in Croker then so...roll on Saturday, it's about time we got a game there at long last. Thank God the nightmare scenario was avoided in Division 2A today.

Hopefully we'll put in a decent enough display, another game before we meet Down would be great.

Hollow Man

Brilliant, although it's not confirmed yet which is worrying because they could decided not to hold it in Croker owing to the poor crowd today...

I think we'll take Ros too by the way, although they will be on a high after their escape act today.

By the way, read this on hogan stand message board, taken from the Cavan Echo I think...

Not too often you get something decent to read on hogan stand!

13/04/2007

The Bottom Line spoke last week about the attitude problem among Cavan supporters. Evidently, no-one was listening. The talk among the 150 or so diehards who made the trek to Waterford (the other 15,000 or so who will be looking for tickets on May 13 were obviously busy) was downbeat.
Here are the facts. We're unbeaten in seven while not even playing at 60 per cent of what we know we can. The management are still tinkering with players and positions. We drew with Wexford who subsequently hammered Meath - is there a formline here, or did Paul Bealin's men become brilliant in the space of seven days?
The harsh reality is that Cavan have been whipping boys for 30 odd years and the frustrating thing is this: when we do get it together, go unbeaten in seven matches and top a group with Meath and the 2005 Division One finalists Wexford in it, all a lot of Cavan supporters can do is complain and say "we're brutal, we were lucky, we'll get hammered in the summer".
How is any team expected to develop with this type of pressure on their backs? Cavan's record since the sixties has been comparable to that of Fermanagh. We had one great summer when the gods aligned and we made it to the hallowed turf of Croker, when we were so close to togging out on the third Sunday of September that we could almost smell the Deep Heat and hear the air horns. Other than that, we've been also-rans, never winning a league title, landing just two provincial Under 21 gongs and no Ulster minor since 1974.
And yet... The Bottom Line has said it before, and he'll say it again - the "long suffering" Cavan supporters have contributed to the team's lacklustre performances over the years. Their level of expectancy is so preposterous that it has suffocated the team, and undermined their belief. For example, we're in the league semi final and we haven't lost a match. The reaction? Big deal, it's division 2B. However, had Cavan maybe lost to Meath or Wexford, or not ground it out against Sligo, the response would have been outright disgust.
And then you have the vicious circle which the "demand for success" creates. Young players are thrown into the senior squad too soon in the rush for a quick fix, and when they crumple under the strain (as often happens), they get turfed out to make room for the next prodigy. So the cycle of "hope, defeat, clearout, rebuilding job, hope..." continues ad infinitum.
How can the current regime be any different? Simple – let's get behind this side, and not with daggers in our hands. We're back in Croke Park for the first time in a decade, and we're favourites to reach a national final at senior level!
The Bottom Line has no doubt that a game in Fortress Croker will lift Cavan's performance. What footballer in Ireland wouldn't be invigorated by a chance to take the field on the biggest stage of all?
After that, struggling Down come to Breffni where they'll face a hell of a battle. Momentum counts for a lot in county football, and believe it or not, this Cavan side is on the move. Now is the time, to paraphrase the wizened old colonel in Full Metal Jacket, to jump aboard for the big win. Go on, you know you want to...

cavan4ever

Some lad over on hoganstand is saying that the game is in Lonford on Sunday.  Anyone hear anything offical?

Homer

Quote from: cavan4ever on April 16, 2007, 10:34:06 AM
Some lad over on hoganstand is saying that the game is in Lonford on Sunday.  Anyone hear anything offical?

Seen that alright but I suppose this link disreputes that.

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/18003E858F253A90?artistid=955185&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=229

Ryano

Mon and Meath @ 6pm
Cavan and Ros @ 7.45pm

The Bottom Brick

That link says 1 o clock Homer?
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!