Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bottom Brick

QuoteI think we're one of three but that's by the by anyway..

I know you're wrong but that's by the by too.

Great point about Aidan Connolly. A class player, and supposed to be our centre back "rock" back then. Soon as McHugh cut him out, we won an Ulster title.

Your attitude of "it will bite Keogan in the ass" is ridiculous. The attitude of every Cavan supporter should be "Fuckin hell, this is amazing, we're unbeaten from seven league matches, how long can we keep it going" not "We need Gaynor, boo hoo, how long before we're beaten"...

In case you're still wondering, only ourselves and Donegal are unbeaten after seven. Monaghan are unbeaten, but they still have one match to play.
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

cavan4ever

Quote from: The Bottom Brick on April 10, 2007, 05:07:35 PM

The attitude of every Cavan supporter should be "Fuckin hell, this is amazing, we're unbeaten from seven league matches, how long can we keep it going" not "We need Gaynor, boo hoo, how long before we're beaten"...

I think the problem is that we have only played poor teams and having being conviencing in beating them.. Yes were unbeaten but who have we beat that will cause problems for anyone in the championship Wicklow, Waterford, Sligo, Tipperary and Antrim and drew with a poor meath team and should have been beating by wexford.

cavanmaniac

Ah right, you have me on a technicality there but you know what I mean ;)

Cavan4ever has answered your other point already. Fair play to the lads for their upsurge in spirit and togetherness etc. but If you want to live in the moment somewhat deluded about our true worth like a displaced Dubs fan seduced by hype or something, carry on by all means, but anyone watching the team in the last few months can see what's coming down the line unless something the trend is radically bucked and there's no reason to suspect it will. I don't know about you, but I tend to find thinking about our team's mid and long term prospects as half the craic of following them in the first place like...

None of us know how things will turn out but my qualified optimism at the turn of the year was based on keeping better elements of the team together. Not discarding them without giving them a chance. We've had ample time to see if playing without Gaynor was a wise move, we now that patently it was not and that's from playing the weaker teams in the country, whatever will happen later on I shudder to think. If or when results turn bad, Keogan will be asked the difficult questions about Gaynor and in fact, it's ridiculous that he hasn't been called to task on it before now.

The Bottom Brick

You can only beat what's put in front of you.

I'm very confident we'll make the league final now, I think we're going to destroy a team soon.

That same poor Meath team beat us in the final league match two years ago, and we're blessed to come away with a draw this year in Navan against a Cavan team with 3 league debutants, one of whom was sent off for nothing after 10 minutes.

Wexford who "should have beaten us" (do you mean because we missed three handy frees or because we had a midfielder sent off for nothing?) were in the Division One league final two years ago.

Give the lads some credit, they're getting results and the performances will improve. There's no point hammering teams in March and April.

Plus, they're still trying out their best team and positions eg Gunner midfield, Cullivan full forward etc so to be getting results is very encouraging.

On the Gaynor thing (yawn), he made his bed by going to Oz when the team we're in the hard slog, would that be Keogan's reasoning? Or is it the huge question mark over his big match temperament? Or is it something personal? We don't know...

The players would know Gaynor's qualities, and flaws, better than us I would think. Do you honestly think that if they wanted him back,he'd still be in exile?

I mean the likes of McCabe, Gunner, Forde, Miller, McKeever etc have been around long enough to know if they need him - if they wanted him, he'd be there in my opinion.

33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

cavanmaniac

Yep a certain degree of credit is due and it is encouraging, and last year we'd have lost half the games we won this term but it's all qualifed by who we beat and the manner in which we did so. And all the while there's a massive glaring problem area that's plain to see and Keogan has really cut off his nose despite his face IMO. I don't know how much training Gaynor missed while on tour but if had been brought back in and worked hard to make up the shortfall, I wouldn't have had a problem and if it benefitted the team overall, neither should Keogan..I just can't see why you'd deliberately choose to be without a key player, that's all, and if we don't pay dearly for it later I'll be hugely (but pleasantly) surprised. It doesn't look like a football decision, put it that way.

Wexford should have beaten us because their half backs and midfield were all over our powder puff half back line until they chose to protect their lead and get cynical. Their mistake, other teams won't be as reticent to press home a clear advantage like that. Poorer teams than them gave us lots of headaches as well especially Antrim around midfield, so while there's reason to be encouraged there's equally as pressing reasons to be concerned. I'd be less so if we had Gaynor because the problems stem directly from the area he'd slot into.

And thankfully the days of the players calling the shots on team matters are long gone and good riddance, and well done Keogan for that at least.

anglocelt39

Ballyhaise man was asking me about my views on the half back line given that the blokes on Northern Sound reckoned some of them did ok. Perhaps I was being a bit harsh on some of them, however there were times when Waterford were absolutely skating through our backline, particularly down Crowe's side. Somebody posted after the Antrim game that the half back line needed to be cleared out, looked a bit like that at times on Sunday as well. On the topic of Northern Sound, did they reckon anybody did not play up to scratch? Listen in on the internet by times and comes across as a radio version of the Celt-see no evil, hear no evil, do no evil.

The all against one argument about Gaynor goes on, The Brick actually has a point, the man's discipline record etc. has the potential to be an issue, and I for one would love to see him there as an option. I would  not rule out changes at even this late stage, if you remember back to our last stint in Division 1 Mickey Lyng was sprung on the last day of the league campaign, did Gaynor make his start that day as well or did he come in even later in the season in advance of his barn stormer against Down?

Anyway, job done for the moment, all else a bonus, hoping for lots of them.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

The Bottom Brick

Quotedid Gaynor make his start that day as well or did he come in even later in the season in advance of his barn stormer against Down?

I think his first match was actually the Down game

Who could emerge though?

I think Lyng's return will give us a massive dimension, his workrate alone...
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

BallyhaiseMan

Im off the opinion its too late to be bringing players into the panel now,if they havent been training with the county for the last month.
it cant do much for the squad morale if they see players being brought in ahead of them who havent done the hard graft under Grimley over the last 6 months.

id say Crowe,Eamon Reily and Brennan will get one last chance to stake a claim for places in the half back line for a championsip place in the league Semi Final.

The Bottom Brick

QuoteIm off the opinion its too late to be bringing players into the panel now,if they havent been training with the county for the last month.

What??!!! Are you insane Ballyhaise Man?

Don't you know that Anthony Gaynor should be on the Cavan team!!!

In fact, we'd nearly be better off playing with 13 a side and just Gaynor in the half back line rather than not having him on the panel. :D

33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

anglocelt39

What??!!! Are you insane Ballyhaise Man?

Don't you know that Anthony Gaynor should be on the Cavan team!!!

In fact, we'd nearly be better off playing with 13 a side and just Gaynor in the half back line rather than not having him on the panel.

Clearly a case of too much time on the hands. Can we declare a Gaynor free zone for a week or two?
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

The Bottom Brick

QuoteCan we declare a Gaynor free zone for a week or two?

Yes!!!
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

The TopKat

Bottom Brick-Levi should definitely get a call up after his performance on Gaynor! Keogan must have it in for him too seen as he hasnt been called into the panel! :D :D :D

cavan4ever

I wonder has Keoghan been at any club games ?, anyone seen him about?

It would be hard for some of his selectors to get to games when there at there own club games.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: The Bottom Brick on April 10, 2007, 05:07:35 PM
Great point about Aidan Connolly. A class player, and supposed to be our centre back "rock" back then. Soon as McHugh cut him out, we won an Ulster title.
Cant remember the draw cavan had to get through to get to the ulster final, but although great to win it, hardly a brilliant victory (dubious circumstances against a team noted for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory)

the issue/problem/disaster was only shown up in Croke park where Cavan were cruelly exposed for NOT having a CHB and poor Bernard morris tried to play the kingdom on his own

shotstopper1

Quote from: The Bottom Brick on April 10, 2007, 05:42:46 PM
On the Gaynor thing (yawn), he made his bed by going to Oz when the team we're in the hard slog, would that be Keogan's reasoning?

This doesn't hold, at least one other current player (who played most of the league games),had opted out and didn't join the panel until after the McKenna Cup.