Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Lads to liven this thing up a bit

Pick your senior and junior/development panels for next from what you have seen of the championship.
around the 30 players each mark.

Mine
Senior
Goalkeepers

James Reily(Drung)
Paddy Galligan(Killygarry)

Backs
Michael Hannon(Drumgoon)
Eoin Smith(Killygarry)
Eamon Reily(Cavan Gaels)
Gavin Duffy(Cavan Gaels)
Martin Cahill(Denn)
Darren Smith(Lavey)
Gary Fernacombe(Drumalee)
Dermot Sheridan(Mullahoran)
Pauric Cahill(Killygarry)
Ronan Flanagan(Castlerahan)
Oisin Minagh(Redhills)
John McCutcheon(Cootehill)
Padraig Reily(Ballinagh)
Keith Fannin(Drumgoon)
Gunner(Mullahoran)

Midfielders
Tomas Corr(Denn)
Sean Reily(Cavan Gaels)i know he has a discipline problem,but i think that could be worked on.
Thomas Reily(Killeshandra)
David Givney(Mountnugent)

Gearoid McKiernan
Forwards
Michael Lyng(Cavan Gaels)
Sean Johnston(Cavan Gaels)
Cormac Nelligan(Cavan Gaels)
Cian Mackey(Castlerahan)
Ray Cullivan(Ballyhaise)
Declan McKiernan(Killeshandra)
Gerard Pierson(Gowna)
Paddy Gumley(Redhills)
Ray Galligan(Lacken)
Brendan Fitzpatrick(Belturbet)
Martin Reily(Killygarry)

ommissions include
Rory Dunne-probably worth another go at wing back.
Ciaran Galligan-not at midfield,but i would like to see him tried at full forward,theres potential there and hes only 24,he can be worked on.
Larry
Jason
Two legends who have entertained us for the last 15 years,but i think its time to start afresh.

Nicholas Walsh-If he could be effective at full forward then he should be on,but i have my doubts
Eugene Keating-wasnt good last year at all except against Down,lots of potential but i think he should struggle to make the panel.
Michael Brides-great servant,but the legs just arent there anymore
Lorcan Mulvey
Barry Watters(if he could stay fit he would be on the panel)
All Good footballers in my opinion,but most should be struggling to make the panel.

Development panel

Goalkeepers
David Clegg(Cootehill)
Fintan Reily(Redhills)

Backs
Declan Reily(Baileborough)
Barry Kelly(Ballyhaise)
Enda McCormack(Drumalee)
Kevin Donohoe(Drumalee)
John Gurhy(Cavan Gaels)
John O Dowd(Drumlane)
Daniel Graham(Cavan Gaels)-i think hes improved alot this year
Stephen Jordan(Lavey)
Damien Barkey(Ramor)
Patrick Carroll(Ballinagh)
Niall Reily(Ballinagh)
Jonathon Higgins(Belturbet)

Midfield-some could play in the forwards aswell
Alan Durkan(Ballinagh)
Trevor Crowe(Lacken)he seems willing to play for the juniors
Damien Smith(Lavey) Raw but has potential
Shane Cole(Ramor)
Gearoid McKiernan(Swad)

Forwards
Eoin McGuigan(Belturbet)
Sean Og Gargan
Mark McKeown( both Kingscourt)
Darren Jordan(Lavey)
Jack Brady(Ramor)
Niall McDermott(Ballinagh)
Paddy Byrd(Baileborough)
Michael Cunningham(Swad)-still has much to offer senior team IMO,but he should at least be on this panel at the start of the year.
Christopher Curran(Swad) if hes not still on Man U's books

left out a couple of my clubmates who i think should get a trial including

Brendan Lyons
Eamon Costello
Colm Reily(Junior panel which he was on last year)
Fergal Slowey etc
and more but im not really impartial when it comes to that so i left most of them out.

what are the opinions?
Who do you think out of all the players i named should be on the panel or shouldnt be anywhere near it?

CC1

I think Curran is playing for Forest Green in the Conference at the moment. So I would doubt he would be available.

I notice you've omitted Kevin Brady (Lavey) from those panels BHM, I think he should be a certainty. Any time I've played against him he has always been head and shoulders above any player on the pitch. He looks to have done very well in the intermediate championship too with 2-2 in the final. Definately worth a call up.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

boojangles

Good work BH Man. Some I wouldn't agree on TBH and think you were a bit harsh on your own club.Fergal Slowey and Eamon Costello should be at least part of the Development panel-IF there is goin to be such a thing-Big IF I would say. ::) ::)

Some names I would add to the list-Be it senior or Development Panel-Looking at some club games it was very hard to tell the County Seniors from the Club footballers.

Colin Lynch- Crosserlough
Pauric and Barry McKiernan- Crosserlough
Colin Kiernan-Denn
Colm Smith-Cootehill (if available)
Ciaran Sheils -Mullahoran
David Finnegan- Ballinagh
Cillian Reilly-Killeshandra
Dane O Dowd (Drumlane)

I will think of more but thats off the top of my head

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: boojangles on October 09, 2009, 12:20:43 PM
Good work BH Man. Some I wouldn't agree on TBH and think you were a bit harsh on your own club.Fergal Slowey and Eamon Costello should be at least part of the Development panel-IF there is goin to be such a thing-Big IF I would say. ::) ::)

Some names I would add to the list-Be it senior or Development Panel-Looking at some club games it was very hard to tell the County Seniors from the Club footballers.

Colin Lynch- Crosserlough
Pauric and Barry McKiernan- Crosserlough
Colin Kiernan-Denn
Colm Smith-Cootehill (if available)
Ciaran Sheils -Mullahoran
David Finnegan- Ballinagh
Cillian Reilly-Killeshandra
Dane O Dowd (Drumlane)

I will think of more but thats off the top of my head
Good call on Kiernan and Reilly Boojangles. Nobody has Finbar Jordan in either. And BH man what's your ginger corner back called again? I liked the look of him-as a corner back I mean. :-*

Denn Forever

The weather is awful here at the minute.  Hope it clears up for tonight.  Has the makings of an exciting game>
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

jonb_cúl

according to the forecast its due to clear up for early evening, its looks to be heading that way already from where i'm typing here!!!! Yea should be an exciting evening alright, i wonder will there be a bigger crowd tonight.

Heard somewhere that crosserlough are the longest serving senior side in ulster!!! :o

I see Flanagan played there Wednesday night for ulster in armagh, anyone hear of any other cavan player playing or on the bench?
You can't win derbies with donkeys.
Babs Keating
Before Tipp played Cork in 1990.

put-it-up

Well lads!

BHM man, sorry only getting back to you now with regards to Niall Kelly. The fella technically would be one of the best our club has ever produced but it is fairly obvious he is not in peak physical condition. I think if he had have made the county minor panel this year that would have sorted him out but management didnt want to take a chance on him. He is definetly in the best three free-takers in the county. Scored a few lovely ones last night in the Junior Final.

Hope he gets fit and hits the ground running next year, still has the potential to be very, very good and our club needs him.

Crosserlough won last night 1-09 to 9 and Bailieborogh won the Junior C by 2-5 to 2-2 against Killinkere.

Been talking to a few lads and I hear the county are getting their house in order which is good to hear. Apparently they are going to be doing a lot of boxing trainin and I think there was a trial game during the week. Haven't a clue who was playing now or anything like that.

Also after all the shite about the regional games, I dont even think they are running them this year! Can anyone confirm that?

put-it-up

Unfortunately there has been another tragedy in Cavan GAA circles lads....

young Cristopher Shiels from Ramor and one of the better players for the county minors this year died last night in a car accident from what I am told.

May I extend my sympathies to the family and everyone in his club. Knew the fella quite well and he was as sound as can be.

In the long-term he is a big loss to Cavan football and cant imagine what his close friends and family are going through at the minute.

RIP man.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: put-it-up on October 10, 2009, 12:15:26 PM
Unfortunately there has been another tragedy in Cavan GAA circles lads....

young Cristopher Shiels from Ramor and one of the better players for the county minors this year died last night in a car accident from what I am told.

May I extend my sympathies to the family and everyone in his club. Knew the fella quite well and he was as sound as can be.

In the long-term he is a big loss to Cavan football and cant imagine what his close friends and family are going through at the minute.

RIP man.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam
Nothing on the news as yet but that is terrible indeed.

put-it-up

It's on Aertel now...

I was praying it wasn't true but that confirms it. Spoke to one of his closer friends aswell....

Such a horrible thing to happen..

mylestheslasher

Another terrible tragedy on our roads and within Cavan GAA circles. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

tierworker blue

Rip. Thoughts with his family and friends.

boojangles

An awful tragedy.may he Rest in Peace.Another sad loss of a young life and a sad loss to his club and Cavan football.

Denn beat Mullahoran in the League in Crosskeys today by 4.Very narky game,where any one of 4 or 5 could have got gate.In the end only the Bauld Eddie got the line for an an awful high elbow on David McKiernan,Lucky he didnt break his jaw.
Denn are still in with a chance of staying up,They need to beat Crosserlough next week.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: boojangles on October 11, 2009, 05:43:59 PM
An awful tragedy.may he Rest in Peace.Another sad loss of a young life and a sad loss to his club and Cavan football.

Denn beat Mullahoran in the League in Crosskeys today by 4.Very narky game,where any one of 4 or 5 could have got gate.In the end only the Bauld Eddie got the line for an an awful high elbow on David McKiernan,Lucky he didnt break his jaw.
Denn are still in with a chance of staying up,They need to beat Crosserlough next week.
I hope Denn stay up after the year they've had.
I think the Divsion 2 promotion race is over with Cootehill beatink Knockbride. As far as I know that's Kingscourt and Killeshandra up.
The Gunner won the World Hanball Championship for the third year running in Portland yesterday. Great achievement.

Denn Forever

So we still have a hope? 

I thought it was too little too late?  Wasn't at the game but as Bojangles said it was rather like bad blood rather than Narky.  Are Crosserlough safe?  Could it be a dead rubber for them?  Don't fancy it in their back yard.

Hope springs eternal though.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...