Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bottom Brick

I agree about Mackey, he is so frustrating, I generally don't rate him whatsoever but I thought he was better than usual last night

Very impressed with his Castlerahan clubman though, Flanagan is sheer class and a hardy bit of stuff too
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

cavanmaniac

Didn't make the game - haven't got to a Cavan match all f**king year with one thing and another >:( but always make sure to harvest as much opinion as possible!

Mackey is a luxury item on this Cavan team. He's a pacy stylist who basically wants ball handed to him in plenty of pace so he can speed off. But as time goes by and he leaves his underage days further behind this becomes less and less useful as the modern game simply doesn't allow lads like this to shine, they just get swallowed up. If he had a good brain for bringing others into the game or an absolutely dead-eye aim for the posts when shooting, he'd be worth including but he does not, and will never make it as a county footballer IMHO.

All reports suggest that Cavan were terrible on the night v Sligo, which is worrying. The nearer championship comes and the more tuned up our opponents gradually become as training and fitness levels converge, the worse we're starting to look. But let's not forget, at turn of year we said promotion, one win in championship and perhaps 2 qualifier wins would be progress and I'm holding to that. I'll be far more disappointed if U21s don't show in Ulster although having scouted about, it seems there's three or four more teams in the province who'll be a tad stronger than us this year - as usual. Here's hoping.

As regards seniors, Rabbitte can't come back quick enough with the double-bonus of freeing Forde up for the half-back line where he belongs. He was best centre-half in Ulster a few years ago and might be a better long term option than Chesty, although that said I haven't seen them play this year

Encouraged that Mulvey is still progressing. Held little hope for him at start of year but he hit the ground running versus Derry and has kept going. A bit of bulk and ignorance is badly required in the Cavan team which might be provided by Nicko Walsh - not surprised to see my prediction on him and O'Hara coming true btw - but Mulvey has what Walsh hasn't in a bit of skill to go with it.

Wexford game will be do-or-die, although don't forget Waterford are lurking again too and have been showing up well enough so far this year. We've a way to go for promotion yet it seems.

cavan4ever

Antrim in belfast will be no pushover either maniac.

cavanmaniac

Yeah you're right, we've struggled at times in all games this year against so-called weaker opposition. Tipp had their moments against us and so did Wicklow so there's no point in assuming we'll go to Belfast and win either.

It'd be galling to miss out on a top two spot second year in a row but hopefully we'll get past Antrim and Waterford, leaving the Wexford game in between as the real acid test. Getting interesting now anyway, even the scoring averages are tight with ourselves and Them Across the Border  ;)  on +14 and Wexford a point behind us at +15.

Are the county U21s out this weekend or the weekend after?

cavan4ever

This saturday in clones.  I dunno if there will be many at with parades on but hopefully a good enough crowd willl go down to support them.

BallyhaiseMan

il be there cheering on my 3 clubmen on the panel,i think with there being league games next weekend, Less players will drink :P(probably),and there should be fairly sizeable Cavan contingent in Clones.

cavanmaniac

What time is throw-in? I might be able to swing something with work to get down there, if I don't get to see a blue jersey in action soon I think I'll shrivel up and die.

mylestheslasher

I heard from a source that Rabbitte injured his calf when training in the gym which is setting him back on his recovery. He may be in a position to feature against Antrim. Don't know what is going on with Lyng.

I think we will beat Antrim easily enough, they seem to be going worse than ever up there - I expected a bit more from them this year to be honest. Wexford will be a very big game. A win there will probably see us promoted before the Waterford game. Meath have to play Wexford too and they also have to travel to Wicklow. Two dodgy games. Wexford themselves have a potential banana skin next time out against Sligo. Sligo will be really up for that one too. They could do us a huge favour by beating Wexford.

Can't make the U21 game so hope some of ye will be taking notes and post some form of a report here. Cheers.

cavan4ever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 13, 2007, 02:15:14 PM

Can't make the U21 game so hope some of ye will be taking notes and post some form of a report here. Cheers.

I nominate ballyhaiseman for that seen as he won't be drinking til at least sunday evening!!!

footballmad

new cavan fan on this board,have been reading it for ages."long time reader,first time posting!  :D  some good stuff posted up here.

cavan4ever

welcome footballmad.  yeah its a gud site alot better than hoganstand anyway!! 

Homer

Welcome footballmad, good to have you aboard.

Will be at the u21 match alright, think throw in is now at 2 but i'll let you now if I'm wrong.

Any word on Cullivans fitness he'd be huge loss.

cavan4ever

it's on at 1.00 according to Aertel

cavanmaniac

Good Friday is on a Tuesday this year according to Aertel, pay no heed to the error-prone fools!!!

Although maybe they have it right, who knows. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day after all. ;)

Homer

It was originally set for 12 noon, I was told it had been changed to 2 last weekend, but the source wasn't too sure. Aertel could be right for once. I'll find out for sure and post it asap.