Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Myles
You're completely correct,
I playing with Ballyhaise have had run ins with Ballinagh and Gaynor in particular,but the guy is a class act.Brian McGuigan went to Austrailia for 6 months and when he came back was brought straight back onto the panel and was probably the key element that won them the all ireland that year.
a Gunner, Gaynor and Brennan Half back line would have serious potential.
Rabbitte has to show he can stay fit,if he cant we need to try Michael Brennan at full back,i thought he done well there last year.
It will be Benny Coulter again at full forward most likely on the 5th of June,and we need a player who can compete with him in the air,Micky Hannon wasnt fit to do that last year.

Blue06

On Lyng I heard picked up another knock recently and has prevented his comeback but according to Hoganstand him & Rabbitte are both expected to line out for the Gaels this weekend.

The Gaynor situation is strange.  I guess you'd have to be close to the scene to know whats going on.  On the flipside of that the fact that no stories are emerging points to a united group.  What I did hear in December was that Gaynor told management he wouldn't be back from Oz until April.

Unless as previous posters said we are not privy to certain facts I can't understand why hes not back in.  If he is being used as an example (high profile player on team & in many eyes a certain starter) that no one is immune from the drop then imo its a risky move.
Maybe he will be recalled in April where his fitness & commitment will be guaged.  i.e. if he is serious about playing then he will have kept himself in shape.  I don't know I am just speculating though I really would like to see him back.

anglocelt39

I knew that the certainties posted by our colleague, as apposed to the opinions that most of you offer, would eventually bring me out of posting retirement.

Gaynor goes on holidays, has been sent off the odd time. Dispense with him-let's see how they do it in successful counties that have considerably more choice than us, take Kerry for instance. At least two of last year's all ireland winning team are in Australia at present. The management team are in touch and they will be offered a chance to prove themselves when they get home. Not a terribly macho or even BBrikish approach, but good enough to win the odd all ireland none the less. Donaghy gets sent off twice in the league so far this season-our man would no doubt have him exiled to Siberia, methinks the Kerry approach will be a bit different.

Good management is about accommodating differences in people. Your approach is grand in theory. You bang on a bit about psychology the odd time, well you don't need to be a psychologist to know who a lot of guys would rather have on their team when the chips are down-a superfit junior footballer with shag all presence and less ability or a 95% fit top class player who would not expect from his team mates any less than he would do himself.

You make some good points sometimes BB, pity you don't sometimes remember that you don't have all the answers to the travails of Cavan football, any more than the rest of us. If you'd been around in the Mid 80's to replace big Jack in that other game, Paul McGrath would never have won a cap...................................

PS-like your footer, we're winning Sam in 07-front or back door-I need to know if my user name is to change come Sept.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

trim blue

any new management team should wipe the slate clean with players, let them know what is expected of them and if those expectations are not met then they can have no complaints. Gaynor seems to be treated differently to other players at the moment, God knows if the same rules were being applied across the board then we would only be left with half of last years panel. McKeever is a case in point, if he was being judged on his behaviour last season then he wouldn't have got a sniff this year either but he has been made captain and while I agree with this its a case of double standards when you consider the treatment of Gaynor. When you take account of Gaynors Senior Inter County career I think he at least deserves a chance to prove himself to the new management. If he wants to go back in and make himself available then management should be letting him know the reasons why they don't want him at the moment and telling him what he has to do to get back in, from the various posts here by people who know him and the Cavan set up that doesn't seem to be the case. Of all people Keoghan should appreciate what it is to be given the benefit of the doubt
ah sure tog out anyway

The Bottom Brick

Anglo Celt, why the personal attacks??

I've just given my opinion, which I am entitled to believe is correct. I haven't ridiculed anyone with a different opinion, or accused anyone of thinking they are some sort of expert.

Bear in mind, this is a discussion board.

If someone posts something with which you don't agree, give your opinion by all means, but don't attack the other person.

I have said that Gaynor is a superb player, but I agree with what I presume are the managements reasons for not including him.

33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

cavan4ever

Whats the U-21's chances in ulster this year?? 

Homer

Quote from: Homer on December 06, 2006, 01:43:03 PM
Hey folks new poster here, well probably more of an observer than poster.

Anyway take a deep breath, cos I'm from Ballinagh!! But don't worry I won't be littering the board with up the nagh crap that goes on the hoganstand.

Just to give yous more of a Ballinagh related inside track on the county, Podge isn't going in because he is in his final year in college but he will play for county u21s.

P.S wouldn't be surprised to see Gaynor booted of the panel at some stage, not that he is an angel or anything ;D, but Keoghan has it in for him and will send him packing given half the chance.

I have previously made my views clear on the Gaynor v Keoghan situation, but the above message was my very first post on this board, it was a week or so before Gaynor decided to go to Oz. I don't mean it in a 'I told you so' manner, I'm just pointing out that it was quite well known that Gaynor was never going to be given a fair chance this year, even back then.

Quote from: cavan4ever on March 01, 2007, 09:59:04 AM
Whats the U-21's chances in ulster this year?? 

The u21s won against Louth at the weekend 0-10 to 0-07, haven't any team news I'm afraid, but Dermot Sheridan has been named captain this year.

If I'm honest I'd say this years team is not as quite good as our ill-fated 05 season, but still one of our best teams for a while, a decent chance of Ulster imo.

BallyhaiseMan

nothing that we dont already know anyway but still.
Key players could be back for the Sligo game from Hoganstand
28 February 2007

Cavan supporters are delighted with the strong start to the league season by the county side – they are presently on top of their group and very much in contention for a promotion place at the end of the season.

And they could get an added bonus next time out against Sligo in the NFL Division 2B with the news that the Cavan Gaels duo of Michael Lyng and Darren Rabbitte are expected to play some part in this game.

Their return to action is a timely boost ahead of some very important games in the run-in in the league campaign – and is great news for both players who have struggled badly over the past season or more with injuries.

Back fully recovered and match fitness they would greatly strengthen the Breffni panel, and it is expected that they could line-out with their club, Cavan Gaels in their opening round game with Denn in Terry Coyle Park, Cavan this Sunday.

BallyhaiseMan

Club leagues start this weekend
My Predictions

Division One

Mullahoran v Ballinagh,  Ballinagh win by a couple of points
Belturbet v Cuchullains,  Cuchullains win by 3
Gowna v Ballyhaise,  Ballyhaise Win by the minimum,but i would say that :P
Cavan Gaels v Denn, Cavan Gaels win by at least 8 points,with the returning Lyng and  having a huge impact.
Kingscourt v Drumalee, Kingscourt by at least 5
Drumlane v Lacken, Lacken win by 4
Castlerahan V Crosserlough, Crosserlough win

Divsion Two
Laragh Utd. v Ballymachugh - Laragh with home advantage to win
Bailieboro' v Knockbride- tough one to call, Baileborough under Vincent Kelly will suprise alot this year,i fancy Baileborough.
Killinkere v Shercock- Killinkere win, a tough opener for newly promoted Shercock
Drumgoon v Drung- Drumgoon win
Lavey v Cootehill-Lavey win by at least 8
Killygarry v Redhills-  i think redhills could do well this year...But i think Killygarry will run away with this division this year. Killygarry by 5.
Swanlinbar v Ramor Utd-  Narrow Ramor Win

Division Three
Butlersbridge v Cavan Gaels B- Local Derby,i fancy the Gaels but not by much
Shannon Gaels v Corlough--Shannon Gaels by a good margin
Maghera v Arva---Maghera to come away with a rare win.
Mountnugent v Munterconnacht--------Munnterconnacht to massacre the worst team in the county.
Cornafean v Killeshandra----------Killeshandra win this local derby
Kill a bye

Division Five
Killinkere v Shercock--------Killinkere have a very strong B Team,so i can only imagine them winning.

cavan4ever

It will be interesting to see how many of them you get right.

BallyhaiseMan

cavan4ever

yep early season games are never to predictable.. i can see drung beating drumgoon though thats one you will get wrong  :D

BallyhaiseMan

that really is one that could go either way.
Thomas Jackson managing/coaching Drung again this year?

cavan4ever

yep it will be tight enough but i think we should edge it  ::)

yeah he is still with us .. good coach but i reckon we will never win anything with him in charge!!!

BallyhaiseMan

if youse could get all your available players aka Finbar Crowe :P training and fit,You would be there or there abouts in September/October in Breffini..maybe drungs window of oppertunity to win the intermediate has closed  :-\
should be some interesting ties , anyway im out of the computer lab, and off probably for the weekend, Best of luck to you all playing this weekend cept the Gowna ones  :)