Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swadman

Quote from: put-it-up on March 11, 2009, 09:20:11 PM
to be completely honest with you SOK i gave up on the post a couple of months ago. The standard just got really bad before christmas and when the celt got new leadership, it just blew it out of the pond. It's a shame I used to like the post - they did different things and really freshened things up. Who is in charge of it now?

what kind of name is CSI for a column in a Cavan paper anyway :D
Must stand for "Cavan Sports Idiot"
Re the U-21s, Gearoid McKiernan didn't play for Swad at the weekend v Corlough. He is nursing a fractured toe, possibly out for 6 - 8 weeks. I watched them in a challange v Fermanagh in Swad 3 or 4 weeks ago. Dunne at FB was masterful, Watters in Half back line was very busy and gave good diagonal ball into the forward line. Thomas Reilly played well and would def be concidered for a start. Our man is a great fielder and a good athlete and point taker but still has a bit to learn about MF, like when to pass and when to run it.   

cavan4ever

Quote from: Thastheball on March 12, 2009, 10:18:07 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 21, 2009, 02:51:47 PM
Thatstheball - how do you think the players will react after the widespread criticism of their performance against Tipp? Will we get a big effort against Down or will it be more of the same.

I answered

Quote from: Thastheball on February 21, 2009, 03:01:40 PM
In the past when the players have taken that criticism they have reacted. So I would expect that to happen again.

100% spot on.

Sorry THB couldnt resist  :P

put-it-up

Quote from: whats my name on March 12, 2009, 09:03:29 PM
I don't plan watching this football again next year if the shamrocks were any addition they wouldn't be in this division in the first place. that comment is a bit demeaning to clubs and players in division 3!!!!!

what's my name i shalll apologise to you. I didnt mean to upset anyone. I know we are were we deserve to be. Sure we have been hovering in the bottom of Division Two for the last 2 or 3 years.

A club in a town of the size it is, should not be in Division Three. Not many of us are used to being considered a division three team (it hurts), so you can understand if i want our rebuilding operation to be as short as possible. Don't even know if we are good enough to get out of it yet, tougher challenges ahead

put-it-up

Quote from: RednBlack on March 12, 2009, 09:31:24 PM
Quote from: put-it-up on March 12, 2009, 08:18:16 PM
Quote from: anglocelt39 on March 11, 2009, 09:55:19 PM
Put it up, have all the 95 lads gracefully retired to the Comfort of Nixys etc. or are there still a few around? Did it end up a mixed blessing, lads wanting to retire, young lads not getting a chance and chucking it in etc. Vital to get up from Junior level straight away I would think.

it was a bit of both to be honest anglocelt! The likes of Lambo and Charlie Clarke i think realised it was for the clubs benefit that they step aside and get a new panel coming through. To be honest it was badly needed. For the last few years the dressing room has been as stale as second hand bread.

The evergreen Gerry Sheridan may make an appearance in the summer. You see alot of young lads were getting pissed off that they were not being given a chance because of the older players reputations. But to be fair the new manager has had a mini-clear out and I reckon the average age of the squad now is 23 or so. O'Mara, Declan Reilly, Gary Reilly, James Cooney and Sean Cooney are all talking alot more responsability this year.

You have probably never heard of many of these but I suppose that was the problem with the club, young lads werent coming through.

I admit we are not playing great stuff, but it is nice to be winning again. A long long way to go though

Fingers crossed we get out of DIV 3 straight away. I don't plan watching this football again next year. No disrespect tp the other teams.

What's the story at underage in Bailieboro. I see they are down in Div 2 at Under 12 grade. Doesn't see to make sense. Are they that low on numbers this year?

I dunno whats going on there. Didn't even realise they had dropped down. I can only imagine its down to numbers. Why don't O'Neills give out some free football's in schools or something..I never see kids around the town playing ball anymore.

We have won the last 3 U16 titles I believe. Unfortunately, I don't know why that success is not been transported to minor or u21 level

whats my name

i hope the u-21's can do the business on wedensday they have a talented team i hear that armagh might be missing 6-7 players that are playing in the all-ireland the day before so hopefully we can catch armagh on the hop!!!!!!

cavan4ever

Whats my name !!!!

What has happened u since the end of February even sentance ends with a clatter of !!!!!!.

Anyway i will be away for the weekend and wont get to the game tomorow evening so hopefully Haise man or someone else will have a report up !!!!

Celt_Man

Quote from: cavan4ever on March 13, 2009, 12:27:49 PM
Whats my name !!!!

What has happened u since the end of February even sentance ends with a clatter of !!!!!!.

Anyway i will be away for the weekend and wont get to the game tomorow evening so hopefully Haise man or someone else will have a report up !!!!
Consider it done but what a dose if I have to start to go to the match before the Six Nations match is over!!!  It better be worth it!
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

mylestheslasher

Afraid I won't be able to make my way back from the West on Saturday. Look forward to a match report from the usual suspects and not looking forward to listening to Northern Sound.

cavan4ever

Quote from: Celt_Man on March 13, 2009, 12:54:51 PM
Whats my name !!!!

Consider it done but what a dose if I have to start to go to the match before the Six Nations match is over!!!  It better be worth it!

Fair play.
Why dont you head over to Cavan and watch the Rugby in the Orchard there was a good crowd in for the last match and was good crack, and when its over tip up to the park.

Celt_Man

Quote from: cavan4ever on March 13, 2009, 02:05:32 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on March 13, 2009, 12:54:51 PM
Whats my name !!!!

Fair play.
Why dont you head over to Cavan and watch the Rugby in the Orchard there was a good crowd in for the last match and was good crack, and when its over tip up to the park.
Not a hope, can't stand watching matches - apart from most soccer matches because it is so much slower -  in the pub sure you can never get watching them properly.... and you always have some know it all beside ya - and I'm enough of a know it all that I don't need the opinion of another one!!!

put-it-up

Does everybody else find listening to Northern Sound a painful experience!!!

Celt_Man

Quote from: put-it-up on March 13, 2009, 03:43:23 PM

It's a torment I rarely put myself through, I usually just ring around till I find someone I know at the game and then plague them for updates.... The auld fella couldn't follow the game last week at all, apparently they kept saying that Johnny Crowe was CHB and him on the wing - simple mistake I know but it was easy to see he was on the wing the whole game too!!
I love the dead silences for 5 - 10 seconds and then "oh a goal" or "and it's a red card"!!!!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: put-it-up on March 13, 2009, 03:43:23 PM
used to be amused by its football coverage initially, then after listening to 40 mins of the game and still couldnt fathom who was winning or what score it was (a lot of new players on both the cavan and monaghan teams that day made it doubly hard) I barely caught the final score at the end announcing monaghan had won.

the diddly diddly stuff and 1950's style might have suited the father in law, but feckin hell its torture to have to listen to (and he insisted on having it on in the car when youd be driving too).

put-it-up

ah their coverage really is chronic. no offence, but they are atrocious at their work. They rarely tell us the score and one of the boys, spends most of his time describing players relations than the game.

Sometimes I wonder if they can actually see what is going on!

anglocelt39

The only real chance I get to follow Cavan's progress these days is via Northern Sound on the net. After a while you have no choice but to get used to it , in fact it gets to the stage of being "so bad it's good" type of thing as you wait for the next faux pas. Put it up I've seen the Shamrocks play twice in the current century-distance and slim pickings being the reason, still a few of us keep tabs on things from  a distance so I would be familiar with a few of the names you mention.

Seems from what you say that a few of the old guard stayed around a bit too long, happens in manys a club. Are the likes of Neil Donnellan, Rob Mulhall, Andy Coleman togging out-it's lads like that you would need to be stepping up if you are to bounce back. Young Luke Sheridan was one hardy buck at minor level, I think injuries did him no real good. Will watch, as best we can, from distance. Keep us posted.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds