Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4ever

Have any of use seen keoghan durning a game he just walks up and down the line and its grimley that makes all the positional changes and subs.   

Homer

Quote from: cavan4ever on February 13, 2007, 11:48:53 AM
Have any of use seen keoghan durning a game he just walks up and down the line and its grimley that makes all the positional changes and subs.   

Ah no thats not all Keoghan does, he also claps his hands together and shouts WORKRATE! WORKRATE! WORKRATE!

cavanmaniac

True story there Cavan4ever.

Keogan is just the front man, Grimley is the real manager, heard as much from a 'sauce'  ;) I meet occasionally. At least Donal knows his limitations and surrounds himself with people who know what they're at, although Keogie Bear's infuence must still extend to calling the shots on Gaynor's inclusion or not. Shame.

It's a real folly to leave him out and it's all sweetness and light in these honeymoon days of games against weak-ish opposition in February, but come June when the real stuff starts we'll all be tearing our hair out if Gaynor isn't there, martk my words, and then the hard questions will be asked of Keogan. Unfortunately, he'll continue to get away with leaving Gaynor out until the real hard tests later in the year when it's too late to bring him in and train him up.

BallyhaiseMan

Championship Draws

Junior Championship

Munterconnacht v Templeport

Shercock v Killeshandra

Corlough v Cornafean

Arva v Maghera

Butlersbridge v Mountnugent

Kildallen v Shannon Gaels

Intermediate Championship

Ballymachugh v Lavey

Ballinagh v Baileboro

Drung v Drumlane

Drumgoon v Kill

Coothill v Redhills

Ballyhaise v Swanlinbar

Laragh v Kilenkere

Senior Championship

Drumalee v Ramour

Castlerahan v Crosserlough

Mullahorn v Denn

Kingscourt v Cuchulainns

Gowna v Cavan Gaels

Lacken v Belturbet

Knockbride v Killygarry

cavan4ever

yeah workrate workrate.   There are lots of peolpe who reckon that the team is better of without gaynor (he will get sent off etc) but i know id be happier to see him in the cavan team than not in it.. I wonder if we set up a Gaynor supporters club here would it help  :P

trim blue

For all his faults Gaynor needs to be in there come May, he may have a bit too much fire in him at times but i'd prefer trying to take a bit out of a player than trying to put it in. Sorry to see report in Sun Indo about this being Paul Bradys last year with Cavan too.
ah sure tog out anyway

cavanmaniac

I don't know much about the psychology etc. but some players are good enough to warrant carrying on a team to see can they be improved. Alex Ferguson never tried to totally take the bad element out of Keane or Cantona, likewise Wenger with Vieira etc, instead they toned it down but retained the core aggression for the good of their teams. If anyone is cut out to do such a job for Gaynor then it's a thinker like Grimley.

The point is that every team needs a player(s) like Gaynor and Cavan have had precious little of this type of edgy warrior for too long. Moral victories are the best that teams of nice guys get in todays dog-eat-dog gaelic football world. I accept Gaynor is a ticking bomb sometimes but people can be taught to channel aggression legitimately without losing the edge in their play, and in Gaynor's case I think we're dispensing with him before allowing him a concerted chance to prove he can be an asset as opposed to a liability.

Without him, we have alot less steel and we will suffer greatly for it in summer IMHO. Your current assessment of him may well be correct, I can't say, but what I do believe is that it's a mistake to assume he could not and would not change, especially if he's so mad to be involved. He doesn't even need to change too much either...

Who knows, maybe he's been left hanging on the line for a while to make him appreciate his place when or if he does get it back? Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

cavan4ever

you made some gud points there.  He really did piss me off in that U-21 final but when he is with the seniors he hasn't been all that bad disipline wise.  Forde or walsh are just as likely to get sent off as him.  Walsh wasn't on last week when he was booked and could have got the line later.  Evertime forde tackles he boxes the ribs of his man ..   Correct me if im wrong but is gaynors disipline record with the seniors all that bad??

mylestheslasher

Bottom Brick - I hear what your saying but for me Gaynor has the potential to change. I'm not shooting you down, just stating an opinion. I would say that he has the ability to be one of the best Ctr backs in the country too. I agree that grimley seems like an ideal person to sort the lad out too. For christ sake he has weened McCabe from taking frees and somehow he has got him fit again. Even Larry looks fit. To finish, there are many lads that whinge that they "have" to play county football - it is nice to know that Gaynor is mad to play. For god sake let the man back in to the panel I say.

BallyhaiseMan

I think Gaynor is needed back on the county scene,If theres a man in the country that can channel that aggression its Grimley.
I hear that Darren Rabbitte will be available against Tipp,
He has to prove he can stay healthy to contribute throughout the year, he does seem very injury-prone,Lyng is also a couple of weeks away from return.
along with soon returning Hannon(5 weeks away) and Johnny Crowe, we should have lots of options in the backline soon.

on a different topic
Cavan Hurling
Cavan Team to Play Longford in the 1st Rd NHL

1 D Sheridan Mullahoran
2 D Neary Woodford Gaels
3 K Downes Cavan Gaels
4 A Nelligan Cavan Gaels
5 M O Gorman Leixlip
6 J Lafferty Carndonnagh
7 A Sheridan Mullahoran
8 M Hill Ballymachugh
9 P Sheridan Mullahoran
10 W Farrell Ballymachugh
11 J Donohoe Mullahoran
12 R O Hagan Mullahoran
13 E Dalton Mullahoran
14 M Mc Entee Mullahoran
15 R O Hanlon Cavan Gaels
16 P Baxter Ballymachugh
17 J Fitzsimons Mullahoran
18 S Og Brady Mullahoran
19 F Coyle Cavan Gaels
20 C Mc Manus Woodford Gaels
21 P Sheridan Ballymachugh
22 S Lee Cavan Gaels
23 K Hanneffy Cavan Gaels
24 M Murphy Cavan Gaels
25 P Brady Mullahoran
26 B Harten Ballymachugh
27 T Craig Cavan Gaels
28 PJ Kelly Cavan Gaels
29 P Devine Woodford Gaels
30 G Clerkin Mullahoran

The prestigious Cavan Hurling get back into action soon enough against Longford.  :)

cavan4ever

Thinking bout goin to the U-21 game on saturday.  anyone kno how to get to the pitch??

Homer

Slashers is located approximately 1 mile outside the town on the road to Ballymahon/Athlone.

From Longford Town the pitch is out past the railway station and past the dog track along a main road.

C-na-G

Homer

Handball Ace

Went along to the match, here's a few quick observations

1 Slashers is some set up, puts every club in Cavan (not least Chelski Gaels) to shame

2 We may forget about Mackey, he's the exact same as James Clarke was a couple of years ago. You can get away with scorching pace at minor level but when he makes the step up, the lad won't count. Stay on his inside and 4 times out of 5 he'll either solo round in circles and get smothered, overcarry, or kick the ball wide or straight up in the air

3 Raymond Galligan is the best kicker of a dead ball in the county, including his club mate Finbar. Will be good to see can he do it under pressure in a really big match. He looks sluggish on the ball, but worth his place for frees alone

4 Podge is vulnerable against a strong, barrel chested type full forward. The Longford no 14 was extremely limited, but still took Reilly (who I rate very highly) for 3 points

5 We have two big, strong reasonably mobile midfielders, great to see it

6 Simon Delaney's mouth is more notbale than his playing ability. Needs to cut back on the treied and trusted Peter Schmeichel bull, and concentrate on not being lobbed

7 Had we Ray Cullivan around the middle for the hour, we'd have beaten them easily

8 Heard a lot about centre back Sheridan, wasn't at all impressed

9 Slowey is a hardy bit of stuff. Saw him get the mother and father of all roastings for the minors a year or two ago, but he was stead and tigerishy, in the first half at least. Very small though, as is Killian Lynch

10 Martin reilly wasnt at the races in the second half, the jury is still out on this guy

Our usual underage complacency, wasting chances, lack of killer instinct came back to haunt us. Did anyone else feel Cavan had a couple more gears in them?