Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trim blue

Rossi, thought that Mulvey was hit going through with the ball, didn't look like he was holding back to me.
ah sure tog out anyway

BallyhaiseMan

From Hoganstand
Brennan in for Breffni Blues
07 February 2007

Cavan have made one forced change to their side for Saturday's NFL Division 2B encounter with Wicklow under lights at Kingspan Breffni Park.

Michael Brennan comes in at wing back for Jonathan Crowe, who received a straight red card in the sixth minute of last weekend's clash with Meath. Incidentally, Brennan is a Meathman (from Navan), who previously lined out for the Simonstown Gaels club.

The only other change to the starting fifteen sees Michael Cunningham and Lorcan Mulvey swap positions with the former moving to midfield to partner Dermot McCabe.

Cavan – (NFL v Wicklow) - J Reilly; M Cahill, A Forde, K Fannin; P Brady, E Reilly, M Brennan; D McCabe, M Cunningham; R Cullivan, M McKeever, L Mulvey; G Pierson, R Gallagher, S Johnston

cavan4ever

Good to see Brennan getting a game. He was pretty good in the league last year and then was now where to be seen come championship. Hope cunningham stays in the game for longer this week he really went out of it after starting superbly against meath.

BallyhaiseMan

well lads..very good win tonight
0-17 0-10

1.James Reily-----kickouts were good, made one brilliant save in the second half to deny Wicklow a goal,Is a class keeper. 8

2.Martin Cahill--------- assigned a man marking job on Wicklow Dangerman Tommy Gill, stuck to his task very well and even got forward to help set up scores also.8

3.Anthony Forde----------This was Fordes quiestest ever match for Cavan,didnt see much of the ball, solid in his defensive duties. 7

4.Keith Fannin----------defended well and came forward to kick a lovely score. 8

5.Paul Brady-------Not his best game ever for Cavan,but still was very solid,kicked a good score as well. 7

6.Eamon Reily-------Best game ive seen Chesty play for Cavan yet,defended well and attacked often at pace,did f**k around with the ball at times,but impressed with him. 8

7.Michael Brennan-------My Man of the match,Made some awesome blocks...defended well,always got something on the ball...carried the ball forward at every oppertunity and scored a lovely point at a key time in the second half when Cavan were struggling. 9

8.Dermot McCabe-------done well around the middle of the field,a much more mobile McCabe that we have seen in the past 5 years, sprayed the ball around well,giving some lovely ball in the forwards. 8

9.Michael Cunningham-----wasnt an arthodox Midfielder seemed to be playing between Midfield and the Forward line,Used his pace to outrun the slow immobile Wicklow midfield and kicked a lovely score from play,didnt fade out of the game like he did in other games aswell,impressive. 8

10.Ray Cullivan------outstanding playing as a third midfielder..fielded some ridiculous ball around the middle...linked well with the midfield and rest of the forwards...missed one scoreable free but kicked over 3/4 more...got a dirty dig by one of the wicklow players,went off with a blood injury,must have gotten stitches as he didnt return. 9

11.Mark McKeever-------went through an awful amount of work,not like the vintage type of performances we have seen from him,taking skyscraper points and lovely passing and ballycarrying...But the new captain has shown a newly found work ethic this year.
when his undoubted ability starts to show later in the year,God help his opposition marker. 7

12.Lorcan Mulvey--------replaced at half time,out of place at wing forward,Hes either going to succeed at midfield or nowhere. 6

13.Gerard Pierson-----kicked some lovely scores from play and Frees...is a real handful for any cornerback...replaced by Larry near the end. 8

14.Rory Gallagher-----played a withdrawn role between the half forward line and full forward line... 1/3 45 metre frees...also kicked a lovely left footed point from play. 7

15.Seanie Johnston---------missed a gilt edged goal chance...and was wide from play as well,Not Seanies best day at the office. 6

Subs
Nicholas Walsh----On at midfield for Mulvey with Cunningham switching to half forward....Solid, beaten for a very aerial tussles, made one marvelous one handed grab as well. 7

Cian Mackey----replaced Cullivan,very lively and sharp looking kicked one very good score...and set up various other attacks. 8

Jason Reily------replaced Johnston...set up a score for Gunner, didnt see to much more of the ball. 7

Larry Reily-------prominent when he came on,seems Grimley has gotten to him about passing the ball instead of shooting from site,made a good score.
dont think i missed any subs,but aplogies if im wrong.

Brief story to the game
Outstanding start to the game, we went 0-5 to 0-0 up before going out of the game and Wicklow brought it back to 5-3....
Cullivan,Cunningham and Chesty prominent in carrying the ball forward and we won numerous frees.
in the second half of the first half for a spell of about 10/12 minutes, i dont think we got one break,and Wicklow came back at us...
it was level 0-6 to 0-6 at half time....
It was the same story in the second half, we came out all guns blazing...eventually going 0-11 to 0-6 up with some lovely scores especially from Pierson left footed and off balance,some real slick movementby forward and half backs.
we then fell asleep again,Wicklow came back to within 2 points ( 0-12 to 0-10),They also came very close to scoring a goal but Miller saved brilliantly.
In the last Quarter
Cavan Turned on the style...Lovely scores from Mackey,Cunningham and Brennan included as we tagged on 5 points to make it 0-17 to 0-10, thats how it finished.

analysis
Goalkeeper and defence very sound...
Full back line didnt see that much ball...Half back line with,Gunner Chesty and Especially Brennan was outstanding.
McCabe very good at Centre Field,Cunningham isnt an inter county midfielder,He played well tonight especially when moved into wing forward,Mulvey wasnt good in the half forward line, we have to find out if he is fit to be McCabes Centrefield partner or not.If not
then we have to find who that will be.
Cullivan outstanding in all aspects until he went off,Same with McKeever.
Pierson and Gallagher very good with Jelly having an offday......

Wicklow were poor but we dispatched with them well,
I expect the same against Tipp next weekend.

trim blue

Great report Ballyhaiseman, couldn't make it so thanks for all the info...  don't think that Mulvey is going to make the cut at either midfield or half forward line so do you think that Walsh is the best midfield option for us? Great to see that Brennan did so well last night..
ah sure tog out anyway

BallyhaiseMan

Walsh might very well be the best option at midfield if Mulvey doesnt make it...
Ciaran Galligan  Michael McDonald are also in the panel, id expect some of them to get a shot against Tipp aswell.

Homer

The u21s played Meath again yesterday in Virginia, they won 0-8 to 0-6. Starting team.

1.  Simon Delaney
2.  Fergal Slowey
3.  Emmet Madden
4.  Declan Gallen
5.  Enda McCormack
6.  Dermot Sheridan
7.  ??
8.  Padraic O'Reilly
9.  Padraig Smith
10. Geroid Collins
11. Raymond Galligan
12. Martin Reilly
13. Anton Reilly
14. Liam Duignan
15. Aaron Duignan

Meath had a huge midfield out and Podge and Lukey could only contest to break, McDonald came on at half time with Podge moving back to full back. It was still all breaks, and Cavan were slower to get to them.

Ronan Flanagan also returned to the fray with twenty minutes to go looked fairly fit and lively.

A lot of other substitutions made including Finbar Jordan in at WHB, Andrew Smith into goals (no shots on goals, but Delaney's kickouts were better), Cian Mackey and Killian Lynch were also introduced.

Galligan kicked four fine frees and one from play. Martin Reilly looked our main threat up front and was very unlucky to see one opportunist lob come back of the crossbar, still scored 2 points.

Liam Duignan in at full forward was very poor and taken off at half time.

Homer

Cullivan was outstanding on saturday. He was at the u21 game on Sunday too and was sporting a nasty looking shiner under his eye (seemed to be a couple of stitches too). I don't know did anyone else think this but I thought it was Walsh that accidently stood on him and not the Wicklow man.

Walsh later threw his head back into his man before falling to the ground like he was shot himself under the stand. It was a nasty act.

Cian Mackey's not tracking back nearly cost us that goal with five minutes to go. He was standing in the middle of the field as his man raced through.

We were lucky that Forde was kept quiet as anytime the ball did come his way he would give away needless frees. I hope Hannon or Rabitte regain fitness soon as we can't get away with a full-back that can't tackle for much longer.

I also forgot to mention that Hastings Cup final against Roscommon is on in Longford Slashers grounds next Saturday, at 2:30.

cavan4ever

Is the Tipp game def next weekend??? 

Ballyhaiseman young cullivan is a fine player.  I seen him last year a few times in the club championship and didn't think he was great, but from the meath and wicklow games it's obvious that he is a class act.  Johnston is after having 2 poor games now although he isn't doing much wrong other than not being as consistant as last year with his point taking.  I think out forwards will cause alot of teams problems if we can get good early ball into them ... anyone agree????

mylestheslasher

Was at the match on Saturday. I'd broadly agree with what Ballyhaiseman says in his report. However, I though Forde was very poor at full back. Diving into tackles and constantly getting turned. Surely he knows as full back he is the last line of defence? I don't think he won one 50 50 ball with his man. Best player on the pitch was Cullivan. When he went off things started to go against us a bit. I thought Walsh was excellent when he came on too. My worries are that we are weak at full back, need Gaynor at half back and are  not carrying a goal threat. As I said before Wicklow are a poor team so I wouldn't get too excited about this result.

cavanmaniac

Good informative posts by all there, for us out of towners up here in the big shmoke who can't get home for these weekends that matter. >:(

The word from home seems to be still encouraging anyway, let's hope it stays that way. Sounds like Cullivan has made a very promising start but there's a part of me winces when I see our young talent being relied on so heavily so early in their career.

I know he's strong and capable and so on but we will truly never learn the lessons from John Tierney.

Any word when Rabbitte is back, and is there any chance we'd try this Thomas Corr bloke in some of the next few games? None of the players we've tried thus far are in any way adequate as number 3s.

cavan4ever

i don't think that to many lads are going to be tried out in the league.  A top 2 finish is the target and the management are going to play what they feel is the strongest team in every game.  After 2 league games it looks like they are happy with the 20 or so lads they have used.

Don't think that forde is worth his place this year he gives away 2 many frees and with michael hannon, rabbitte and hopefully gaynor to come back i can't see a place in defence for him.

cavanmaniac

That's another thing, where is Gaynor...is he still in Australia, or just the slightly less salubrious surrounds of Ballinagh? A bit worrying that there's no word on him coming back, especially as some reckon he made himself available and was ignored by management...is there some sort of history between him and Keogan?

Madness to leave this guy out of a defence that WILL creak against good opposition.

cavan4ever

He came back weeks ago.  Sure i don't think he was even away a month.  He tried to ring Keoghan several times when he came home but the wont answer his calls.  He met him in town one nite and keoghan never mentioned football to him.  It's the team that is gonna suffer most because of this i think that we need gaynor in the team and if he isn't brought back soon his fitness levels will b crap.  Every team needs a player who is gonna hit hard and rise oppositon players but of course he is easily risen himself which is one downfall.

Homer

Quote from: cavan4ever on February 13, 2007, 11:23:44 AM
He came back weeks ago.  Sure i don't think he was even away a month.  He tried to ring Keoghan several times when he came home but the wont answer his calls.  He met him in town one nite and keoghan never mentioned football to him.  It's the team that is gonna suffer most because of this i think that we need gaynor in the team and if he isn't brought back soon his fitness levels will b crap.  Every team needs a player who is gonna hit hard and rise oppositon players but of course he is easily risen himself which is one downfall.

Your spot on 4ever. He's home a month now and mad to get involved. I've even heard that Keoghans fellow selectors have asked to bring him in. But as I said a while back Keoghan has never been a fan of his and is too stubborn to budge on this issue.