Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanmaniac

We heard that about Marty McElkennon as well lynchbhoy, but I still hope you're right. ;)

Team above looks a little bit raw in the back six apart from Forde and Fannin at fullback is not a long term solution, but from the middle up we look strong and expecting Meath to be a little behind us in terms of fitness, match practice and settled team, I think we can upset the old enema, I mean enemy, in their back yard. Here's hoping anyway, it's a game we simply can't lose if we want to see Division 1 next year (I'm refusing to contemplate the Tommy Morphine Cup scenario unfolding) and it's a great chance to strike a blow on one of our main promotion rivals early in the competition.

Where's anglocelt39 gone, the week of a Meath game is not one to be lying low...get up outta dat and rally roun' de blue flag!

Real football. Thank f**k it's back. ;D

Handball Ace

Gaynor could take his holidays when he's suspended after losing us an Ulster Under 21 title?  ;)

Don't know if the backs are that "raw", Paul Brady is there too and Cahill is always steady... Surprised to see Chesty centre half though...

Lokking forward to seeing Cullivan, it's about time Cavan threw a big strong 19 year old straight out of minor on to the seniors. sure it worked with Paddy Brady and John Tierney!

In all seriousness, I think we'll get a result. We're 7/4 which I think is a savage price

cavan4ever

What are you views on Nicholas Walsh as a player?? 

cavanmaniac

I'd be mostly worried about Fannin at full-back and Chesty at no6, two key positions and neither of these guys inspire confidence at times. We'll see how it goes though.

Someone asked about Nicholas Walsh...I think he's a decent enough option as he's strong and willing to put himself about, gets up well to break ball if not clean catch it too often. Sometimes a bit too narky I think, seems to have picked up a real nasty Aussie streak while down under. A decent member of the panel when fit IMHO, not especially skilful or quick but almost certain to see action against Meath at some stage.

Rossi

If this is the 15 to be playing,I'd imagine that Chesty will be moved to FB and Forde to CHB with Fannin going to CB.
I agree with Handball,although Cullivan is a big strong lad and talented footballer,he's one for the future and should be given a chance to develop with the U 21's and his own club senior team for another year or so.Likewise with Martin Reilly another good prospect, but needs at least a years football with Killygarry to gain a bit of senior football experience especially seeing as he was more or less out of the game for about 2/3 years.

anglocelt39

Thanks for asking after me Maniac. Am trying to keep to the new years resolution of keeping my paws off this board. Not having lived in the County for god knows how many years, not being involved in the game at all up there it suddenly sort of occurred to me that I have absolutely nothing of merit to add to the conversations/debate save the same oul fuckin platitudes. Plus, as John Leahy of Tipp said in the media during the week January is a great month for optimism, which don't come naturally to me, as you know.

Logging on regularly and enjoying the updates and insights from the Breffni lads who are close to the Action. Fingers crossed for Saturday night. Hope to attend some of the fixtures in darkest Munster against the might of Tipp and Waterford. If so, will post an edited report.

Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

trim blue

Lads I've been a distant admirer of your posts for the last year and shared your hope and despair about our beloved blues without giving you my tuppence worth. As a Cavanite exiled in deepest darkest Meath I only now, after trudging back from tonights gut wrencher in Navan, feel I can add my simple thoughts to those of yours. On the one hand tonights result was a travesty with Cavan 'deserving' to win this match, on the other hand it might just be another in a long line of matches where Cavan fail to put away the opposition and close out the deal. On balance I think that the positive far outweighs the negative and I'm once again like one of those Bisto kids floating on a sniff of hope that is a peculiarly Cavan thing. Didn't see the sending off but presume Crowe took a dig at someone and the resulting performance with 14 men was heroic in many ways. I suppose the one thing that keeps me buoyant at present, Keoghans 'credentials' notwithstanding, is the attitude this year. The difference from last year is startling, and McKeever is the epitome of this. In 2005 I thought that he would win an All Star before long but last year he was a microcosm of everything that is wrong with Cavan football. This year having seen him in the McKenna Cup and tonight, he is getting back to the level of performance he showed against Armagh and Derry in 2005. We badly need Rabbitt back and probably more strength and height upfront, maybe if McKeever hadn't to go back and stayed CHF we might have benefited from his power and ball winning ability. Impressed with young Cullivan and thought a harsh free was given against him for over carrying which then led to Meath goal (altough he should have passed inside!). Big game from McCabe and hope he keeps fit, nice touches from Gallagher as our playmaker, great free late on but he doesn't look that fit yet. Good early scores from Cunningham but thought he faded a bit. I think that Walsh will have a more central role to play in this team yet and he did well when he came on. Anyway thats enough rambling for a newbie!
ah sure tog out anyway

cavanmaniac

Welcome aboard trimblue...the Cavan mafia grows stronger on gaa board. ;D

Didn't see the match in Navan or hear much about it yet, but it sounds like it was a typical Meath never-say-die thing and pox a goal at the end, see report below from GAA.ie. Fair play to them in one way though, if we were Meath fans we'd be delighted and singing their praises.

For Cavan you might be worried about putting teams away and so on and conceding shitty goals to inferior teams (hope Rabbitte is back soon), but given we had 14 men you can't be too hard on them, and besides, the real thing to be positive about is the super attitude shown by the players in contrast with last year. Longer term this will stand us in better stead than failing to pick up two points in Navan on a Saturday night in February, and getting just the one instead.

I don't think it'll damage our promotion prospects too much. Our biggest remaining games are Sligo and Wexford, we have both those at home whereas the Riles have to travel to both. We have yet to see what sort of form Sligo and Wexford are showing this year but one way or t'other, we look well placed to go up if we keep the hammer down and stay focused...and I think we will, judging by reports on Grimley and training etc.

Meath 2-7 Cavan 0-13

Local derbies can be contentious, emotional events at the best of times and this was no different as Meath once again showed that they just can't be trusted to lose when everything points to that conclusion.

In their Allianz NFL Division 2B clash with Cavan at Pairc Tailteann on Saturday night, Colm Coyle's side limped through a game that Cavan had deservedly earned the right to win, especially following the dismissal of debutant Jonathan Crowe early in the opening half.

With a numerical disadvantage to contend, it was impressive that they sported a 0-7 to 0-2 lead deep into first-half injury time, but then Brian Farrell pounced to net a goal that changed the flow of the game.

With a 0-7 to 1-2 lead, Cavan could still fancy their chances though and further scores from Gerald Pierson and Mark McKeever extended their lead to four points once more.

However, Anthony Moyles, who impressed greatly in his role, Farrell and Joe Sheridan ensured the second half never ran away from the hosts as the first half had.

Rory Gallagher at last was finding his form for his adopted county, and put Cavan 0-10 to 1-5 ahead before Pierson, Aidan Reilly and Jason Reilly made it 0-13 to 1-7 as second-half injury time began.

Everything looked done and dusted until Sheridan swiveled to shoot goalward but while goalkeeper James Reilly got down to block it, he couldn't hold the ball and Farrell was on hand to shoot the loose ball into the empty net for the equaliser.

trim blue

Thanks Cavanmaniac, yeh I think overall the vibes are good and there is more reason to be positive than negative at the moment.... despite getting the draw I can tell you that Meath are far from happy and in no way see this as the latest example of them being never bet..
ah sure tog out anyway

mylestheslasher

Made a long trip to Navan yesterday. Overall I was happy leaving the ground. We were clearly the better team and I am glad to report that Meath will win nothing this year. The ref sent Crowe off after 5 mins for something that no one else in thr ground seen. There was no player holding his head from a blow or anything, so only the ref knows what he was sent off for. His umpires were equally strange. They waved a meath point wide that was 100% over, then the waved one over which was 100% wide. In any case Cavan were the better team. Very good in defense, putting a lot of pressure on the Meath kicker which resulted in a lot of their wides. Other positives were the performances of McCabe in the middle, McKeever at Ctr Back and in the 2nd half gallagher at ctr Forward. The big positive was Young Cullivan, who was suberb. I can't remember seeing a Cavan player with so much potential. Excellent ball carrying, Sublime fielding and great passing. He seems to have an excellent head on him too and rarely took the wrong option. Mackey did well when he came on and fanin had a good game. On the negative we struggled to get out in front in the full back line and couldn't deal with the ball winning abilities of Joe Sheridan. We need Rabbite back. The last goal was also very poor on our side. James Reillys big problem is that he is dozy. He could have walked over and picked up the shot that Sheridan put in but instead he reacted slowly. Then he made a big error by pushing the rebound out in front of him instead of around the post. It was poor keeping all around. Reilly is proving to be prone to this sort of thing and I  think it needs to be addressed. On the whole it was positive and the results today went out way too with Sligo only drawing with Tipp and Wexford losing to Waterford. Wiclow thumped Antrim though but having seen a few of their games on Setanta in the O Byrne Cup we should be too good for them next week - as long as we don't get cocky of course.

Homer

Cavan u21s lost to Meath in a challenge today, conceded 4 goals. Team was:

1.  Andrew Smith
2.  Fergal Slowey
3.  Padraic O'Reilly
4.  Emmet Madden
5.  Finbar Jordan
6.  Dermot Sheridan
7.  Cormac Geoghan
8.  John Cunningham
9.  Andrew Taite
10. Raymond Galligan
11. Cian Mackey
12. Geroid Collins
13. Aaron Duignan
14. Anton Reilly
15. Killian Lynch

BallyhaiseMan

Home
Andrew Taite? Cuchullains?
Thats a strong back line,im suprised they conceded 4 goals alright....Smith at fault in goals? hes not County standard as you said before.

i didnt make the game in Navan unfortunately... but what i heard from clubmates who were at it...

Despite being a top keeper,Miller should have done better for the goal
Forde struggled with Sheridans physical presence in the full back line... which struggled under the high ball....but was good otherwise
Crowe harshly sent off for a trip....
Gunner and Chesty quite good...
McKeever very good at CHB...
McCabe lorded it at Centre Field...
didnt hear much about Mulvey played but i know he got injured
Michael Cunningham started very well,kicked two scores ,but faded out of the game...
Ray Cullivan outstanding throughout scoring 3 points......
Meath dropped an extra man infront of Pierson and Jelly,making it hard for them as Gallagher moved out to Centre Forward to replace McKeever who dropped deep.

Homer

Wasn't at the game myself BallyhaiseMan heard about it from a friend.

But apparently Smith was poor alright (conceded the first two) and was replaced by Delaney at Half Time he also let in two himself but looked a much better outfit.

Taite (Cuchulainns) was also out of his depth, so they moved Podge out to midfield with Madden moving to Full Back. Contested midfield a bit better alright but conceeded 2 further goals. I'm pretty sure I have the team below right but Geoghan at RHB may be wrong.

BallyhaiseMan

Simon Delaney or your club mate Terry Smith are the only two county standard keepers for the under 21's in my opinion.
Smith aint good enough.
Cunningham was good for Swad last year.....but unless hes improved his physical conditioning, hes not mobile enough for County Under 21 midfield, but a good player nonetheless...
Good to see Gearoid Collins back,Hope hes fit...a class act in my opinion... his versatility will be a great asset.

Rossi

Seen the Crowe incident out of the corner of the eye ,didn't seem to be too much just a tangle between two players, it was the reaction of Coyle more than anything else that got him sent off,racing to and remonstrating with the linesman.

McCabe was man of the match closely followed by Cullivan and McKeever.Gallagher had a good second half showing good vision with his passes for inside forwards.Full back is a major problem,Sheridan was cleaning up possession all night although his use of it was poor.Miller has had many better games,was at fault for the equalising goal and Gunner bailed him out in the first half also.Saying that the ball should never have got back up the field at that stage,Moyles or Sheridan when they had the ball should have being dragged to the ground.If the boot was on the other foot there would've being no way that Meath would've let Cavan in for a goal,call it cynical if you like but you need to be cynical at times to win games ,all the top teams are.
Did anyone think that Mulvey held back going in for a tackle and as a result got himself injured?

Quote from: trim blue on February 03, 2007, 11:33:19 PM
Impressed with young Cullivan and thought a harsh free was given against him for over carrying which then led to Meath goal (altough he should have passed inside!).

Don't think the Meath goal came from the incident mentioned,it came after Paul Brady was injured.For a lad who has only turned 18 in November he's a class act,although I still think he too young for inter county.He's as strong as a horse and won't stand back, had a bursted mouth at the end of the game.