Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Hollow Man on April 30, 2008, 11:57:01 AM
Normally you can have a stab at the championship 15 round this time but it's impossible this year.

Imagine trying to pick the midfield for example. It could be any two from:

McCabe
Mulvey
Walsh
Cunningham
Gaffney
McDonald

with only McCabe any better than the rest.

Then in the full forward line, Keogan is persisting with Mackey (who apparently went on the beer before the u21 debacle then was dropped then recalled), so it looks like any two from Mackey, Pierson, Eddie and Jason along with Johnston.

What odds someone completely new to join the panel yet and make a championship appearance? Quite likely I would think...

My team would be

Reilly

Hannon
Rabbitt
Brides/Fannin

Sheridan
Podge
Flanagan

McCabe
Walsh

McKeever
Forde
Sean Brady

Pierson
Johnston
Eddie Reilly

Who am I forgetting? Is Cullivan on the panel?

Chances are Martin Cahill will start - I also wouldnt rule out Keogan starting some of his favourites like Crowe (a poor man's Dermot Sheridan in my opinion), McCutcheon, Mackey...

Rory Dunne to get a game around midfield too, ya heard it here first.

I have a feeling that this will be a very short summer, and that Keogan will still be manager this time next year.

If he is still manager I am going to lead an angry mob to the imperial for a hanging :( Only Joking before I get banned or something. Team is impossible to pick. I mean, the team above from our 2nd last match before Antrim is basically a reserve team from those starting in the league. I think we need a new plan. Johnstone will be double marked by Antrim and will be removed as the level of  threat he can be. I know midfield is a mess but I'd guve serious thought to putting mcCabe at FF and leaving Johnstone inside with him with maybe Pierson. I think maybe Walsh and McDonald midfield (scored 1-1 against sligo but lets see how he does in next game vrs Meath). I think McKeever is suspended so he'll probably be replaced by Crowe or maybe Cahill. Rabbitte played FB against sligo and look at the score that went in, maybe it wasn't his fault I suppose. Feck it - i don't really know who will play where after that.

thejuice

The Cavan senior footballers have their final challenge game in preparation for the Ulster championship meeting with Antrim in Casement Park, Belfast on Sunday 18th May when they meet old rivals Meath on Sunday 4th May to mark the official opening of the Donaghmore/Ashbourne club's impressive new facilities at Ashbourne at 6pm.

After their defeat by Sligo at the opening of the re-developed grounds of the Shannon Gaels GFC, Blacklion the Breffni side will be hoping for a morale-boosting win against their near-neghbours and keen rivals down the years. According to reports both team-managements will be fielding their strongest available sides for this challenge, although the Royal county will be without a number of key players - currently serving suspension after the recent Dublin v Meath NFL Division Two encounter in Parnell Park, Dublin

With places up for grabs on both sides, Sunday evenings game should be very competitive and interesting, and the local Donaghmore/Ashbourne Club G.F.C. are hoping for a big crowd - with many Dublin-based Cavan folk hopefully making the trip out to the Ashbourne venue to see the current fitness and form of their side ahead of the Ulster championship clash with Antrim in a few weeks time.

Over ยง6.5m has been spent on the facilities which includes a pavilion with bar and functions room, ten dressingrooms, an indoor arena with an artificial surface, as well as two full-size pitches and two juvenile pitches.

Also provided is weights room and bar and functions room. With such outstanding facilities the Donaghmore/Ashbourne GFC are very much geared for a successful future.

The Cavan v Meath SF challenge has a 6.30 p.m. start.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

BallyhaiseMan

we lost to Lacken last night i think it was 1-11 to 2-7 but dont hold me to it,
Crucially for the county,

Ray Cullivan came off just after half time, and was heavily bandaged before the game,he has to be a major doubt for any championship football this year.

Ray Galligan was immaculate for Lacken from frees,
he has to start if only for his free taking and he was good from open play as well.

Trevor Crowe was sent off after a tussle with Barry McCrudden.

we were poor,we are going to get a hammering by Drumalee next week  :(

boojangles

I wouldnt count on that BH man,bet by Denn yesterday,went 6 points up with bout 15 minutes to go but let it slip and got bet by 3 points.We'r still missing a fair few but have to start picking up points again.Next Saturdays game is crucial for both of us.
I missed a humdinger of a match in Terry Coyle Friday evening by all accounts,any other results?

BallyhaiseMan

Cuchullains beat K'Garry in Crubery

Gowna beat Castlerahan well

Ballinagh beat Crosserlough 0-13 to 0-10

Belturbet beat Lavey

Lacken beat us it was 1-12 to 2-06 actually

obviously Denn Bet Yourselves

Gaels 2-10 Mullahoran 2-10

think thats it.

Rollout

Congratulations to Paul Brady who won the senior all ireland at the weekend. This win makes it 4 in a row and 5 in 6 years.

Its been an extrordinary season for Cavan Handballers this year with Paul and Michael Finnegan winning the senior doubles recently along with Padraig Cahill and Pat Clerkin taking all ireland Junior B honours. Pat Clerkin also won the singles Junior B alli reland while Kingscourts Roisin Faulkner won the Intermediate singles last weekend.

The newly formed St Pats handball club is busy developing the facilities in the college in Cavan and training up a new generation of players.

A doubles tournament for underage and junior grade players is being organised for 24th & 25th May. For more info see

www.cavan.handball.gaa.ie
http://cavan.handball.gaa.ie

The Ulster Handball Open 2007

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Rollout on May 05, 2008, 08:58:58 PM
Congratulations to Paul Brady who won the senior all ireland at the weekend. This win makes it 4 in a row and 5 in 6 years.

Its been an extrordinary season for Cavan Handballers this year with Paul and Michael Finnegan winning the senior doubles recently along with Padraig Cahill and Pat Clerkin taking all ireland Junior B honours. Pat Clerkin also won the singles Junior B alli reland while Kingscourts Roisin Faulkner won the Intermediate singles last weekend.

The newly formed St Pats handball club is busy developing the facilities in the college in Cavan and training up a new generation of players.

A doubles tournament for underage and junior grade players is being organised for 24th & 25th May. For more info see

www.cavan.handball.gaa.ie

Congratulations to Gunner, Michael Finnegan,Paddy Clerkin, pauric cahill and Roisin Faulkner(some good sporting genes in that family  id say) Gunner really is a terrific athlete.

Handball Ace

Yeah, very well done and congrats to Paul Brady and the other winners.

Cavan won six All Irelands in all, and will fancy their chances of another couple before the year is out.

Also, the Cavan 40x20 doubles championship is on in a couple of weeks. The St Patrick's club are trying to encourage fellas who played handball in St Pats to take it up again - they will be very welcome at this tournament, there will eb plenty of grades so beginners etc won't be playing Brady or Clerkin in the first round.

Good work on the website Rollout

Handball Ace

We may as well support the handballers because the footballers and hurlers don't look like winning anythign any time soon...

thejuice

Cavan won the challenge match against Meath on Sunday in Ashbourne, 0-16 to 0-15, from what I hear it was 2 experimental sides and played mid-tempo, Although I heard Meath were down by 8 points at one stage still hard to put value on it.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

mylestheslasher

From Hoganstand. Cavan fielding a near championship team versus Meaths reserves. Interesting again to see McDonald scoring 0-3, he also got 1-02 against Sligo which isn't bad for an untried player. I don't know much about the lad but he seems to be playing himself into a starting roll against Antrim. Question is, why wasn't he on the panel earlier in the year. Rabbitte looking like starting at FB but surely he should have been playing some matches before now. Half back line looks weak enough too. No sign of Forde at match

Meath 0-15
Cavan 0-16

Monday 5th May saw Cavan defeat Meath by the minimum margin in a challenge game which marked the opening of new facilities by the Ashbourne/Donaghmore club.

The huge crowed which attended the unveiling of the Meath club's grounds were treated to a free-flowing game of football with Donal Keogan's side coming out on top with a more smooth style of football, which helped them build up a seven point lead in the second-half.

Meath manager Colm Coyle put out a somewhat experimental side to face the Breffni County with nearly all of the squad participating in the county's Club Championships over the weekend.

The last time the two sides met was in league action earlier on in the year where a superb second-half performance saw the Royal County overcome at seven-point deficit to win by two points in Navan.

It was 11 minutes before the first score was on the board and when it arrived Cavan centre-forward Ronan Flanagan was the one to raise the first white flag for Donal Keogan's charges.

Jason O'Reilly thumped over a second for the visitors but a pair of Brian Sheridan frees in response levelled the sides.

Cavan came into a good spell soon after with Jason O'Reilly, Gerald Pierson and Michael McDonald all pointing for their side which was followed up by midfielder Dermot McCabe sending over a long-range trademark effort with his left boot.

The hosts replied through points from Brian Sheridan, David Morgan and Joe Sheridan in the closing stages of the half but it was Cavan who would take in a three point lead the interval, with the scores reading 0-8 to 0-5 at half-time in favour of the visitors.

Cavan began the second-half brightly with substitute Sean Johnston and Gerald Pierson firing over two more for the visitors.

Brian Sheridan, who finished the contest as top-scores with 0-7, done his best to pull his side level but Cavan more accuracy from Johnston and Pierson along with Michael McDonald and Martin Reilly saw Cavan take a seven point advantage towards the closing stages.

Points from Sheridan and David Morgan helped reduce the gap but it was Cavan who held out for a one point victory come Pat McEneaney's full time whistle.
Teams:

Meath: Mick Ahern; Chris O'Connor, Cormac McGill, Brian O'Reilly; Alan Nestor, Colm O'Mealoid, Terry Skelly; Rory O'Connor, Damien Sheridan; Ciaran Kelly, Brian Meade (0-2); Tadgh Brosnan; Brian Sheridan (0-7), Joe Sheridan (0-1), David Morgan (0-2) . Subs: Eoghan Harrington for Terry Skelly, Shane Carr for Cormac McGill, Mark Ward for Rory O'Connor, Cian Ward (0-1) for Damien Sheridan, Paddy O'Rourke for Mick Ahern, Graham Geraghty (0-1) for Ciaran Kelly, John Tully for Tadgh Brosnan

Cavan: James Reilly; Michael Hannon, Darren Rabbitte, Padraig O'Reilly; Barry Watters, Jonathon Crowe, Martin Cahill; Michael McDonald (0-3), Dermot McCabe (0-1); Martin Reilly (0-1), Ronan Flanagan (0-1), Gerald Pierson (0-5); Cian Mackey, Sean Brady, Jason O'Reilly (0-2). Subs: Sean Johnston (0-3) for Cian Mackey

Referee: Pat McEneaney (Monaghan)

boojangles

Was very suprised to hear last nite that Paul the Gunner is back in on the Senior panel.Apparentley Keoghan told him that he would b a definite starter for the Championship,Gunner has made it clear that Handball comes first.He trained last Thursday I believe.
Ah the whole set-up seems a shambles.Like how do the boys that have trained all year feel? I know that Paul is good enough obviously but it does no good to overall team morale for lads being brought straight in to the team at this stage of the year.
Interesting to see Pierson as a wing-forward,Keoghan definetely wasnt getting near the best out of him in the corner.

cavan4ever

Quote from: boojangles on May 06, 2008, 02:10:03 PM
Was very suprised to hear last nite that Paul the Gunner is back in on the Senior panel.Apparentley Keoghan told him that he would b a definite starter for the Championship,Gunner has made it clear that Handball comes first.He trained last Thursday I believe.
Ah the whole set-up seems a shambles.Like how do the boys that have trained all year feel? I know that Paul is good enough obviously but it does no good to overall team morale for lads being brought straight in to the team at this stage of the year.
Interesting to see Pierson as a wing-forward,Keoghan definetely wasnt getting near the best out of him in the corner.

Are you only finding this out now???

Course your not but nothing shocks me with them anymore.  Is there many heading up on the 18th??

mylestheslasher

I'll be heading up out of habit and nothing else. Don't hold up much hope of a win - Antrims management team have a 2/3 year plan to make progress and I expect this game is a big target for them. We are mentally and tactically weak and if they put it up to us we will crumble. Are the minors out the same day?

LaurelEye

Quote from: boojangles on May 06, 2008, 02:10:03 PM
Was very suprised to hear last nite that Paul the Gunner is back in on the Senior panel.Apparentley Keoghan told him that he would b a definite starter for the Championship

That would be all of the "Chicago Three" back then, wouldn't it? The three fellas who were never going to pull on a Cavan jersey again as long as Keogan was in charge?

As a Longfordman, all I'll say is that Cavan are a great comfort to us this year :)
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.